• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Return of the Slavelords, Part 2 - "Bright City, Dark Hearts"

Karl Green

First Post
[occ] Just to keep the game moving... [/occ]

The group ask a few innocent questions about the tower where the lights were seen by the group and the towns folks say "Well now that would be the old tower of Sevant. He was some wizard that lived here in these parts, oh going on 50 years ago. But he disappeared one night and there was a big explosion in the upper tower. No one seen him sense and the place as a curse look to it so we avoid it. But adventures have gone in many a time and found nothing there. Lights can sometimes be seen in the upper tower but no one lives there. We think it be ghosts or some such, but no one who has ever gone in has ever found any of them. Or any of the treasure that old Sevant was a suppose to have in there."

The next morning, with the first rays of sunlight, the leaning tower can be seen in all it's glory. It is about 80ft tall, leaning somewhat to the east, with a huge hole on the top and western side of it. It sits on a outlet that sticks out into the small bay here and on a small hill. Small, druidic rock markers are set up all around the base of the tower, and the trail leading up to it is overgrown from little use.

[occ] Depending on what you want to do. It is still a long days ride to get to teh ferry and then to make it to Bright Tower by the evening [/occ]

Scotley

Hero
Verrick Human Rogue/Wizard

Since we got through the night Verrick is ready to move on. Perhaps he is seeing slavers behind every rock. "Well my friends, I think prehaps I was unjustly worried about the old tower. Our present mission is clearly more important and I say we do not delay. Please forgive me for trying to wander off our chosen path."

Someone

Adventurer
"Then we move and arrive to Bright Tower soon. There we ask someone where the bandits attacked and look for them" says Norbac while examining his spear.

Karl Green

First Post
Moving out again, the group rides a couple hours and come to the small fishing village of One Ford. There the secure a ferry across the Selintan River, which I almost half-a-mile wide at this point. On the other side of the river, the party stops at Crossford the small village on the other side of the rider, for lunch. For such a small village (maybe 100 people total) it has an unusually large tavern called the Pig and Pony Inn. The food is quit good, and the locals are more then happy to talk with strangers. They say that there have been raids by humanoids to the west of late, they are believed to be from the Gnarley Forest or they might be up from the Orcish Empire. But most of the locals here are confident that the Soldiers from the Bright Tower Keep or patrols from Greyhawk militia, that patrol the roads for merchants in this area. There have been no raids into their area for some time, and these people seem fairly confident.

Moving out once again the party starts heading south and within an half-an-hour they see the slight glow of the keep on the southern coast… still some 30 some miles away, the famous glow of the Tower is visible for a long way. Two hours of riding later, the party comes into sight of the whitewashed Tower and the fort built up around it. The roof of the Tower itself glows with a magical soft white light. You can look at it without causing your eyes to get sore, and yet to many of the more light sensitive humanoid, it must be very painful to gaze at. From the small hill you are one, the party can see that there are two large guardhouses, a sables and smithy, all enclosed within a stone curtain wall. Siege towers are use in a rather unique fashion within the keep's grounds to form a secondary line of defense. You can also see that they are constructing a tall wooden and stone building within the walls of the keep, but there is still a wide field where soldiers are drilling.

As the party approaches the keep, a group of four cavalry soldiers ride out to meet you. The leader is dressed in functional, yet old, plate-mail armor, and carries a large steel shield with the symbol of Pelor on it. He is a human of middle year, with a long blond mustache, and wears a bastard sword at his side. The other riders are dressed in mail hauberk and carrying lances. The leader raises his hand and says "Hail and well meet travelers of the Mark. I am Sir Kirill Foka, knight-errant of this keep, and captain of the cavalry. I must ask, what business have you here?"

Scotley

Hero
Verrick Human Rogue/Wizard

With a slight bow and a doffing of the hat Verrick says, "Good Day Gentlemen, my name is Verrick Ardmore, my companions and I are here at the beheast of Sir Bernaldo Broavos. We have a letter of introduction for you." With that he passes over the letter.

Karl Green

First Post
Sir Foko takes the letter and nods his head as he reads it over "Ye will want to speak with the Captain then. This way...". Turning his horse he starts riding back towards the keep, while the riders fall in behind the party.

Passing within the walls of the keep, the group is lead towards the stables, when young guardsmen (very young BTW, the oldest looks to be 16) take your horses.

Sir Foko leads you to a side stairwell into the main white tower, through a solid iron reinforced door. Inside is a long, 30ft hallway, with murder holes running its length. At the hallways' end, it opens into a large assembly room, with three doors and a stairwell running up.

At the northern doorway, Sir Foko knocks twice and enters without waiting for an answer, motioning the party to follow. Inside is a fairly large yet Spartan room, with two desks set up. Behind one is another middle aged human, with gray throughout his black hair and beard. He looks up and meets all of you with his steel Grey eyes.

Taking the letter from Sir Foko, he quickly reads it over and then stands to come out and again he looks each of you over. After a moment of uncomfortable silence he finally speaks "My name is Captain Mayness,, may I know who I am addressing?

[occ] Assuming you do[/occ]

I served with Sir Broavos many a year ago, and trust his judgement more then I would care to admit it in most cases. We are on a war footing here, and I am not inclined to allowing outsiders within the walls of my keep. But these are strange times and so… how may I assist you? It does not say the reason that you are here, except to combat those forces that threaten the peace of the Grey Mark…

Someone

Adventurer
[Sorry, I missed the last post! maybe it´s because the thread doesn´t have much traffic lately.]

"We after a monster, a thing called ogre magus that here around. He a slaver, and a killer of innocent people; something that Trrithereon and me hate. We here to kill him, with His help, and finish the ogre´s attacks." says Norbac, making a lot of pauses while he tries to find the best words.

Karl Green

First Post
Captain Mayness looks at the half-orc and nods "Hmm well I have not heard of an ogre magi, but we have had problems with bandits of late. They have been attacking merchants between here and all the way to Safeton. I know not what help I can give you, but I can offer you a bed and food, and a base of operation if ye wish to hunt this scum while here. You might wish to talk with Huette, she is the head of my rangers here at Bight Tower. She might give you some idea where to look, especially if the bandits have been retreating into the Gnarley Forest as I suspect. I don't have the manpower to flush them out of there, but maybe ye all can.

"Other then that, there has been an increase of orc movement coming up from the Pomarj. If ye camp on the Mark or within the woods I would suggest no fires and keep a strong watch. The scum are more organized then they have a right to be and carry good function weapons and heavy armor. I have been requesting more troops from Greyhawk, but to many problems in to many places I would guess.

"Now it is almost supper, if ye wish you can join me and my men for food if ye have not eaten at the mess hall I was about to head over.
"

Someone

Adventurer
Norbac nods and grunts. "We don´t need help, only pass unmolested. We already cut down a friend of the bandit and want to finish the job."

"Enough talking. I´m hungry too."

Remove ads