Return to the Tomb of Horrors finally gets a Story Hour!

Immort

First Post
This seems a bit, well, brutal. Don't git me wrong, here, I can appreciate a little brutality as much as anyone. Billy just seems ta be gittin' a raw deal. Celestia seems mighty vulnerable ta the devil's incursions too. I gotta figger, if a devil is gunna go an start killin' folks and try ta tell me it is my fault, I'm thinkin' he is gunna be killin' folks whether he has me ta blame fer it or not. Nuthin' good ever came of makin' deals wit devils.

-Immort

Mr.Binx

First Post
Immort said:
I gotta figger, if a devil is gunna go an start killin' folks and try ta tell me it is my fault, I'm thinkin' he is gunna be killin' folks whether he has me ta blame fer it or not. Nuthin' good ever came of makin' deals wit devils.

The majority of the party actually came up with this same conclusion. Unfortunately, when you're dealing with characters who have the words "Lawful Good" written in their alignment box on a PC record sheet they are often forced into avoiding that whole "out of sight, out of mind" approach to the situation. If a demon is destroying innocents souls (or so it says they're innocent souls) then the individuals who have oathed to follow the ways of Hieroneous must attempt what they can to stop such events to continue. Whether or not it truly is Billy's fault is beside the point. The fact that innocent souls are being destroyed and Billy has been made aware of this prevents Billy from turning a blind eye. This is a GM tactic to used to get you to do something via alignment that KotD comics lovingly refer to as the Sucking Chest Wound. Dastardly.. :p

Last edited:

James McMurray

First Post
Ah, but it was Billy's fault. He started the battle with the devils by destroying Conrad Adar's tome. He also escalated the situation by refusing to talk with the peacable negotiator that was sent first. the entire situation could have been avoided had Billy's player not been the type to shoot first and only role-play when necessary.

That's cool though. The majority of the players have shown that they prefer high-powered fights to role-playing. Since I'm the kind of DM who likes to give my players what they want. . . :)

Immort

First Post
Bah, I'm thinkin' that fer defeating a major force of evil and destroying an incredibly powerful artifact of evil, and liberating many powerful forces of good the good bigwigs might be inclined ta step in and take a stand on Billy's side. 'Specially seein' as how these devils are invadin' celestial space. And ya can't seriously tell me that lawful good characters let alone Heronious would ever condone makin' deals with devils or being held hostage to their terrorism. There is no negotiatin' wit evil. Other than wit the shoot first RP later method.

As fer the innocent victims, I'm thinkin' at that point it is devil huntin' time. That is how ya deal wit it. Maybe yer dead anyhow, but damned if yer ain't dyin' fightin' the good fight. Maybe yer kin take some of 'em with ya. Once yer dead, yer soul is gonna go where it goes and yer outta their reach anyhow if yer good. Can't hold yer corpse responsible fer nuttin'.

-Immort

James McMurray said:
The party scries for him, then after meet up. They went through the remainder of the tests and Oskar defeated the Lord High Exultant in a duel. It was hard work, but he managed to do it.

The Lord High Exultant is one of my favorite baddies in a module full of great baddies. He's tough, he's smart, and - he cheats! The party does't have to abide by the so-called rules of the fight, but the Exultant states them with such a commanding tone that they likely will.

I imagine that a bit less lawfully aligned group would take one look at the huge, undead warrior demanding single combat, then another look, then say, "Screw you!" and bum rush him.

The thing that made it difficult was that the Moilian Zombie had fast healing, and Oskar had no way to damage him completely. But when the rest of the party cheated by teleporting in to give him a Mace of Disruption, it becae much easier. :)

Bah, drat that Mace of Disruption; it takes all the fun out of undead. Although it does allow the party to get back at Mr. Exultant's cheating through some cheating of their own.

Finally, where was the Vestige during this fight? It didn't show up for a visit? *shiver*

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Bah, drat that Mace of Disruption; it takes all the fun out of undead.

Not having the RtToH, I'd guess that The Lord High Exultant has a pretty good Fort save. So you're smacking on him, waiting and hoping that he'll finally roll a bad save while he heals everything else you throw at him?

Still sounds like a fun time... for the GM.

I love the tormenting of Teflon Billy. Mess with an instrument of an archdevil, and you have to face his wrath. I'd much prefer to see the party work their way out of this than just appeal for help to Celestia and Heironeous. Having someone else save your butt isn't nearly as much fun!

Plus they get to wallow in the ace-number-one sin that Lawful Good types fall to: PRIDE.

John

James McMurray

First Post
Immort: The good guys have taken heed of the actions. Billy still has his spellcasting ability because of that fact. The reason Billy still has a few weeks before he is demanded in hell is also because of that. It is quite possible that their actions between now and then will result in more direct intervention. However, if there is any god that is more of a believer in standing on your own two feet then Heironious, I'm not sure who it is.

The problem with "devil huntin' time" is that you cannot solve your problem that way. The party certainly isn't going to kill Asmodeus in his lair. And if they die in the attempt then Acererak manages to make himself one with the negative material plane, thus becoming uite possibly the most powerful being in the omniverse.

And besides, Billy has already learned once that being deda doesn't protect you from evil. The first time he died he was resurrected by an evil dragon he had tormented. He was held captive and tortured for 12 years after that.

JERAndall: Well, the fight with the Lord High Exultant went pretty fast. Oskar being a high level dwarven defener was nearly impossible to hurt. The life drain was doing an average of 5 points per round, and The LHE couldn't beat his AC after all of the buffs he had on. Granted, Oskar would have eventually died to the life drain, but it would have taken a few hours of rolling real time. :)

The vestige never showed up unil they went to its tower. There were chances for it to, but they never happened.

Greybar: Well, all you need for him to do is roll a one. When you're full attacking at 4 attacks per rond, that will happen after five rounds or so. And the LHE was only healing 10-15 points per round, so there was no way he was getting back up any time soon.

I wholeheartedly agree with the idea that having someone else save your butt sucks though. Had the party continued climbing Mount Celestia, it would have happened, but that wouldn't have been nearly as satisfying (IMO) as getting themselves out of the jam.

James McMurray said:
The vestige never showed up unil they went to its tower. There were chances for it to, but they never happened.

Understood.

If/when I next run RttToH, I may script things so that the Vestige shows up at a dramatic time. Or I might use it (ironically) to save the PCs: for example, they are getting beaten down by the Exultant, who has just dropped someone. He steps back and smirks as he readies his weapon for a coup de grace. Just then, behind him, flowing up over the platform comes the Vestige, an evil fog whispering imprecations.

The Exultant half-turns - his smirk fades - he screams in terror - and is absorbed and destroyed (graphically) by the Vestige. (Yeah yeah I'm stretching things beyond the module as written but it's dramatic!)

Seeing something as tough as the Exultant get snuffed out by the Vestige should convince the PCs to run. Although you never know.

Actually, James, I am very inspired by the way you've modified Return to make it cooler. Really makes me wish I were a player in your campaign!

Remove ads