• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Returning to the Fold: A lapsed player's perspective on 4E

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to play in the Red Box gameday experience at my FLGS. I was quite excited, as this was the first time I had played D&D in the past ten years or so. I played regularly for a decade prior to this (predominantly the reviled, unfairly so in my estimation, 2nd Ed) I had a great time at the game day, so I don't want you to think that this is going to degenerate into a "what's wrong with 4th edition post", but there were some broad changes in the experience from those bygone days that I thought were interesting, so I thought I'd bring them up. A lot of these changes may not be as evident to players who started with 3rd edition and onward, so I thought it might be intersting to discuss.

1) Everyone is a rules lawyer now- Since the bygone days combat has become substantially more tactical. This change produces a lot of fun and is true to the genre's war games roots. However, since combat was always been the most rules heavy part of the game, it has produced a huge amount of verbage on the subject. These boards, and the game table, are filled with endless debate on the exact wording of rules, and more importantly, how the inevitable laxness of the rules can be expoloited.
Whenever I encounter these discussion, I think back to the day's of junior high when MtG first came out. I remember endless discussion of the ways that combinations of cards could be used to bend or break the rules as written and the inevitable errata that resulted I think this style of games playing is the true legacy of collectable card games, rather the presence or abscence of collectable cards for random effects which have been discussed lately

2) With great options, comes great responsibillity- This continues as an offshoot of point 1 above, but I think underlines another important fact. Namely, that due to the proliferation of rules, as well as features such as feets, weapon properties and the like, character creation has become both vastly more complicated and, in a way, grade-able. Part of me looks fondly on the day when the thought of personalizing a character was having a theif use a hand ax rather than daggers, just because. Now due to the way that features interact there is a vast amount of personalization, but because so much that manifests as advantages or disadvantages during the game, it becomes an activity in itself. Just as many magic afficianados can spend an afternoon building decks, it seems that players can spend an afternoon just builidng varrious characters,an activity that I felt was much less common "back in the day".

3) (and final) "Better" and "Worse" players- The final point I want to make is derrived from the other two, namely that the combination or rules mastery and build mastery leads to a phenomenon of system mastery, resulting in more effective characters at the table. Not to sound like a luditie, but at one time, build mastery essentially ment luck during your initial attribute roles. As a result, although a party was always happy to have a character with 18 (77) strength (another throwback :) ) there was never an element of judgement attirbutted to a less productive player bringing a sub-optimal build or playing tactically "wrong" This is exacerbated by the standardization of challenges, where we know where a typical party should fall on the power curve. This was much less apparent when an encounter was whatever the DM pulled from the Monsterous Compendium. Similarly, we didn't have to spend our time discussing useless monsters because, in existential sense, such monsters simply just were, rather than being a substandard example of a level 8 monster, which no DM should ever use, from a book that is totally obsolete :).

All in all I had a great time with the game day, despite a TPK on the final encounter. I hope to continue playing though the encounters series. I think that the current incarnation of the game has a lot of merit, and, in the end, the enjoyability of a game is a manifestation of the stories you use it to tell rather than the rules that you use. But, as read through the threads regarding the edition wars, pathfinder and 4th edition, it occurs to me that to a prior player these symptoms seem to share many more similarities than they do differences.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I have a lapsed 2E player in my group. He has really embraced somethings, including 4Eisms like daily powers for his rogues (note, not a feature of the red box thief) and moving enemies around the table top.

But he does resist certain elements of "system mastery" as a point of pride. And its fine. Its a cooperative game, and his charecter kicks but enough, and gets hurt amusingly enough, that everyone is happy.

mkill

Adventurer
Hi Thac0, welcome to the boards and welcome back to the game.

However, I have one objection: It's absolutely ridiculous to claim that there was some innocent period of gaming where munchkinism, rules lawyering, and system mastery did not exist.

I remember that 1996, definitely previous to 3rd edition, I briefly played in a 2nd ed AD&D group where...

* The dice rolling method made sure you had at least one stat in the range of 19-25
* If not, a retired high-level Wizard PC of one player would pop in and use Wish spells to bring your stats up to "acceptable" levels
* Each PC was at least Fighter/Wizard or equivalent. Additional classes were added with Wish spells on demand.
* The PCs owned a castle, with purple walls because one of the Wizards was bored one day (another Wish spell... you guessed it)

It's too long ago to remember more details, and I got bored and left anyway. Their playstyle was mainly soap opera of their demigod PCs with a bit of dungeoneering in between.

keterys

First Post
The internet has generally made it much easier to see all of these things, and the increased mechanical complexity and actually valid tactical analysis has made it easier to engage in such things.

But, yeah, it was always around. Some friends of mine still joke about someone who was super specialized in fans from the 2nd edition days, and lots of people back then tried to use items to boost strength combined with specialization in darts to fling crazy dart-death. Gamers are often goal oriented, and thusly they explore methods for attaining those goals - whether it's maximizing damage, surviving against the DM who is trying to kill their characters, or eke the most out of an incredibly odd choice of equipment.

It is just that any sane DM houseruled to bad combos out:

(bonus to weapon damage is capped at the maximum from the dice, so 1d3+3 is the most a dart could do when i played)

Now we have official erratas.

Munchkinism is not unnatural, as an experienced player won´t build inefficient characters on purpose. Never. Only to sabotage a game.

It is just, that you now can´t do a lot wrong with 4e. Somehow every character is basic competent in what it should do.

JoeGKushner

First Post
as the K man pointed out, a lot of it has to do with the internet. It's not even system mastery going on but rather networking. ask a few questions on the net and your character can be set from 1st-30th level.

Hi Thac0, welcome to the boards and welcome back to the game.

However, I have one objection: It's absolutely ridiculous to claim that there was some innocent period of gaming where munchkinism, rules lawyering, and system mastery did not exist.

I remember that 1996, definitely previous to 3rd edition, I briefly played in a 2nd ed AD&D group where...

* The dice rolling method made sure you had at least one stat in the range of 19-25
* If not, a retired high-level Wizard PC of one player would pop in and use Wish spells to bring your stats up to "acceptable" levels
* Each PC was at least Fighter/Wizard or equivalent. Additional classes were added with Wish spells on demand.
* The PCs owned a castle, with purple walls because one of the Wizards was bored one day (another Wish spell... you guessed it)

It's too long ago to remember more details, and I got bored and left anyway. Their playstyle was mainly soap opera of their demigod PCs with a bit of dungeoneering in between.

Well, the same impulses existed, but pre-3.x it mostly took different forms than it does now. The OP's comments certainly make sense to me. The game was pretty simple and there really wasn't anything to 'master'. 2e had a FEW more options than 1e did, but not many. You could certainly be a rules lawyer, and you could try to be a munchkin, but how far you got in either direction was pretty much up to the DM. Sure, you could have groups with 93rd level PCs that just made wishes all day but that was so far from how the system was written to work that it really has little to do with D&D.

No, it was definitely 3e where the game really gave full scope to the rules lawyers etc. Very different from the earlier days of the game. 4e in that respect is thoroughly a modern version of the game. I think it is worth pointing out that 4e is better in this regard than 3.x was.

Anyway, I think the OP will enjoy some good gaming with 4e. Give everything a try. I agree with the observation about monsters. Personally I've been opening up the range of designs I use monster-wise a lot and while I think assigning monsters to levels is a good idea there's not a lot of reason to compare them in a competitive fashion.

mkill

Adventurer
The internet has generally made it much easier to see all of these things, and the increased mechanical complexity and actually valid tactical analysis has made it easier to engage in such things.

Usenet has been around since 1980, so Internet discussions about gaming aren't that much older than online RPGs (1975) or D&D itself (1974).

So, not only was there munchkinism in "the innocent old days", there was also Internet talk about it. In fact, most of the RPG terms you'll throw around, like "rules lawyer", date back to Usenet discussions. It was the 4chan of its time.

EDIT: It appears that rec.games.frp.dnd was founded on May 27, 1992
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.frp.dnd/browse_thread/thread/45a3a731660eab3a#

However, this was just its birth as a subgroup of rec.games.frp, of which google has a post dating back to 1986.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.frp/topics?start=12960&sa=N

Here is a typical system mastery / rules lawyering discussion that dates back to 1989, or 21 years ago. A player complains that he can't multiclass Ranger/Mage in 2nd edition AD&D.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.frp/browse_thread/thread/ab3c566732c2a889#

Older Than They Think - Television Tropes & Idioms

Last edited:

Nyronus

First Post
To the OP:
I can easily understand what your saying. I myself am something of a dedicated power gamer, so I do enjoy the pleasure of producing an effective build. There is a certain type of fun to making something which works awesome in it context, and a certain type of pride as well. It is the same way with (you guessed it) making a good Magic the Gathering deck.

I would counter though that while 4th Edition is the best system for making min-maxed PCs (since it gets harder and harder to make a busted character), and that system mastery does reward players a good deal, it is probably also the best edition for making weird off-beat characters and having them not suck. This is because the system is (more or less) balanced and all options can compete, and even if one does win in the end, at the table they both can do their jobs fine. For instance, its commonly accepted that Rangers are the best strikers, and while this may be true, I have a pair of min-maxed rogues at my table whose encounter powers are more than enough to put the fear of god into my monsters.

Furthermore, this is also the best edition for "reflavoring," or, at least the one where it is actively encouraged by both the player and developer base. Technically a rogue with a Handaxe is a really bad idea. You can't Sneak Attack with it, which is where Rogues get a good bit of their damage from. Dwarves get a feat which can make it work, but you lose a die of SA damage in the trade. Even using an Executioner Axe only just barely makes up for losing that d6. Its an almost completely worthless feat. Ah, but heres a kicker. You can just use a short sword... and call it a hand-axe. All a "short sword really is a mathmatical algorithm meant to represent a fantasy ability or weapon. Just change what the algorithm represents, and, presto! Next thing you know your enemies will scream in terror as Belfor, the Pint Sized Terror, leaps from he shadows with a pair of hatches meant just for their kidneys.

I am glad you enjoyed the game. While your impressions are true on a certain level, I do hope they don't ruin your fun. The system does have a lot to offer once you get past her quirks.

Good Luck, and Good Gaming
Nyronus. ~

keterys

First Post
Usenet has been around since 1980, so Internet discussions about gaming aren't that much older than online RPGs (1975) or D&D itself (1974).

And before that people could share ideas in their game stores and at conventions, too, but it's all about how easy it is.

Multiplying the possible audience by a thousand-fold is a pretty serious deal.

And don't underestimate the power of google, where you can just enter in a question and _find stuff_. Things have really changed in twenty years in terms of visibility.

But, yeah, gamers will be gamers :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads