• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reusable identify item?

I remember in bladur's gate 2 there was an item that could cast identify 3/day. Is there anything like that? Maybe something that could cast identify 1/day or something like that? And if not, how much would something like that cost?

Michaluk

First Post
Take a look at the item pricing towards the back of the DMG.

Just off the top of my head I think the price would be:

[1 (level 1 spell) x 1 (level 1 caster) x 1800 (command word) + 5000 (50 x material cost)] x 3/5 (3 uses per day) = 3900 gp

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
I don't recall seeing a reusable Identify item in print, but I don't have a number of the recent books.

The cost would depend on who made the item in question.

If an arcane caster made it it would cost:

1,800gp (command word item)
x1 (1st level caster)
x1 (1st level spell)
+5,000gp (50x 100gp material cost)
=6,800 gp for 5 uses per day
/5 (1 charge per day)= 1,360gp to purchase (680 gp and 54 XP to make with Craft Wondrous Item)

If you wanted 3/day version, it would cost 4,080gp (2040gp and 163 XP to make with Craft Wondrous Item).

A Cloistered Cleric (Clerc variant in Unearthed Arcana or the SRD) could make it for

1,800gp
x1 (1st level caster)
x1 (1st level spell)
+0gp (no material component for divine casters)
=1,800gp for 5 uses per day
/5 (1 charge per day) = 360gp to purchase (180 gp and 14 XP to make with Craft Wondrous Item).

3 charges per day would cost 1,080gp (540 gp and 43 XP to make with Craft Wondrous Item)

Keep in mind, both version are at caster level 1, so that will affect interactions with effects that conceal or distort magic, such as Nystul's Magic Aura.

EDIT:
joshjurg said:
monocle of perusal - Complete adventurer - 6500 gp

Or that. :D :eek:

Last edited:

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
There's a trick in Complete Scoundrel that lets you identify one item per day for free in one minute. I think the minimum level is around 8th.
-blarg

1500run

First Post
blargney the second said:
There's a trick in Complete Scoundrel that lets you identify one item per day for free in one minute. I think the minimum level is around 8th.
-blarg

broken. just like the proverbial record i'm starting to sound like.

MarkB

Legend
There's the Artificer's Monocle in Magic Item Compendium (originally from Player's Guide to Eberron, I believe). It allows an Artificer using Artificer Knowledge or a spellcaster using Detect Magic who has at least 5 ranks in Knowledge (arcana) to spend an extra minute examining an item and identify it as though using an Identify spell.

Cost: 1,500 gp. Unlimited uses.

Crothian

First Post
1500run said:
broken. just like the proverbial record i'm starting to sound like.

Not in the least. At that level saving 100gp and a little time is not that big of deal and it actually saves on the head ache of having to identify items. After a while it just gets boring and pointless.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads