• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Review of Combat Pad (Initiative Tracker) by Open Mind Games

Enforcer

Explorer
This product was mentioned in the first Wizards of the Coast podcast, and it sounded interesting as my former group had used a magnetic board for initiative in the past that worked wonderfully.

So, I went to Open Mind Games and after looking at the pictures there, I decided "why not, I'm trying to start a new game anyways."

I just got it in the mail today (which was shipped within 24 hours of my order and arrived in 2 days from Minnesota where Open Mind Games ships from to Chicago where I am), and I'm pretty happy with it. It has 8 wet-erasable magnets that go on the board for PCs, 8 more for enemies, and 4 more for NPCs. You can slide the nameplates into columns for "Readying" and "Delaying" as well, so you don't forget that those characters still have yet to go in the round.

Also included is a Combat Round Tracker, which goes from 1-20 and has a two pointer arrow magnets labeled "Round" to use with it. Finally, there are two "Turn" pointer arrows to put next to whichever nameplate whose turn it currently is, and two "Next Round" magnets to put after the last person in the round.

To the left of the board, there is a section for wet-erase notes to be made, like "stunned 2 rounds" or "+1 morale from Bless," that can go next to the PC or bad guy that is under those effects. You could also write things like "Hasted, expires Round 7" that will sync up nicely with the round tracker.

The magnets stick well enough that a very good shaking had no effect, but are still easy to slide over into "Readying" or "Delaying." I'd recommend a fine-point wet-erase marker (you can even order one from Open Mind Games if you're lazy like me) as anything thicker will be difficult to use with the nameplates. It's much better than the magnetic board we had in the past, as ours wasn't erasable nor did we have magnets for keeping track of whose turn it was or what round it was for spell durations.

If this product were listed on the EN World Reviews Database, I'd give it a 5/5. I'm pretty darn happy with it. :) Check out the product site for more pictures (some have links on that page).

Last edited:

rom90125

Banned
Banned
I have been using this product since GenCon and I too find it was a great addition to my toolset. The only nitpick I have is that I wish it was bigger. I understand why the designers went with the 8.5 x 11 size, but, I find I wish I had more room on the left to jot down notes.

gribble

Explorer
Ditto. I picked one up at GenCon after playing in a demo with one of the WotC guys who was using one. Worked like a treat for him, and it's worked like a treat for me.
:D

I even found that the dry erase markers I use for my battlemat work on it too, which is a big bonus (I hate the mess wet erase markers make).

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
I absolutely love mine-Open Mind's booth was right across the aisle from ours at Gen Con and I picked one up the first day of the show. Works great and is a LOT better than my old method of post-it notes across the top of my DMs screen.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Only 8 1/2 by 11?

Oh well! You had me until that .. . Oh well, at least I got ideas for customizing the dry erase board we use now. . . :D

Agamon

Adventurer
I'd be all over that if I didn't use my laptop to track all of that in DM's Familiar (which takes up less space, is mostly automated, and I can put things in there the PCs don't know about). We used a similar set up when playing Living Greyhawk and it really worked well.

Elfdart

Banned
Banned
I've been doing this for almost 17 years. I have a dry erase battlemat and half-inch counters for PCs, monsters etc.. I jot down bonuses, penalties, speed factors and the initiative roll. Initiative is easy as pie.

mearls

Hero
Glad to hear the podcast generated a sale for them! I hope to use the podcast as a way to get out the word on cool stuff I find.

Remove ads