• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Review of "Dwellers of the Forbidden City"

Welcome to EN World!

I have read your review of Dwellers of the Forbidden City. Looking at the review I wondered how my own opinions on the module would be different if I were to see it for the first time today.

I am a huge fan of this adventure and have used parts of it in just about every edition of the game up through 3E. I loved it enough to write the plot summary for the wiki.

The Mongrelmen: These guys really added a sense of mystery to the setting and provided a great "unknown" faction for the political setup of the city. Using an already known race of humanoids to fill that role wouldn't have worked as well. Presenting this race along with the Yuan-Ti really helped make the locale more exotic. Both races shared the traits of genetic mutations possibly indicating something sinister had a hand in thier evolution or creation.

The Tribal Village: The details of the tribe and thier capabilities was an unknown factor that the DM could develop as needed. There were no rules in 1E about levels of power based on population centers. A small village could be the home of a powerful mage and a large town might not anyone of significant level. Your observations about the village is what really got me thinking about how my view might be if I were seeing this for the first time.

Keep posting. I look forward to your views on other classic products if you care to aquire them.:)

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Interesting review. You thought more about the philosophical aspects of its undertones than I ever noticed. But then you're looking at it from a perspective of 28-years and three game editions later than I first did. (Holy crap! This module is 28 years old!) Our cultural sensibilities have changed.

If you are interested in comparing, here's my review on the module:
Total Bullgeek

Bullgrit

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads