• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Review of E.N.Arsenal - Two-Bladed Sword

E.N.Arsenal - Two-Bladed Sword, published by E.N. Publishing, is a PDF product sold on RPGNow.com. For more information about the product itself, you can refer to the link above.

I get no enjoyment out of writing an unfavorable review. It is bound to either hurt someone’s feelings or anger a publisher. I do not read any products with the predisposition that I am going write an unfavorable review.

Poor Layout: The product encompasses 20 pages of content and five of those pages are section headings. For each of the section headings a dark watermark picture is "behind" the text, but the bottom half of the picture is a dark gray which makes the text very difficult to read. There is no printer-friendly version to alleviate this. One of the tables has poor spacing between columns, making it hard to read.

Repeated Art: Besides the border art, there are four pieces of art in the product. While I do not mind too much that there were only four illustrations, it was annoying that each piece was reprinted at least once. One of the illustrations (the section header), appears a total of seven times!

Weak Start: The PDF is based around an absurd weapon, but some of the creations and mechanics are unbalancing and poorly conceived. The two-bladed flamberge allows its user to make a free disarm attack after a sunder attempt (it does not say the sunder must be successful), this makes the weapon superior to the two-bladed sword in the PHB. If you’re really into anime, you might like the two-bladed GREATSWORD that only imposes the monkeygrip penalty without requiring the monkeygrip feat. If your character has strong wrists, they make want to use the two-bladed dagger, and still be able to wield a shield! The Craftsmanship modifiers gave strong bonuses for only a little extra cash. It reprints other d20 feats including the gem, Bull Charge, which gives you two actions for the price of one.

Strong Finish: The poor start to the book really soured my mood, but the book did improve. There are two weapon styles with specific requirements where you can pay XP to gain minor abilities with the weapon. These seem very reasonable, and besides, the moves have cool names. The three prestige classes were good as well, though some of the mechanics are a little clunky (have conditional uses that may be hard to remember), and the requirements for one of them made little sense to me. The Keltath Master of the Two Blades requires the member of the PrC to both be drow and Chaotic Evil, but it's abilities were none too dastardly except for their arachnid names. The Dual Soulblade is a cool PrC.

Since DMs can cheat the rules some, you can use this PDF for NPCs, but I definitely would not let a player use the book in any game I ran.

Dual soulblade. Who would have thunk it?
Good production value approach.

Dislikes:
Poor layout.
Repeated art.
Mostly bad game mechanics.

Score: 7 of 20 (or 2/5)

-----
Bradford Ferguson

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
The review looks good enough for me. If you want you can edit it to fill it out even more, but you cover the basics. Thanks for adding it there.

It's 20 pages, so I'm limited in what I can say without spoiling the product or over-talking the product like reviewers (including myself) can do from time to time.

Crothian

First Post
well, as a non adventure spoiling it is not really something you should worry about. As for over talking, nothing wrong with that ;)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I see you've done a few PDF reviews over at RPGNow, Bradford - all pretty informative. I've just sent you an email wondering if you'd be interested in becoming a staff reviewer here at EN World - Crothian gets a little overwhelmed by all the PDF reviews he's asked to do, and a second PDF reviewer would be good!

I've also done a bunch for Silven Crossroads and some for D20 Filtered. I'll talk with you (& Crothian) via e-mail and find out what it's all about. I don't wanna promise something that I can't keep.

Remove ads