• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Review Project take two

Crothian

First Post
MonsterMash said:
I'll have to check when RW sent me copies of EoMR and LA for review, it was certainly before I started with the review project.

ACtually, its not that big of deal. RW has been finding people to review their books for a while, so it doesn't suprise me if it is. Heck, I get a lot of their books and I know most were well before I started this. My statement was in jest.

Wystan

Explorer
Crothian, I just poseted my review of Innana's Kiss and have a book from RW to review. I would like to get another from you as well. I like reviewing. [sblock]The funny part is I delete them when I am done. That way no sale is lost.[/sblock]

I'll review something, if you want. I haven't written a review in ages, but I do have a bit of experience working with d20 stuff.

Plus, it's good practice to look at stuff from the reader's perspective once in a while, and actually write out what works for me, and what doesn't.

It keeps me on my toes.

Patrick Y.

Crothian

First Post
Wystan said:
Crothian, I just poseted my review of Innana's Kiss and have a book from RW to review. I would like to get another from you as well. I like reviewing.

Cool, drop me an e-mail and mention if there is something you like or don't like, and I'll get one to you.

I have a couple of books I want to review (I promised a few people). After I get those out (and find another to review so I have 3), I'd be interested in D20 Modern reviews.

But, I have a question - what is the best way to go about reviews? I've read quite a few, here and elsewhere, but have found many to be rather... not useless, but not very useful. I don't suppose there would be guidelines somewhere for what to focus on in order to write a good review?

Crothian

First Post
Arcane Runes Press said:
I'll review something, if you want. I haven't written a review in ages, but I do have a bit of experience working with d20 stuff.

Plus, it's good practice to look at stuff from the reader's perspective once in a while, and actually write out what works for me, and what doesn't.

It keeps me on my toes.

Patrick Y.

Ya, I seem to remember one or three things you have written, your name sort of rings a bell. :D

Patrick, send me an e-mail at the address in the first post, I'll get something to you. Thanks. :cool:

Crothian

First Post
Goddess FallenAngel said:
But, I have a question - what is the best way to go about reviews? I've read quite a few, here and elsewhere, but have found many to be rather... not useless, but not very useful. I don't suppose there would be guidelines somewhere for what to focus on in order to write a good review?

Well, if you see a review that you didn't find useful (and I'm fearful they are mine) you can reply to the review asking the reviewer for moreinformation or to expand upon the review in a way that is useful to you.

For guidelines I always felt d20 Magazine rack had the best, but I can't seem to find them on their site at the moment.

I'll take a look at D20 Magazine Rack.

Honestly, it's been awhile since I've read any reviews (been a while since I've bought any books I thought I should read a review on), but I don't think they were yours, so rest easy. :)

Most of them I read were on other sites than ENworld, too (it's only been in the last couple of months I even realized there was a review section here *cringe*).

Anyway, I'll see if I can find it on d20 Magazine Rack. Thanks!

genshou

First Post
Are there any review-writing guidelines here on EN World? I'm about to take the first big leap and would like some well-written advice on how to go about it.

Crothian

First Post
genshou said:
Are there any review-writing guidelines here on EN World? I'm about to take the first big leap and would like some well-written advice on how to go about it.

None that are really that good but it is here . But I doubt I can do any better at it so maybe I should keep quiet about that. :cool:

There are different ways to review a book. Some people start general, then use specific examples from the book to support their opinion and mention the good and the bad. Some people take a chapter by chapter approach to cover everythign that is in the book. I encourage people to read other reviews especially the ones of Psion and Joe Kushner as they might be our two best reviewers. If you want to go the style of John Cooper, more power to you. His style is unique and I can't imagine doing a review like his. It also nice to read reviews over at RPG.Net and other sites as the more you read the better an idea you get on reviews. You might see something that someone does and think that was cool, I want to do that in my reviews.

After you write a review, if you want me to read over it, I have no problem doing so. Or you can poost it and I read over ever review that gets posted on EN World though feedback on those is a bit rarer.

Remove ads