• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Review] Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game

Dark Jezter

First Post
die_kluge said:
Ugh, tinker class. When are publishers going to get it? Tinker is a skill, not a class. Why can't I make a tinkering cleric? Huh, tell me! Dumb.

Tinkering to build stuff is more than just a single skill, it requires a lot of skills and feats. For example, I'm designing an NPC for my Warcraft campaign. His name is Gazlowe, and he's a 10th-level goblin tinker. He is the chief engineer of the orc capital or Orgrimmar, and has been put in charge of everything from digging wells to designing defenses.

His skills are Appraise, Craft (Alchemy), Craft (Technological Device), Disable Device, Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering), Listen, Open Lock, Search, Use Magic Device, and Use Technological Device.

His feats are Build Small Devices, Build Teamwork, Build Vehicles, Delay Malfunction, Emergency Repair, Leadership, and Vehicle Proficency (Flying Vehicles).

Being a Tinker in the world of Warcraft is a full-time job, it's not something that other classes do in their spare time.

Anubis the Doomseer said:
I've never gotten an answer to this but how do they do the paladin auras thing in the rules?

Many of the auras from Warcraft III are now feats in the RPG, including the Paladin's Devotion aura.

In the RPG, you must first take the Leadership feat, and then take the Devoted Leadership feat (which is the Warcraft RPG name for Devotion Aura). With the Devoted Leadership feat, your followers all gain a +2 morale bonus to AC and a +1 morale bonus to all saving throws.

There are other feats which mimic auras like the Tauren Chieftain's Endurance Aura, the Archmage's Brilliance Aura, and the Priestess of the Moon's True Shot Aura as well. All such feats require the Leadership feat first.

Last edited:

FDP Mike

First Post
die_kluge said:
Ugh, tinker class. When are publishers going to get it? Tinker is a skill, not a class. Why can't I make a tinkering cleric? Huh, tell me! Dumb.

Are you sure you know what you're talking about?

Let's have a look at the dictionary, shall we (Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 10th ed.).

• Tinker noun 1a: a usually itinerant mender of household utensils b: an unskillful mender: BUNGLER
  • Tinker verb tinkered; tinkering: to work in the manner of a tinker; esp.: to repair, adjust, or work with something in an unskilled or experimental manner: FIDDLE ... to repair, adjust, or experiment with -- tinkerer noun

In fact, then, "tinker" is spot on correct for what the Warcraft RPG class does: i.e., a mender of things; one who tinkers (repairs, adjusts, experiments with, etc.). Maybe "tinkerer" might sound better to our modern sensibilities, but that's a choice of design and style. (The whole bungling thing is in the game, too, when you take into account the malfunction rules for technological devices.)

Not so dumb after all, eh.

:rolleyes:

Take care,
Mike

spacecrime.com

First Post
I gotta say that even though it's not strictly in-the-universe for Warcraft, a tinkering cleric would be very cool.

Not least because you just know there are no atheists in gunpowder factories. :)

(Holy hand grenades, anyone?)

Last edited:

Gellion

First Post
die_kluge said:

*Is restraining himself from hurting die_kluge*

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads