• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reviews, Opinions, & Politeness

Mynex

First Post
I just read through the thread;
Critique of Psion's review of MOZ 1

And have to say I'm amused, disappointed, and apathetic about it at various points.

Couple of points come to mind;

1) A Professional Reviewer gets paid to review things. MOST D20 reviewers do it in their free time and do not get paid. This means they are not Professional Reviewers, just reviewers.

Having said that, There is a HUGE difference in HOW a reviewer reviews things. One can be a Professional ACTING Reviewer, and earn recognition, awards, kudos, what-have-you's until the cows come home, but until he is paid, he is not a Professional Reviewer.

Does this mean that a reviewer who recieves free products TO review is paid? No it does not... it is standard practice for companies desiring a review to offer their product/service/time to a reviewer... doesn't mean that all companies practice it, but there are few companies I've heard of that don't.

2) Reviews, no matter how Objective the reviewer thinks they are being, are OPINIONS . Dot, Period, End of Story.

One can TRY to be as objective as possible, but as human beings it is impossible to be 100% objective about anything. Previous experience in life, taste/touch/smell/etc have tainted us that way... Most people know what they like and what they don't like, and go with what they know.

Does this mean reviews are pointless? Not at all, one can write a review about anything if they're willing to invest the time to do it correctly... What is correctly? Learn about what you intend to review, use it, beat it up, knock it about, etc... and then report you're reactions (which most people really want from a review imo) and the FACTS of the product. Does it work? How well does it work? Does it have any design flaws? Will it float? Is it dead Bones?

3) I've done exactly 2 reviews (At RPG Reviews, sorry Morrus, Cheap Plug. :p), one was a horrible score, and I explained WHY I gave it a horrible score, the other I gave a high score to... yet I still wrote about what _I_ found lacking and WHY I found it lacking. Does this make me a professional Reviewer? nope. Did I ACT professionally? Well, only people reading my reviews can tell me for sure, but I like to think I did. I didn't slam the company, I didn't slam the work put into it (Although I did akin the art work in one of the reviews to seeing an accident 'where you just couldn't look away from the horror. ;p), and I didn't 'rewrite' what I reviewed to 'fix' the problems _I_ saw with the 2 products.

4) Probably one of the biggest flaws I find in most reviews, is a simple mistake many reviewers make... 'Fixing' what _they_ think is broken... to me, that's as rude as telling the designer he's a 2 bit hack and isn't worth his salt. Hate to tell most reviewers, but that author is getting PAID to do that work, and the last thing he wants is someone 'rewriting' what they think it SHOULD be.

That said, there is nothing wrong with offering suggestions for future improvement... Constructive criticism is (most) always appreciated, and some people can even take negative criticism and convert it positive improvement.

The last thing I wanted to post _MY_ Opinion on is this...

While I respect the privacy the internet offers, there are times, when that anonymnity should be shed, and while others my decry Morrus' naming Midnight Rider, I fully agree and support his decision to do so...

I don't post very often on the boards here, prefer to read, but sometimes, things need commenting on...

As for the professionalism displayed by Morrus and crew, I have yet to see it lapse... sure, individuals have displayed temper, but it's good to know they're human and not some AI out to take over the world! :p

Cergorach

The Laughing One
*wants to know Psion's PayPal account so that i can pay him $5 and make him a professional reviewer*

A couple of interesting opinions, but what exactly are you trying to say?

ps. Just because someone gets paid for writing still gives me every right to complain about a product i find faulty, especially when i help support him by buying said product. Suggesting 'fixes' is just another way of expressing different opinions, i don't think they are rude by default...

Seeing as the original thread was closed (though not for necessarily being flamebait), and we tend to frown on people reopening closed discussions, let's tread carefully here, and not do the slightest to insult anyone.

Mynex

First Post
Cergorach said:
*wants to know Psion's PayPal account so that i can pay him $5 and make him a professional reviewer*

A couple of interesting opinions, but what exactly are you trying to say?

ps. Just because someone gets paid for writing still gives me every right to complain about a product i find faulty, especially when i help support him by buying said product. Suggesting 'fixes' is just another way of expressing different opinions, i don't think they are rude by default...

Okay, maybe I wasn't clear enough, what I meant by paid was, paid to do it for a living, i.e. a salary, full time job, etc, however you wish to call it.... Kind of like Roger Ebert does, he gets paid to review movies, and that's all he does...

As for what I'm trying to say, I *thought* I was stating obvious points, I wasn't attacking anyone, I was just stating my opinions/beliefs/what I thought was obvious.

And I definately was NOT saying that no one couldn't define a counter review/opinion/statement on a review that's been done. I wasn't implying it was rude to do so...

I should have been clearer about 'attacking' & 'rdueness'- attacking/rudeness is making personal comments that are inappropriate. It's not appropropriate to say 'Dude you suck and your review blows chunks because you're obviously an idiot'... but it is (to me) acceptable to say 'Dude, your review blows, I completely disagree with it'...

To expand on that a bit more, it would be better if that last senteance continued with 'and this is why I think your review blows'....

A debate is people expressing different view points on a given topic in a civil, polite manner, and yes it can be labeled as an 'argument', but _I_ believe the difference between a debate and an argument is defined by how civil it goes... *shrug* that's just me though, others may (and undoubtedly will) see it differently.

It's just a good idea to be open to the concept that your 'way' is not the only 'way' and your 'thoughts' are not the only 'right thoughts' out there. :)

Mynex

First Post
DocMoriartty said:
Whats your point? You seem to be suggesting that getting a paycheck for doing something is the only way to be really good at it.

Eh? how exactly did you pull that from what I posted? I am serious about that, how exactly did you get that from what I said?

That is _NOT_ what I meant or meant to imply in any way.

My point was simply stating, what I thought was obvious, a Professional Reviewer does it for a living and gets a paycheck for doing it.

Anyone can have professional standards doing reviews (As Psion has displayed), and not everyone that does do it for a living (i.e. getting a paycheck to do so) is professional in their reviews...

It depends on the person, as I said, and will say repeatedly to make sure there is NO confusion on the subject, Psion and Morrus have acted Professionally , whereas Midnight Ranger, did not, according to what I posted about what is professionalism (i.e. he, in my perception, attacked Psion for his review).

Mynex

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Seeing as the original thread was closed (though not for necessarily being flamebait), and we tend to frown on people reopening closed discussions, let's tread carefully here, and not do the slightest to insult anyone.

Hadn't intended to insult anyone. If anyone feels insulted, please accept my apologies for it.

As I've said several times now, these are _MY_ beliefs about reviews/reviewers, and I'm not 'trolling' here...

I _would_ like to actually have an open, civil debate, that includes publishers, reviewers, and the readers of reviews/buyers of the products to what everyone believes makes a professional reviewer.

As I noted, I've done exactly 2 reviews. I plan on doing more, so I would like to see what people want/need/like/feel is important, so I can incorporate some of it into how I review future products.

Kind of a self started, self help message thread. :p

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Mynex said:
Eh? how exactly did you pull that from what I posted? I am serious about that, how exactly did you get that from what I said?

That is _NOT_ what I meant or meant to imply in any way.

My point was simply stating, what I thought was obvious, a Professional Reviewer does it for a living and gets a paycheck for doing it.

I think the question is this: why did you feel the need to point out the difference between a professional and ametur reviewer? What purpose does this serve?

The main reasons I can think of that this would be brought up (in order from most likely to least likely):
1. To point out that Psion is not a professional reviewer and has not acted as such
2. To point out that Psion is not a professional reviewer but has acted as such
3. To inform the ignorant masses of the definition of "professional"

Your original post does not seem to come to any of these points, or indeed any point that I see on a cursory inspection. Please elucidate!

trancejeremy

Adventurer
By your logic, there are very few professional authors. Most have to write part time or have a 2nd job. The exceptions are Stephen King, the Harry Potter lady, the Jurrassic Park guy. Even Fabio has to model sometimes instead of writing romance novels. One of my favorite fantasy authors (Glen Cook) works full time in an auto plant.

What makes someone a professional is if they received some sort of compensation for doing something. In my mind, that includes a free copy of the item.

Remove ads