• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Revised GSL on the way

phloog

First Post
I'm with that last post from Capn Zapp - no need to assign evil motives beyond mere profit/share - - there seems to be zero benefit beyond goodwill to them actually making the GSL available - -right now they own 100% and are probably doing fine..I would imagine that there's really no need to finish this unless and until they find that sales are slumping and they calculated that 3pp support beyond what they already have is needed. Again, not them being nasty, just them having zero motivation at this point to finish.

lrsach01

Explorer
Given all the 3rd party companies publishing 4e products, does it really even matter that much?

Depends on what the eventual license is or whether WotC/Hasbro decides to go after 4e_3PP companies/fan sites. Besides that, WotC SAID it was coming out with a revised GSL. Good faith on THEIR part demands they release that update or at the very least produce a statement to give some sort of direction.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Wanting a GSL is not the same as needing it. WOTC promising a GSL is not the same as needing it.

If the third party companies just keep coming out with 4e products, and we get to buy those 4e products, and WOTC essentially waives any claim by ignoring them, doesn't that mean we really didn't need the GSL all that much?

For example, Mongoose and Goodman are just publishing 4e products. As far as I know, they are doing it with no GSL, and no known complaints from WOTC. I can buy Quintessential Wizard; Forgotten Heroes: Fang, Fist, and Song; and a bunch of modules for example.

So, is there really much need for it?

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Wanting a GSL is not the same as needing it. WOTC promising a GSL is not the same as needing it.

If the third party companies just keep coming out with 4e products, and we get to buy those 4e products, and WOTC essentially waives any claim by ignoring them, doesn't that mean we really didn't need the GSL all that much?

For example, Mongoose and Goodman are just publishing 4e products. As far as I know, they are doing it with no GSL, and no known complaints from WOTC. I can buy Quintessential Wizard; Forgotten Heroes: Fang, Fist, and Song; and a bunch of modules for example.

So, is there really much need for it?

Just to clarify, it's my understanding that Goodman is indeed using the GSL for all new 4E products sold after October 1.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Just to clarify, it's my understanding that Goodman is indeed using the GSL for all new 4E products sold after October 1.

Yes, they say they are "used with permission under the Game System License". However, I thought there is no GSL. How can they use something that does not exist?

lrsach01

Explorer
Yes, they say they are "used with permission under the Game System License". However, I thought there is no GSL. How can they use something that does not exist?

There is a GSL (http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/GSL_20080617.pdf) but it is pretty restrictive and doesn't give any guidance or insight for fan created content. An update was promised back in August but then the WotC staff cuts came and we haven't seen anything since.

Remove ads