Revised GSL TODAY!

Darrin Drader

Explorer
I think that it's a strong step in the direction of regaining some of the goodwill that has been lost. It still doesn't allow the freedom that the OGL had, but good business sense should tell you that the OGL was too good. It was open to the point where it had the potential to hurt WotC's business interests. Also, many licenses that you would pay many thousands of dollars for have a clause in there allowing them to kill your line at will. I think that if your goal is to support D&D, then this is good. If your goal is to do something out in left field, then it's not so good, leaving the 3.x mechanics and OGL the preferred choice. For instance, it looks doubtful that someone like me could take the parts of 4E that I like and splice them together with the excised counterparts from 3.x.

joethelawyer

Banned
Banned
So after they made all the changes, people are still not happy? :erm:

For me its not a matter being happy with it or not. I don't really care. I have Pathfinder, Castles and Crusades, and access to more gaming supplements than I could use in 87 lifetimes. I personally don't use or like 4e, but that's not really an issue because it doesn't change my Friday game night in the least.

Heck, I don't even need 4e to attract new gamers. My brother, with whom I have been gaming with for 25 years, just had triplets last year, and his 3 yr old already knows that Red Dragons breath fire and are bad guys. :) The 3 yr. old already has a set of dice! His father's original set, in red, his favorite color.

I just pointed out as objectively as I could the potential risks in the new GSL for businesses who want to use it. It's up to those businesses to get a real legal opinion on the matter, examine the risks, and weight the risks vs. the rewards of signing the GSL and making 4e compatible products. Some will sign it, some won't. Simple as that.

Last edited:

Urizen

First Post
Hum, I have not found a mention of this anywhere. Perhaps this will be cleared up as more people read and interpret it.

It's a holdover from the first version of the GSL, section 4.1.

You cannot define or redefine any term in the SRD, which means you cannot reprint monster statblocks verbatim. period.

You may make variations on them ( the monsters, classes, races), but you cannot reprint any powers either.

This clause can be tricky, because it prohibits you to make, say, an adventure with fully statted creatures from the MM, or NPCs with powers in the Players handbook.

scarik

First Post
While this version is certainly more permissive than the last if I were to want to create a system ala True d20 or M&M I would much rather clone the system and alter my Frankenstein's Monster to my preference instead of signing on to this.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
So after they made all the changes, people are still not happy? :erm:

For me it isn't a question of being happy or not. I think the 4E licensing is definitely in a state that I would find its use acceptable if I were wanting to make 4E compatible game products. It's a success in that regard, and I have to give credit to Scott Rouse and everyone else at WotC who made that possible.

On the other hand I still prefer 3.x, Pathfinder, True20, Modern20, and C&C as game systems. In other words, this only affects me in the abstract kind of way where I can say that WotC is once again acting like a responsible steward of the hobby game industry.

Remove ads