Revised XP progression

Scribe Ineti

Explorer
Given that I did some rough calculations, and based on my group's tendencies and general availability for gaming, I'm estimating about 90 game sessions to get from level 1 to level 30. With one game session a week (at best), we're looking at almost two full years of D&D. That's not even taking into account hiatuses for holidays, vacations, and other unpredictable life events.

I'm not feeling the idea of it taking even longer to get there. I think 90 sessions to cover a journey from 1st to 30th is sufficiently epic, but more power to you peeps who want more. :)

RaynerApe

First Post
You know, you could not only alter the progression rate but build a whole rule expansion booklet with new rules and new ideas that aid an epic, 2-5 years campaign. A PDF of this progression rate would also be very helpful, please do one.

One rule I would suggest is that a new Half Level is introduced, allowing the change of Power/Feat to happen not when you level up but in the middle of your progession to a new level. For example, player advanced towards Level 2 from 1,500 to 3,500 points but he gets to change a Power and/or Fear at 2,500 (a 1.5 Level).

Stormhound

Explorer
You know, you could not only alter the progression rate but build a whole rule expansion booklet with new rules and new ideas that aid an epic, 2-5 years campaign. A PDF of this progression rate would also be very helpful, please do one.

One rule I would suggest is that a new Half Level is introduced, allowing the change of Power/Feat to happen not when you level up but in the middle of your progession to a new level. For example, player advanced towards Level 2 from 1,500 to 3,500 points but he gets to change a Power and/or Fear at 2,500 (a 1.5 Level).

Hmmm. Ambitious, but we'll see if I can pull any thoughts out of nearly 29 years of GMing. I've attached a PDF to the first post; it isn't fancy, but it's convenient. I'll worry about fancy when I have time.

The half-level is an interesting thought, sort of a chance to do a remix a little more often since the levels come a bit more slowly. I'll ponder that one a bit.

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
Humm... so, the number of monsters you have to fight to level up goes up by level?

Sounds like MMO-esque grinding to me. Sorry folks, but I play D&D to get away from grinding, so no bites on that fish hook over here.

Asmor

First Post
With a very generous 5 encounters on average per night, 1 game a week, you're talking half a year to get from 29th level to 30th. No thanks.

Stormhound

Explorer
(Why do people who aren't interested imagine that it's necessary to say so, instead of just shrugging and moving on? Reminds me of my wife, who believes that everyone is entitled to an opinion, so she makes sure the one they get is hers. Obviously, this isn't an option for everyone, but I figured that was implicitly assumed by being in the "House Rules" section.)

Actually, I can turn that last comment on its ear. Given that 30th level is currently set up by the rules to be "the end" for characters, who've presumably worked very hard to get here and will now be retiring in some fashion, why would it be better to have that last level (29th to 30th) over and done with in two nights? (And if 27 is too many, how about 14 or 6?).

I suppose it's a matter of philosophy. For some people, reaching the destination is the point of the journey; for others, it's all the things you see along the way. Unfortunately, unless WOTC releases a beyond-Epic-levels rulebook (what are the odds? :hmm:), reaching 30th level is not like reaching the theme park at the end of a long drive. Once you're there, you don't get to walk around and have fun...that character is done. So what's the rush? :confused:

Scribe Ineti

Explorer
So what's the rush?

"Rush" is defined by the DM and by the individual gaming group. Some groups see two years of game time to get from level 1 to 30 as a sufficiently long and epic journey, while others are perfectly all right with taking 6 months just to get from level 29 to 30. All depends on what each group wants to get out of their gaming experience.

I much prefer the former, and I say huzzah to those who like the latter. Game on.

Stormhound

Explorer
LOL...I read xkcd too. But one reason I put the Enc/Lvl numbers on the 10M version was so that it was obvious it'd take much longer; then the 5M and 2M versions in the PDF seem quick by comparison.

It's interesting how times change, though. What I've posted should remind some folks a lot of 1e/2e XP tables; you went up quickly early, but then there certainly was a certain amount of "grinding" required beyond about 6th level or so. I don't recall any great amount of angst over that; obviously, attitudes have changed over three decades, and I wouldn't expect anyone who got started with, say, 3e to view things in the same way. De gustibus non est disputandem.

Remove ads