• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Revising The Warlock, Making It More Sorcerer-Like

Sravoff

First Post
So number of days ago, a week or more, I posted a thread about revising the warlock to be less demonic and more arcane. There seemed to be some interest, so I'll post what I have done so far. Its not much, but hopefully someone will have a suggestion.

First I stripped away Eldritch Blast, its invocations, and most their demonic abilities. So what I have looks like this.
Code:
01 Least
02 Detect Magic
04 Deceive Item
06 Lesser
11 Greater
12 Imbue Item
16 Dark
Pretty bare bones I know. I figured they would need more invocations, before anything else. So I thought about one per level, but that was a bit much. Eventually I figured that a progression equal to a base attack bonus of 3/4+1 would do nicely. So invocations look like this.
{1/2/3/4/4/5/6/7/7/8/9/10/10/11/12/13/13/14/15/16} Sixteen invocations at level 20.

Now there is the problem of combat. Deprived of their eldritch blast, they don't have much damage dealing capacity. This could easily be offset by damage dealing invocations. However, who wants anyone casting fireball unlimited times per day?

I thought of giving them their own spell list, based off of the sorcerer/wizard list and giving them a cool down time. Invocations can't be used after using an invocation for Spell Level +1 rounds. This gets pretty steep after awhile, so some way to lower this would be nice, for later levels. Again, no one wants to be sitting idly twiddling thumbs for 10 rounds while Smog is chomping on your party members.

Any thoughts on any of this? I know its kinda disorganized, sorry about that.

-Sravoff

Last edited:

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Why take away the eldrich Blast?
I rewrote the flavor text, changed all the names to simple forms -
the class is nearly the same mechanically - Save DC's are based on Int mod
they get a bonus to deceive item to make up for the change in prime stat.

But it now has nothing to do with demons (which have nothing like EB anyway)
oh - i did move some of the later blast essences around, Nausea is a greater principle that only lasts one round.

Magicians (magictician) Flavor modified Warlock – Complete Arcane

Magicians are concerned with discovering the laws of magic. Each principle is difficult to master, but can be used at will. There was one original magictician, who taught no one his secrets. Eventually a young wizard independently discovered the principles, and trained several disciples. They called themselves magicians.
The original magictician left hints for the younger man, and upon his death his writings were uncovered and published by a disciple of the second. The practitioners have learned from either the Magictician’s writings or disciples of the magician. Many carry a copy of his book The Princpiae Magicea Many of the more powerful principles have yet to be discovered. (Although they can be found in Complete Arcane and Complete Mage)
Code:
Level: 		 Special Ability			Principles known 
1		Least principles & Eldritch blast (1d6)	        1  	
2		Detect Magic (at will)				2
3		Fundamental Protection (DR 1/-)		        2
		-  Eldritch Blast (2d6)
4		Deceive Item (+3)				3 	
5		Eldritch Blast (3d6)				3
6 		Lesser Principles	 			4
7		Eldritch Blast (4d6), (DR 2/-)	 		4
8		Principle of Recovery (1)			5

Least Principles