D&D 5E Revisiting material components - enforcing in a game focused on resource-management

5ekyu

Hero
It makes the components matter. It adds some flavor to the game. It gives some potential plot hooks. In this upcoming campaign, it is also another way to spend money and an additional downtime activity.

You are correct, this is not a major departure from RAW. I want to stick with RAW for the most part. I'm not going to graft an Elderscrolls or Witcher style alchemy system into my 5e game. The players will not find my proposed change foreign or complicated. The problem with components in 5e is that they just do not matter, besides as a backup for a focus. All I'm doing is saying that the components are an important part of learning and understanding a spell. For the most part, I will not put many roadblocks in the way of getting the components. But it allows me to make SOME components difficult to get and use those as a plot hook.

In short, it gives me as DM something to grasp onto to make components have some meaning and to flavor the game.

Look, I've played 5e over 4 years without ever bothering with non-cost material components. I feel that it would be fun to make them matter a bit more. And, for an old-school mega-dungeon campaign, making material components have value adds another dimension to resource management will be a central focus and continual challenge.
In 5e right now foci can be broken, stolen or lost and i can say "you dont find red dragon scales right now" or 50gp diamonds, or wychwood or petrified newt eye etc etc etc

So, i do not need any house rule to use a shortage of an unusual component as a plot seed.

I just need the circumstances and decision thats its more plausible or more fun to make that a thing they spend screen time on.

By 5e, neither the arcane focus or spell components pouch work for materials with cost or materials consumed (even with no cost). So those are already explicitly "must get".

But if thats not enough opportunities...

By 5e rules, a spell component pouch "holds" components, not "conjures them." So, it must be loaded, right?

No house rule is needed for your casters in 5e RAW to need to spend screen time to find components as often as fits your setting.

Right?

I get the idea of seeing it as new downtime activities, like say repairing armor etc... But for me i prefer to add new downtime activities that are more... well... More tuned to my player characters interests than bookkeeping.

"Quest for newts to blind" or "hunt urchin who stole my crystal"?

Tough call.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
*Disclaimer: Everything I say here is coming from the point-of-view of someone who wouldn't find tracking material components interesting in any way.

A valid and common preference.

I think that if you were going to go for a campaign feel where you are going to micromanage tracking material components, you should also similarly enforce tracking on non-spellcasters so that every player has an "item list" of junk they have to keep track of. The easiest non-spellcaster to enforce this with is an archer, since you can easily "count arrows" during the adventure.

Uh, is it common to NOT track ammunition? I've played 5e for over 4 years and never tracked or had players track components in any game I've played in or ran, but in every one, ammunition was tracked. And this is RAW. After a battle, if you spend a minute searching the battlefield, you can recover 50% of your spent ammunition. This assumes you are tracking your ammunition in the first place.

Do archers in your game just have unlimited ammunition?

It isn't any more difficult counting arrows than hit points. HeroLab will even print off character sheets with little boxes to check off for tracking limited resources like ammunition. On-line character sheets make it even easier. Some DMs hand out toothpicks to represent arrows/bolts/bullets. When the character makes a ranged attack they can just throw the toothpick onto the battlemap.

A harder, needing houserule, bit of tracking is going to be coming up with something to penalize armor wearers, melee weapon users, and even tool users (mostly thieves tools but it could vary).

I'm happy with the RAW on this. Even wizards have to maintain their clothing, footwear, packs, and other equipment. But this is different than tracking consumables or a equipment needed to do something.

At most, I would treat it as part of downtime costs.

If the wizards need to keep dumping gold (or time) into purchasing (or finding) components, the fighters should be doing the same getting their armor repaired and swords sharpened, and the rogues should be constantly repurchasing used up and broken thieves tools. When your shield strap breaks in the middle of the cave of despair there isn't an armorer around to repair the damage...much less you being able to do it in the field without a portable workbench at a minimum.

Not equivalent. You are conflating consumables with tools. Look, I get it. It has become rare for players to actually track rations, water, ammunition, components, or worry about encumbrance. That's fine. In most of my 5e games, I've just used a rough "reality check" for encumbrance without actually tracking weight. I ignored components. I generally ignored water and rations as well. And that has been fine for the games I've run to date. But my new campaign is a resource management challenge. It is not the game for everyone. It sounds like you would hate it. That's fine.

[QUOTES]
Similarly, if your foes are going to play smart and go for the wizards focus constantly, they should similarly be doing the same with archers bowstrings, bards instruments, and other items they can destroy to take the PCs out of the fight, at least with their primary attack choice.
[/QUOTES]

Of course. I'm not Gary Gygax, I don't hate wizards. Smart enemies will attempt to disrupt or cripple any perceived threat. You know, there is a reason bards can be proficient in three instruments. It only takes one experience of an ogre smashing your loot to splinters to learn to keep a penny whistle and harmonica tucked away as a back up (AND COMPONENTS!!! BARDS CAN CAST SPELLS WITH MATERIAL COMPONENT REQUIREMENTS WITHOUT AN INSTRUMENT IF THEY HAVE THE COMPONENTS AT HAND).

If you want to make the "thrill of upkeep" a fun part of your campaign and your players are onboard with it then you should make ALL the characters have to do the work, not just a subset of them.
DS

They already do if you track lifestyle expenses, rations, water, ammunition, healing kits, daggers, etc...

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Yep, I understand. This is the main thing I'm analyzing right now. My change is very minor. Why even make it. Well, the one simple change of requiring that you study with the actual material component to learn the spell before you can cast it with a spellcasting focus accomplishes:

1. An additional tie to your mentor, academy, coven or other sources of the training used in the downtime activity: training to get a level.

2. A resource drain and a reason to spend gold if you want to have components as back up.

3. It makes some spells like "banishment" more interesting and less game-breaking.

4. Creates extra plot-hook potential

5. Another incentive to explore

In 5e right now foci can be broken, stolen or lost and i can say "you dont find red dragon scales right now" or 50gp diamonds, or wychwood or petrified newt eye etc etc etc

So, i do not need any house rule to use a shortage of an unusual component as a plot seed.

I just need the circumstances and decision thats its more plausible or more fun to make that a thing they spend screen time on.

By 5e, neither the arcane focus or spell components pouch work for materials with cost or materials consumed (even with no cost). So those are already explicitly "must get".

But if thats not enough opportunities...

By 5e rules, a spell component pouch "holds" components, not "conjures them." So, it must be loaded, right?

No house rule is needed for your casters in 5e RAW to need to spend screen time to find components as often as fits your setting.

Right?

I get the idea of seeing it as new downtime activities, like say repairing armor etc... But for me i prefer to add new downtime activities that are more... well... More tuned to my player characters interests than bookkeeping.

"Quest for newts to blind" or "hunt urchin who stole my crystal"?

Tough call.

Li Shenron

Legend
A valid and common preference.

Uh, is it common to NOT track ammunition? I've played 5e for over 4 years and never tracked or had players track components in any game I've played in or ran, but in every one, ammunition was tracked. And this is RAW. After a battle, if you spend a minute searching the battlefield, you can recover 50% of your spent ammunition. This assumes you are tracking your ammunition in the first place.

We all have tunnel vision. Almost all the gamed I've played including previous editions, started off with the DM saying everyone should track ammunition, and within a couple of sessions everyone stopped bothering.

I would love to be a player in a game with micromanagement, but you just have to admit it's a playstyle for the minority.

5ekyu

Hero
Yep, I understand. This is the main thing I'm analyzing right now. My change is very minor. Why even make it. Well, the one simple change of requiring that you study with the actual material component to learn the spell before you can cast it with a spellcasting focus accomplishes:

1. An additional tie to your mentor, academy, coven or other sources of the training used in the downtime activity: training to get a level.

2. A resource drain and a reason to spend gold if you want to have components as back up.

3. It makes some spells like "banishment" more interesting and less game-breaking.

4. Creates extra plot-hook potential

5. Another incentive to explore

Again, you list changes but not their weight, necessity or even benefit... to be wieghed vs the bookkeeping and use of screen time.

1 - Another tie - do you find you do not have the ability to establish enough ties now? Is the adding of "at spell time you might maybe need to ask them about a certain component *if* you do not just decide "screw it not worth the bother" going to add enough screentime activity to show these ties *that are mkore interesting than the ways you have now* to make it worth your while to add house rules and deal with possible side effects - especially when you tell the magic guys "yeah but nothing like this for the fighters"?

2 - there is already reason to have backups for focuses and spell comp pouches in 5e now. You already need by RAW to track consumables and costly components. Where is this gold sink and how significant is it above and beyond the normal training costs? is it going to be included in training costs for arcanists? is your target that it is going to amount over time to 1% more cost? 10%, 50%. 100%? Is having the house rule and its "alternative costs" on top of training worth potential downsides like discouraging casters from taking as many or many material spells?

3 - yes, you can find a few cases where you like the impact it has on spells - but lets face it - unless you have gone thru the book and assessed the impact spell by spell - work you said you did not want to do iirc - then its just as likely to break some - making them less interesting, less useful than they need to be. Is tasha's a problem so that finding and keeping tarts fresh in your gear is needed to reign it in? More on banishment later... but without the homework - its guesswork..

4 - It changes the "origin point" of plot hooks, not more. in 5e now, the need to find a component is already a plot-hook you can have in play. it can occur when a component is consumable or is costly. it can occur when out in the field, when leveling up with new spells, after conflict, after theft etc. Is having the house rule and its "alternative spicing" worth potential downsides like discouraging casters from taking as many or many material spells?

5 - Again - there are already reasons and needs to explore specifically related to components - costly and consumables or shortages in town etc etc etc without your house rules at all. In addition to these there are the gazillion others. Is having the house rule and its "alternative spicing" worth potential downsides like discouraging casters from taking as many or many material spells?

On Banishment which you tout as a success...

How does that work under your rule different from RAW?

As i understand at the time you learn banishment, you would have to get the materials once - say find something distasteful to a chicken and then banish a chicken. Then you could use your focus and use a matcomp pouch?

So, its more interesting and less game breaking to throw a chicken to the plane of fire? That makes it less of an in-game problem?

Or are you going to have a special subset of house rules spell-by-spell? back to that homework?

For me, i would simply house rule "which is consumed by the spell" to the material comp on Banishment and viola - now they have to spend a component every time which bring it to "get to know your target" and not "banish a chicken and now i can use my focus on whatever i want"

Same thing i tend to do with say the summon demon spell which requires "blood from a humanoid that died within 24 hours" when i did my homework.

The rule you seem to be suggesting and leaning towards and the hopes you have for it seem to not link-up well from either a need nor a result perspective.

Are any of these (whenc ompared with the alternatives existing now in RAW or with more targeted house rules) worth "damn, forget it, wont play arcanist" or "nah, i will just skip magics with materials that are any trouble at all" which seem to just bypass the entire rule you add and avoid the extra bookkeeping?

What are your house rules for "tarts in a pouch?" Surely if you expect the players to add them and track them you have a weight, price, volume and how long they survive in a pouch in hot rainy weather, right? What does a stick of incense cost? What the heck is Wychwood and how does one find it? What terrains is it native to?

You asked about how this is different from tracking rations, waterskins, arrows and darts and other consumables and expendables - - well - those things already have weights and costs provided. many of the matcomps do not. So if you want to treat them the same but not do a lot of work... how can that work?

Some players at my table have enough challenge to simply manage spell application.
If they have to manage spell component on top of this they will go mad.

In 5ed full caster don’t have to be placed in check by nastier rules.
Caster often forget the universal concentration check, don’t need to add more rules.

You want to play a mage, to use magic, you don’t want to take care each round about your component pouch or your spell focus.

Chaosmancer

Legend
That doesn't, IMO, nerf casters. They can hide multiple component pouches on their person if they are worried about losing both their focus and components. They may also want to have some safe house, store room, hidden cache, or laboratory where they store extra components in case they lose the components on their person. This just drips spell casting flavor for me.

One other change I am thinking about now is that the spell caster can only be attuned to one focus at a time. But it is a special focus-attunement slot that doesn't count against magic item attunement limits. Otherwise, at higher levels, the caster can just have, say, an extra wand hidden on his person. I like the idea that if your wand/instrument/staff/holy symbol is broken, stolen, lost, you need to get somewhere where you can take the time and money to make or buy a new one.

It drips with flavor, but I can also see it being aggravating. Having multiple component pouches means that they have to have multiples of the same components. For some easy, for those which are quest worthy did they get four or five of the component?

And which bag is it in? If components are specific and become necessary then they have to mark which bag the component is in, unless they are quantum bags which contain what they need to contain at the time.

IRL "magic" rituals are full of stuff like this. I like magic to have these weird associations. Most adventurers can sew. It is assumed they mend and make simple items as they travel. It would not be difficult to stitch together a small cloak. It needn't be perfect. And, yes, I do love the idea of a wizard trying to trade or steal a pixie's cloak. It is a fun role-playing opportunity.

A fun roleplay opportunity, but for a cantrip almost no one uses anyways because it isn't good enough.

I admit, I didn't realize people who weren't proficient in Tailor's Tools can sew clothing, but it just makes a little used cantrip less likely to be picked at later levels because they are going to look at the component list and decide it isn't worth the time and effort.

And, while "realism" is cool, sometimes it causes gameplay problems that I don't want to deal with.

Good creative thinking! Hopefully your mentor is high enough level to provide one to you. But maybe you have to go get a newt for him to petrify for you.

See, this is why I LOVE making components matter. My D&D games need more newt hunts!

See, I think it would just frustrate my players. They want to focus on getting to the Temple of Light to discover information about the trouble brewing in the Western Mountains while dealing with the fact that the Sorcerer just picked up an orphaned ward by promising to teach them magic.

Not hunting down amphibians so they can cast spells like the rules allow.

Note - I am not doing away with spell focus. Just that you have to have studied with the component before you can cast the spell with the focus. I assume that the wizards academy or higher-level caster you are learning from will have this available. Or go to jewelers and pay to let them study with a diamond for a nominal fee. If you want a backup diamond while travelling, in case you loe your focus, well, you need to find a way to get one.

Well, in this specific case this was just me grouching because in fact you are wrong about how Chromatic Orbs component works. Remember, you can use a focus in place of material components as long as the material components do not have a listed price. Chromatic orb is specifically a diamond worth at least 50 gp.

So, RAW, you need that diamond to cast that spell. No matter what. I find it a stupid restriction for a mid-tier 1st level spell.

Edit: It seems you caught it requiring the diamond in later posts. You did say something I'd want to point out though "Why couldn't the diamond be a quest reward?"

Two things. One, you'd have to tell the player ahead of time that you are going to give this item as a reward so it is fine if they take the spell. Two, most tables aren't so lovey-dovey that the team would be willing to do something dangerous for all of them simply so one person could get something. Even if it was something like giving the Fighter Plate Mail which is demonstrably useful for the entire party, I'd have the rest of the group asking me "That's great, but what am I getting for doing this?"

It is a style thing I bet, but the idea of a reward being so specific is unusual to me.

Again, not an issue for me.

1. No oaks in your area? I smell a plot hook.

2. Someone else may have some and sell it to you or your mentor may let you borrow to study with it and then you use your focus to cast thereafter.

3. Upthread there was a recommendation to allow players to propose alternative components and make a skill check with an alchemist set to see if they can figure out how to cast the spell with the substitute. I'm all for that! So then, yes, try with the bark from other trees.

4. My players use DnD Beyond, so no copying from one sheet to another. I trust them to manage their own inventories. If I wanted to, I suppose I could review their DnD Beyond sheets, but if I felt the need to do that, I wouldn't be playing with them.

4) Yeah, we use paper sheets. I've only got one person using DnD Beyond, and I generally end up forgetting it is an option
1) I don’t smell a plot hook. More than likely, I would ask you the DM if there were Oaks in the region, and if you said no, I just wouldn’t take the spell. Why take a spell that I won’t be able to use until I complete a sidequest, which requires interrupting whatever the party is currently doing or wants to do next, instead of a spell that has easily available components that won’t disrupt the party’s plans and that I can use quickly. I’ve seen this quite often, personal quests take a backseat to the main storyline, and players will feel pressure to opt for quicker resolutions to not hold up the rest of the group.

You do research. You make a nature check. You do trial and error. Banishment is an annoying, broken spell without this limitation. Even with a focus, I would say, you need to bring to mind something distasteful to the creature that you have actually physically held in the past. Which is great for role-playing. If give the wizard an incentive to play around with every disgusting thing he comes across so he can properly envision it when casting the spell.

Hey, that's their choice. But if you want to have banishment, you better start getting up close and personal with a lot of gross stuff. Sure, most will rely on there focus...until they have it stolen or destroyed. I'm not going to cry from them. They can still cast spells without material components and they could have stocked up on some back up material components. A fighter that gets disarmed doesn't have as many backup options.
You can’t really “trial and error” banishing a giant so the party can run away. You either can or you can’t. And, I feel like in practice, this limitation is only going to make it more likely Banishment is used in it’s most annoying context, because players are only going to be capable of using it on enemies that they can prepare for for a significant amount of time, so boss monsters especially.

Or, you’ll allow “that time I touched an Otyugh” to count for 90% of Banishment uses and it won’t end up mattering anyways.

ABSOLUTELY! Why is everyone making the enemies so damn polite. Disarm the fighters! Steal/destroy/cast away the wizards pouches and wands. Make the party think more tactically. Have backups to your backup. Take measures to make it difficult to steal your components and focus.

Because I have trouble with players who haven’t figured out focusing fire is a good strategy or that finishing the fight before looting the bodies is better than “called it” and running the enemy wizard’s corpse. Heck, I get new players who can’t remember how to cast spells regularly.

If I actually disarmed the fighter and took away their weapon in a combat, I’d probably end up with a TPK that combat.

And additionally, in so many of the cases with these material components, once you have the thing, even if your focus gets taken away you can still cast. Unless you also take their components or they don’t have that component. So, unless I’m spending two rolls to remove all combat potential from them, it doesn’t end up mattering. Sure, I could have the valor bard tell me they drop their shield, grab the pinch of salt they took from old man Jenkins in episode two to cast their spell, then use their item interaction to pick up their shield and reequip it… or, they can tell me what they cast and we can keep the combat moving. The place we end up is the same, so why make them jump through hoops they don’t want to jump through.

I'm not saying that each and every component has to be a side quest. In fact, obtaining many components will be a downtime activity. But it gives additional tactical considerations that add to more interesting combats. It balances out some spells like banishment. And it does give a wealth of plot hooks and role-playing opportunities.

But, if the players don't want to deal with it, then, like encumbrance, it can be handwaved. But many people enjoy the resource management aspect.

And like I said in my first comment, if this leads to a game you and your players will enjoy, go for it and I wish you well.

But, whether this ends up fun for the players is debatable, and whether you really want some of the potential results is questionable. After all, if I was a wizard who kept getting his staff stolen and it messed up my casting and I kept having to make new ones, I ask for one to be made with a chain and manacle it to my wrist so it can’t be stolen. Or pick spells with simple components that are easy to obtain and specify that I’m carrying five different component pouches, with a few spares in our luggage. Because I don’t want to deal with losing my abilities.

Or, play a monk and be incapable of being disarmed. Or tattoo my holy symbol on my hands so I always have my holy symbol available.

But, these aren’t done for interesting character reasons, they are pre-emptive counters to the DM. which just make them less fun for me. I don’t want to be constantly trying to out-think the DM, I want to enjoy the game.

Do archers in your game just have unlimited ammunition?

It isn't any more difficult counting arrows than hit points. HeroLab will even print off character sheets with little boxes to check off for tracking limited resources like ammunition. On-line character sheets make it even easier. Some DMs hand out toothpicks to represent arrows/bolts/bullets. When the character makes a ranged attack they can just throw the toothpick onto the battlemap.

I’ve never bothered to track arrows in DnD or bullets in most games. 20 arrows cost 1 gold. Player decides to spend 5 gold of their starting cash on arrows and starts with 120. They will need to make around 240 attack rolls per RAW before they need to get more arrows. But frankly, even that many bought is over kill because enemies carry arrows, and killing a tribe of 8 goblins will probably net you at least 24 more arrows, and those gnolls carry arrows, and those bandits carry arrows.

And it only costs 5 gold to replenish back to stock if all that fails at some point during the campaign.

The only limitation is if you start using only 20 arrows per quiver and a player is only allowed to carry one quiver. Then they either get a cart or a mule to carry their extra equipment or they run out if they are away from a town for more than a few weeks. of dangerous trecking… unless they can simply make more arrows as a fletcher.

It simply isn’t worth the headache.

Last edited:

I think players should always have an option.
Want to apply pressure on component, spell focus, fine.
How can the players react.
A fighter can still pick an improvised weapon, grapple, shove when his main weapon is not available,
If a caster cant cast, its options are more limited.
Simply bug players is not interesting, you should work to add options.
Ex: Cast a spell at higher level always removed the need for somatic, and/or component at no gold cost.

5ekyu

Hero
I think players should always have an option.
Want to apply pressure on component, spell focus, fine.
How can the players react.
A fighter can still pick an improvised weapon, grapple, shove when his main weapon is not available,
If a caster cant cast, its options are more limited.
Simply bug players is not interesting, you should work to add options.
Ex: Cast a spell at higher level always removed the need for somatic, and/or component at no gold cost.
Well the 5e game I was playing in just folded do I sm gearing up for one myself.

I plan to follow the suggestion I gave a while back...

Each school will have up to a half dozen components thematically linked to it. Mix and match with a few levels. That covers all the "free materials only the highest tiers will be difficult.

The costly and/or consumed materials will be replaced with a physical manifestation of magic, a natural resource which is hard to get and refine this getting a value. You can either carrier around it (Shimmer Bloom Petals" or you can use rituals to "cook them into your focus" which works like a GP battery.

So this should result in a few thematic material per school plus a more basic magical (gp) currency instead of specific gems and the like. Even allows a sort of advance crafting to harvest and profit off the petals.

A little simpler to manage and a bit more "thematically flavored" and no tarts required.

Remove ads