• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Revisiting Old Campaigns

ThirdWizard

First Post
I had an extremely successful campaign that ran off and on from '98 to '08. It's one of those campaigns where we still sit and reminisce about old times, what happened, and how fun it was. I had a thought pop into my head about running a one shot with the same characters, picked out at some point during the game, as a side adventure they had. A revisiting old friends sort of thing.

However, is this a good idea? Can the feeling be recaptured, and if it doesn't, will it sour our memories of the campaign? But, it could be so much fun. I'm not DMing a game right now, so I have the time to pour over all my old notes and sculpt a game that captures the feel of those times, if I have the ability to capture it.

What do you think? Has anyone tried this? What could go wrong, what could go right?

Mallus

Legend
Definitely do it. There really isn't downside -- just try to keep your expectations realistic. Say to yourself, "it may not be as good, but there's no reason why it won't be good in it's own way".

In September I'm going up for a day session of the US Open --go Rafa!-- with an old friend who played in the first ever long-running campaign --go AD&D 2nd edition!-- I DM'ed. I've never played in, or run, a game like it since. The last session was approximately 14-15 years ago.

We've been talking idly about starting it up again/finishing it. I plan on using the long ride out to Queens to --finally-- set that in motion!

fba827

Adventurer
if you're just talking a one-shot, the chances of doing 'harm' to the memory is slim. so go for it.

do you have the same players? (else if you have a mix of old and new, keep in mind that the things you do shouldn't be dependent upon the old stuff else the new guys will feel lost)

For the sake of continuity, (and i can't tell exactly from the way you worded it so i may be misunderstanding) rather than go for a side adventure that they would have had during the campaign, maybe go for what they are called to do after the campaign? allowing them to see how things turned out? (not that you couldn't pull off the side trek flashback thing, just make sure it is isolated enough that what they did there wouldn't have affected the campaign adventures and outcomes that they did do the first time through).

I don't know how fickle your players are, but you may want to be prepared just in case one person wants to change their PC for some reason. so how would you account for the new PC and absence of the old.

Stumblewyk

Adventurer
What do you think? Has anyone tried this? What could go wrong, what could go right?
The only thing I'd be worried about is, if using the "side trek" dealy, is that it assumes the PCs survived the side trek. Otherwise...the main campaign plot would not have been able to carry on. Or even if one PC dies, and the others get that PC raised, I have to assume somewhere along the line someone would say "Hey, remember that time you died while we were fighting the the giant slimy Snot Avatar of Gorgolaxicon that was attacking Happyvillage Town?" And then you're stuck retconning. Which is fun for absolutely no one.

Therefore you're either shoehorned into purposely toning down the adventure so that the party can stomp through it, or you're trapped handwaving stuff. The side trek model also assumes that events of the adventure were not worth remarking on in the first place.

I have to agree with [MENTION=807]fba827[/MENTION] and suggest going with a "post-campaign" trek. That lets them be the big damn heroes, you don't have to pull punches, and there's no retconning/handwaving required, keeping everyone happy and not breaking immersion at all.

Janx

Hero
I have to agree with [MENTION=807]fba827[/MENTION] and suggest going with a "post-campaign" trek. That lets them be the big damn heroes, you don't have to pull punches, and there's no retconning/handwaving required, keeping everyone happy and not breaking immersion at all.

I agree.

If my PC dies, that affects the what happened next that this little adventure was jammed in the middle of. Unless it's a true time travel adventure. But then, you've got the impact of hey, we just undid everything that happened in that campaign effect.

I think it'd be easier trotting out the old PCs for one more "showing those kids how to save the world" games. And then, I'd only do it if its the original players. If I had new players, I think they'd be feeling a bit out of place as they don't have the rich backstory, and the don't really belong.

My group has been playing the same campaign world since 1991. PCs will get played up to some level where it feels like we're done, and then we move on to a new party in a new area or time (sometimes right after the last group retired, sometimes centuries later). So the world has a richness that everybody can leverage.

ThirdWizard

First Post
In September I'm going up for a day session of the US Open --go Rafa!-- with an old friend who played in the first ever long-running campaign --go AD&D 2nd edition!-- I DM'ed. I've never played in, or run, a game like it since. The last session was approximately 14-15 years ago.

Good luck with that! I'd be interested in how that turns out.

do you have the same players? (else if you have a mix of old and new, keep in mind that the things you do shouldn't be dependent upon the old stuff else the new guys will feel lost)

The only new player is my wife, and all my players from that game are still around. I'm working on some ideas to incorporate her into the game without her being out in left field. It is difficult. If you ever watched Farscape, and you missed an episode, you could become totally lost. It kind of had that kind of feel to it. Plus it's Planescape and if you aren't familiar with that setting already...

I think what I would need to do would be to give her some kind of knowledge that they don't have to make things even. Then, everyone is bringing something to the table and nobody is left out.

For the sake of continuity, (and i can't tell exactly from the way you worded it so i may be misunderstanding) rather than go for a side adventure that they would have had during the campaign, maybe go for what they are called to do after the campaign? allowing them to see how things turned out? (not that you couldn't pull off the side trek flashback thing, just make sure it is isolated enough that what they did there wouldn't have affected the campaign adventures and outcomes that they did do the first time through).

See, the reason I am thinking about doing a side adventure that happened at some point during the campaign is that I don't think I could pull off a full level 20 3.5 game after not having played it for several years. It was incredibly difficult running the game having organically grown into it from them being level 1 rapscallions. I do not want to be fumbling with the rules during the game. Level 13-15 I could probably do.

If I could do an after campaign adventure, though, it would be blow their minds fantastically. It ended on kind of a cliffhanger, at least as far as the fate of the world was concerned, even though their part in the story was over. Exploring what happened as a fallout to their actions could be a great concept for them to explore. I'll think on it some. This would be the big gamble that could pay out incredibly well.

I don't know how fickle your players are, but you may want to be prepared just in case one person wants to change their PC for some reason. so how would you account for the new PC and absence of the old.

Not a problem. They love these characters.

The only thing I'd be worried about is, if using the "side trek" dealy, is that it assumes the PCs survived the side trek. Otherwise...the main campaign plot would not have been able to carry on. Or even if one PC dies, and the others get that PC raised, I have to assume somewhere along the line someone would say "Hey, remember that time you died while we were fighting the the giant slimy Snot Avatar of Gorgolaxicon that was attacking Happyvillage Town?" And then you're stuck retconning. Which is fun for absolutely no one.

I actually gave this some thought. The thing is, though, they died a lot in that game. We lost count of how many times they died. More would be a drop in the bucket. They even had a kind of TPK insurance set up, where if they disapeared and were presumed dead, there would be True Ressurections for them. Their stuff would be gone, though, and they'd have to get it back.

That brings up another rub with doing something in the middle of the campaign, though. We don't have character sheets of, say, a level 13 party. We'd have to make them up, skills, feats, and magic items worth. That could either be a fun exercise or an inconsistency, depending on how people view it.

More to think about!

But, yes, this makes sense, and I agree with it. It's just daunting. I'll have to give it some thought. It's not like I'd have to run the game next week... or next month for that matter. At the earliest, probably October.

We've got one guy in the group that hates time travel because paradoxes make his head hurt. I think he would go frothing mad if any inconsistencies cropped up in the campaign. So, its looking more and more like I need to suck it up and relearn how to run a successful 20th level game!

fba827

Adventurer
See, the reason I am thinking about doing a side adventure that happened at some point during the campaign is that I don't think I could pull off a full level 20 3.5 game after not having played it for several years. It was incredibly difficult running the game having organically grown into it from them being level 1 rapscallions. I do not want to be fumbling with the rules during the game. Level 13-15 I could probably do.

If I could do an after campaign adventure, though, it would be blow their minds fantastically. It ended on kind of a cliffhanger, at least as far as the fate of the world was concerned, even though their part in the story was over. Exploring what happened as a fallout to their actions could be a great concept for them to explore. I'll think on it some. This would be the big gamble that could pay out incredibly well.

Exploring this just for the sake of exploring the topic, i'm not in any way saying you -have- to do this...
If you want to revisit the -setting- and -plot- and if you want to hit a target level. BUT are willing to forgo the old PCs, then you could have it be new PCs that are dealing with the aftermath of the campaign. Thus keeping setting and story while maintaining the target level you're hoping to hit. but not getting caught up in potential paradoxes and what not from inserting something into a past event.

But in any case, you are talking about a one-shot here. therefore the amount of potential damage would be minimal so i don't think it's the end of the world if you went with it.. just as others said, make sure it's isolated enough that you won't get into an issue if they do something (action or death) that would undo something that happened during the actual campaign itself.

Jimlock

Adventurer
As others have mentioned, you might get in trouble with time pradoxes (what if someone dies?).

When I want to relive old gaming times, I try to play in games that actually have this flavor that I'm missing, no matter if I play with a new character... no matter if I DM a new champaign.

thastygliax

First Post
The longest campaign I've ever run was just over three years, and only came to an end because one of the three players was progressively getting more and more buried by her job. We finished out the current story arc, which ended on a high note (purifying a corrupted holy relic, and saving the Emperor's family by driving off the undead traitor prince responsible for the relic's fate).

The party had a definite plan for what to do next (looking for the long-lost mother of the before-mentioned player's character), and I have a few notes about what to do with that. However, the game ended in 2002, and while we regularly game with each other, we've never been in a game with all four of us since then (barring occasional one-shot LARPs). Also, we used GURPS 3E, so we'd have to have a long discussion about whether to use 3E (which we all know reasonably well, though it's been years) or 4E (which has substantial improvements).

Remove ads