D&D 4E Revisiting Reavers of Harkenwold

Skip to the end because the aftermath of RoH, after the Iron Keep assault, is one of my (and my old players') favorite parts. How could this be expanded?

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Skip to the end because the aftermath of RoH, after the Iron Keep assault, is one of my (and my old players') favorite parts. How could this be expanded?
Well, my original premise was to lead into Gardmore Abbey. Otherwise, I hadn't given that much thought. I suppose there may be unfinished business between the Harkenwood elves and Daggerburg goblins. But that may be a completely different adventure path altogether.

Anyway, I do feel like I need to finish the next part before the assault on Iron Keep. And perhaps the battle of Harken could be expanded as well...?

Sorry - to be more clear - at the end of ROH, the iron circle sends a ‘fixer’ after the PCs.

like all ‘one guy vs. many PCs’ this has serious mechanical problems but it’s still super fun.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Sorry - to be more clear - at the end of ROH, the iron circle sends a ‘fixer’ after the PCs.

like all ‘one guy vs. many PCs’ this has serious mechanical problems but it’s still super fun.
Oh, that! Yeah, I didn't really care for it myself. It felt like an afterthought without much reason or consequence for it. Maybe they were trying to fill in the last page to make the word count? Or more likely, they needed to throw in a Solo monster because the entire adventure seemed to lack any.

Anyway, as far as expanding this, I would simply have the party hounded by bounty hunters and "fixers" sent by the Iron Circle and anyone else they might have crossed during their escapades in RoH. These could be a series of one-off encounters at inopportune moments of the continuing campaign. This gives the players a sense of having rivals and feeling like their actions have long-reaching consequences. But I wouldn't want to overdo it unless it was going to lead to another adventure arc that brings them back to deal with an old nemesis with a new plan.

‘Old nemesis with a new plan’ is going to play into my ROH run.

It’s going to be:
  • some 1st level ease-back-into-4e adventure
  • Reavers but instead of the Iron Circle it’s the Cult of the Devourer (Acererak’s cult)
  • some interstitial material
  • 4e’s Tomb of Horrors (err… the published hardback, not the 4e-ized version of the O.G. Tomb)

Your tying together of ROH with various devils and tieflings fits very nicely with my Tomb of Horrors plan given that Acererak is (was) a cambion!

Anyway — a stream of devilish bounty hunters, et al. Hounding the PCs throughout the middle levels will fit perfectly.

Remove ads