• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reviving Greyhawk: A letter-writing campaign.

jokamachi

Explorer
There are a lot of Greyhawk fans out there who no doubt feel their favorite setting has been passed over and abandoned by the current designers of D&D. While this sad turn of events has stirred up frustration and discontent amongst fans, we shouldn't forget that there are options still open to us as a gaming community.

Our voice counts for something, and that is why I propose a letter-writing campaign on behalf of Greyhawk. When you think about it, letters are powerful things. They're tactile, take up space on a desk, and demand they be answered in kind. That's why I believe actual letters will have a greater impact on Wotc game-designers than an irrate email or a request thread on a messageboard.

The tone of these letters need not be aggressive (or rude), merely firm in the resolve that you would like to see Greyhawk receive more support and funding than it has seen in the past few years. Illustrate that you are a loyal customer of Wotc, one of many that wish to see the setting restored to its former glory. Tell them what D&D and Greyhawk mean to you.

Lastly, ask for your response. Do not supply an email address. Make it known that you have taken the time to write to them and deserve an equally respectful response. This will have a greater effect than you think. If you find that response to be dissatisfactory, you are well within your rights to continue your communication with Wotc, requesting that Greyhawk receive the fair and equitable treatment it deserves as D&D's classic setting.

Remember, this is your chance to be heard. Do not be dissuaded from what others might write in response to this thread. There is nothing wrong with consumer feedback. All companies encourage such behavior and depend upon it for their livelihood.

If you love Greyhawk, make your feelings known. All you need is a stamp, an envelope, a piece of paper, and a few minutes of your time.

Here is the address...

Wizards of the Coast
D&D Brand manager
PO Box 707
Renton, WA. 98057

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
No offense my friend...but I think the best you can hope for at the moment is Cannon Fire...or something like it.

Gnome Berzerker

First Post
I don't know how much it'll help, but I'll write a letter when I get the chance as well (it might be a while).

I think it's sad that the original setting is being forgotten.

johnsemlak

First Post
The Blue Elf said:
You might as well email them?

Written letters have a much stronger effect overall than email for this sort of thing. A written letter represents a much greater effort. Can't remember the stats, but I think one signed letter can be worth 10 or even 100 emails.

bigdndfan

First Post
As a big Greyhawk fan myself, I appreciate your effort. But WOTC has made a firm buisnsess decision about how to deal with Greyhawk: Living Greyhawk.

Remember those not so great Greyhawk modules that came out on the late 1990's? I believe those didn't sell well.

Why risk making Greyhawk stuff when they know FR stuff will sell? WOTC isn't doing very well financially. The risk isn't worth it.

They made Greyhawk the default setting and turned Greyhawk over to the RPGA. That's all we're gonna get.

johnsemlak

First Post
bigdndfan said:
Remember those not so great Greyhawk modules that came out on the late 1990's? I believe those didn't sell well.

Why risk making Greyhawk stuff when they know FR stuff will sell? WOTC isn't doing very well financially. The risk isn't worth it.

Greyhawk modules didn't sell well probably because of the general trend that modules don't sell well anymore.

I would think a Greyhawk sourcebook, a Player's Guide for example, with a lot of crunchy info, could sell.

But overall you're probably right. It doesn't appear that there will be any more Greyhawk publications on the horizon :(

Gnome Berzerker

First Post
Even if WotC were to release an updated LGG, for 3.5, I'd be happy.

The setting deserves a hardcover sourcebook, though, even if it's just one book.

Remove ads