• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reworking Racial Paragons

Jaerom Darkwind

First Post
Mirror threads on the WotC boards:
Unearthed Arcana board
Races board

This thread was originally posted at Dicefreaks. Many thanks to Kain Darkwind, Bane, and all the others who contributed ideas. And to those of you who merely lurked in the shadows, watching but never giving advice: Curse you all!!! ;) --JD

I love the concept of racial paragons presented in Unearthed Arcana. The flavor is great, and the concept is one that had never occurred to me, but that I liked from the start. There are a few problems in its implementation, but still, I’d like to make the classes workable. I’d love to be able to create low-level NPCs (or even PCs) who aren’t members of any specific class, but just "average" members of their races. I’m reworking the classes to include 5 levels, and am paying specific attention to making them A) playable from 1st level, and B) worth taking for all 5 levels. These versions, then, are based on both the core race and the racial paragon mechanics and patterns already established. I’ve tried to change as little as possible while fulfilling my own vision of how they should be.

One addition to the racial paragon that is 100% original is the Racial Prestige feature. This allows a character who advances 5 levels in her racial paragon class to gain special advantages in qualifying for the prestige class that best represents her race, designed to allow her to qualify for a class at 6th level when it normally wouldn't be possible. This serves as something of an extension of the paragon class itself, allowing a character to continue improving her racial strengths and fulfilling her race's ideals.

Note that paragon classes are considered to be racially favored in addition to any other favored class, and thus never cause experience penalties.

All of the PHB races are now complete, as well as the Aasimar, Orc, and Teifling.

A warning: These classes use medium saves extensively—if you’re not a fan of the medium save, you’ll need to do some conversion.

THE MEDIUM SAVE
Code:
[size=2][b]Formula:[/b] 1 1/5 + 2/5 class level

[b]      Med    Fracc
[u]Lvl   Save   Save  [/u][/b]
1st    +1    +1 3/5
2nd    +2    +2
3rd    +2    +2 2/5
4th    +2    +2 4/5
5th    +3    +3 1/5
6th    +3    +3 3/5
7th    +4    +4 
8th    +4    +4 2/5
9th    +4    +4 4/5
10th   +5    +5 1/5
11th   +5    +5 3/5
12th   +6    +6 
13th   +6    +6 2/5
14th   +6    +6 4/5
15th   +7    +7 1/5
16th   +7    +7 3/5
17th   +8    +8 
18th   +8    +8 2/5
19th   +8    +8 4/5
20th   +9    +9 1/5[/size]

The Paragon Human is cool because of its sheer versatility—truly fitting of the race. It can be anything, depending on how you build. You want a psionic human? Take psionic skills and begin advancing in manifester levels as a psion. An arcane warrior? You’ve got the skills and feats, just advance in sorcerer spellcasting, etc.

The problem with the human was its first level. 4 SP and an ability that doesn’t even take effect until you leave the class? I advanced them to 6 SP per level (since the half-humans already get 4), and gave them a free skill focus and medium armor. I think it looks a lot better now. I also gave them all medium saves, rather than some high and some low, since it fits more with the jack-of-all-trades nature of the human.

This is the best time to point out a major change I’ve added to the paragon classes—that of spellcasting. The fact that some characters get spells in these classes and others don’t, with no compensation, bugs me a lot. Either the class is balanced with the spellcasting, or it isn’t. If it is, then it’s underpowered without it. If it isn’t, then spellcasters become overpowered with it. I’ll give Andy Collins et al the benefit of the doubt, and say that the material they published isn’t overpowered, so subtracting the casting really hurts the classes. My solution is that a character with no spellcasting that enters one of these classes can begin advancing, beginning at caster level 1. Humans can choose which class they want. I think it looks fine, but if it becomes a problem, I’m also considering giving these characters apprentice-level casting at level 2, and full 1st-level casting at 3 (with 2nd-level casting coming at 5, as normal). But I’d like opinions first.

HUMAN PARAGON (Human)

Alignment: Any.
HD: d8.

Code:
[size=2][b]          Fort  Ref   Will
[u]Lvl  BAB  Save  Save  Save  Special                        Spells Per Day            [/u][/b]
1st  +0    +1    +1    +1   Adaptive learning, skill focus --
2nd  +1    +2    +2    +2   Bonus feat                     +1 level in existing class
3rd  +2    +2    +2    +2   Ability boost (+2)             +1 level in existing class
4th  +3    +2    +2    +2   Bonus feat                     --
5th  +3    +3    +3    +3   Ability boost (+2)             +1 level in existing class[/size]
Class Skills
The human paragon can choose any 12 skills to be class skills (Knowledge skills must be selected individually).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Higher Levels: 6 + Int modifier.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the human paragon.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Human paragons are proficient with all simple weapons, with light and medium armor, and with bucklers. In addition, they are proficient with any one martial weapon of their choice. Human paragons not already proficient with all martial weapons may forgo their martial weapon proficiency and gain instead the Improved Unarmed Strike feat as a bonus feat.

Spells Per Day: At 2nd, 3rd, and 5th level, a human paragon gains new spells per day (and spells known is applicable) as if she had gained a level in a previous spellcasting class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that she adds these levels of human paragon to her levels in the spellcasting class, and then determines known spells and spells per day accordingly. However, the human paragon adds her entire class level to her levels in the spellcasting class to determine her caster level.

For example, a clr4/human3 would have the spell per day of a 6th-level cleric, but would resolve the effects of these spells as a 7th-level caster. A human5 who chose to study wizardry would have the spells per day of a 3rd-level wizard, but would cast these spells as a 5th-level caster.

If the human paragon has levels in more than one spellcasting class, she must choose which class to apply the effective caster level increase to at each level. If she has no levels in a spellcasting class, she may choose one and begin gaining spellcasting ability from that class (she is considered to have a class level of 0, to which she adds these bonus levels). The human paragon may similarly choose to advance in psionic ability, and receive bonus manifester levels at these levels in place of caster levels.

A human paragon must meet any campaign-specific prerequisites for entering and advancing in a chosen spellcasting class normally.

Adaptive Learning (Ex): At 1st level, a human paragon can designate any one of her selected class skills as an adaptive skill. This skill is treated as a class skill in all respects for all classes of that character, both current and future. For example, a human paragon who chooses Spot as an adaptive skill can treat Spot as a class skill for all future class levels, even if it is not normally a class skill for these classes.

Skill Focus: At 1st level, a human paragon gains a bonus Skill Focus feat. This feat must apply to her selected adaptive skill.

Bonus feat: At 2nd and 4th level, a human paragon gains a bonus feat. She must meet the prerequisites for the bonus feat normally.

Ability Boost: At 3rd level, and again at 5th level, a human paragon gains a +2 racial bonus to an ability score of her choice.

Human Prestige: A 5th-level human paragon may qualify to enter certain prestige classes even if she doesn't meet all of the prerequisites. She qualifies as though her base attack bonus were two points higher, as though she had two additional ranks in her adaptive skill, as though she could cast spells one level higher than her highest-level spell, and as though she were proficient with all martial weapons and heavy armor. Popular choices for adventuring human paragons are the extreme explorer and harper scout prestige classes.

The standard human paragon assumes at least a moderate level of magic in a campaign world, and that magic is readily available (and desirable) to all who wish to study it. Thus, a paragon human would jump at the chance to add magic to her already considerable array of abilities. However, in a more nitty-gritty world, where magic isn't as open or available, a human needs to rely more on her own natural abilities and leave supernatural gifts to the other more fantastic races. Under these circumstances, an alternate human paragon can be used, one that allows a human to focus more on strengths that are uniquely human, without relying on outside powers. I've created this alternative human paragon for those who believe that humanity needs no magic to excel. I added a virtual bonus to CL only, as Kain suggested, and upped the BAB and HD. All other abilities remain as they were, but I think that the class stacks up nicely next to the other full BAB classes. (Although I think that Batman would use magic in D&D, because he uses anything that furthers his crusade.)

HUMAN PARAGON (Human)

Code:
[u]Lvl  BAB  Save  Save  Save  Special                       [/u][/b]
1st  +1    +2    +2    +2   Adaptive learning, skill focus
2nd  +2    +3    +3    +3   Bonus feat
3rd  +3    +3    +3    +3   Ability boost (+2)
4th  +4    +4    +4    +4   Bonus feat
5th  +5    +4    +4    +4   Ability boost (+2)[/size]
Class Skills
The human paragon can choose any 12 skills to be class skills (knowledge skills must be selected individually).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Higher Levels: 6 + Int modifier.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the human paragon.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Human paragons are proficient with all simple weapons and with light and medium armor. In addition, they are proficient with any one martial weapon of their choice. Human paragons not already proficient with all martial weapons may forgo their martial weapon proficiency and gain instead the Improved Unarmed Strike feat as a bonus feat.

Spellcasting: A human paragon gains no additional spells per day, but may add her class level to her caster level to determine the effects of her spells (regardless of the class that grants the spellcasting ability). She may likewise add her class level to her manifester level to determine the effects of her powers.

This increased caster level affects only the spells that the character can cast. It does not give her access to higher-level spells or more spells per day.

Adaptive Learning (Ex): At 1st level, a human paragon can designate any one of her selected class skills as an adaptive skill. This skill is treated as a class skill in all respects for all classes of that character, both current and future. For example, a human paragon who chooses Spot as an adaptive skill can treat Spot as a class skill for all future class levels, even if it is not normally a class skill for these classes.

Skill Focus: At 1st level, a human paragon gains a bonus Skill Focus feat. This feat must apply to her selected adaptive skill.

Bonus feat: At 2nd and 4th level, a human paragon gains a bonus feat. She must meet the prerequisites for the bonus feat normally.

Ability Boost: At 3rd level, and again at 5th level, a human paragon gains a +2 racial bonus to an ability score of her choice.

Human Prestige: A 5th-level human paragon may qualify to enter certain prestige classes even if she doesn't meet all of the prerequisites. She qualifies as though her base attack bonus were two points higher, as though she had two additional ranks in her adaptive skill, and as though she were proficient with all martial weapons and heavy armor. Popular choices for adventuring human paragons are the extreme explorer and harper scout prestige classes.

The harper scout prestige class is found in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. Information on the Extreme Explorer prestige class was released by WotC in connection with the Eberron Campaign Setting. The full class can be found in the link above, but here is an overview:

Code:
[u]Lvl  BAB  Save  Save  Save  Special                                [/u][/b]
1st  +0    +1    +1    +1   Additional action points, trap sense +1
2nd  +1    +2    +2    +2   Dodge bonus +1, evasion, extreme hustle
3rd  +2    +2    +2    +2   Bonus action feat, trap sense +2
4th  +3    +2    +2    +2   Dodge bonus +2, extreme action
5th  +3    +3    +3    +3   Bonus action feat, trap sense +3[/size]

Jaerom Darkwind

First Post
Elves, Dwarves, and Gnomes

Dwarves are a cool race; I envision them as being rather similar to Klingons in customs and culture. Dwarves were pretty good for 1st level, but to give them a little nudge I gave them tower shield proficiency. I was unsure what to give them at higher levels, so I turned to the race itself, and discovered that the issue of dwarven racial enemies hadn’t been touched, and that there were still a lot of limits on their Darkvision. So here is the dwarf paragon class, probably the least altered of all of them.

DWARF PARAGON (Dwarf)

Alignment: Any lawful.
HD: d10.

Code:
[b]          Fort  Ref   Will
[u]Lvl  BAB  Save  Save  Save  Special                                                  [/u][/b]
1st  +1    +2    +0    +2   Craft expertise, improved stonecunning, poison save bonus
2nd  +2    +3    +0    +3   Improved darkvision, save bonus
3rd  +3    +3    +1    +3   Ability boost (Str +2)
4th  +4    +4    +1    +4   Greater darkvision, racial enemy
5th  +5    +4    +1    +4   Ability boost (Con +2)
Class Skills
The dwarf paragon’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), and Survival (Wis).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Higher Levels: 2 + Int modifier.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the dwarf paragon.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Dwarf paragons are proficient with all simple and martial weapons; with light, medium, and heavy armor; and with shields, including tower shields.

Craft Expertise: A dwarf paragon adds her class level to her racial bonus on all Craft checks that are related to stone or metal items.

Improved Stonecunning (Ex): At 1st level, a dwarf paragon’s bonus to Search checks to notice unusual stonework increases to +4. She can intuit where true north lies in relation to herself (as if she had 5 ranks in Survival) whenever underground. Finally, the range at which the dwarf receives a free Search check for coming near an example of unusual stonework increases to 20 feet.

Poison Save Bonus: At 1st level, a dwarf paragon’s racial bonus on saves against poison increases by +1.

Improved Darkvision (Ex): At 2nd level, a dwarf paragon’s darkvision range increases by 30 feet.

Save Bonus: At 2nd level, a dwarf paragon’s racial bonus on saves against poison and against spells and spell-like effects increases by +1.

Ability Boost: At 3rd level, a dwarf paragon gains a +2 racial bonus to Strength. At 5th level, she increases her racial bonus to Constitution by +2.

Greater darkvision (Ex): At 4th level, a dwarf paragon’s darkvision range again increases by 30 feet, and now functions even in magical darkness effects of 2nd level or lower.

Racial Enemy: At 4th level, a dwarf paragon’s abilities to battle her racial enemies increases. She may select one of the following monster categories as a favored racial enemy: giants, humanoids (goblinoids), or humanoids (orcs). This is identical to a ranger’s favored enemy (see the Player’s Handbook). If the dwarf paragon has occasion to improve her favored enemy abilities, through feats or the ranger class, for example, she may apply these improvements to her favored racial enemy instead.

Dwarven Prestige: A 5th-level dwarf paragon may qualify to enter the Dwarven Defender prestige class even if she doesn't meet all of the prerequisites. She can ignore the following prerequisites: Iron Will, base attack bonus +7.

Elves are one of my favorite races. In my world they’re the major world power (I’ve never understood how a race so powerful has lost so much ground in other worlds), and an ECL +1 race. I look at the elf paragon, and I like what I see. 1st level, as usual, wasn’t quite enough, so I gave them a little AC boost (for the legendary elven grace, etc.). I’ve also altered the skill list a tad. According to the flavor text, elves prefer to focus on song, dance, poetry, and so forth, but they didn’t have Perform on their list. And I think that any skill for which a race receives a racial bonus belongs on the racial paragon list (Search, in this case).

At higher levels, they get even more elfsight (bringing it up to traditional expectations), and a bonus to their speed, again emphasizing their innate agility.

ELF PARAGON (Elf)

Alignment: Any chaotic.
HD: d6.
Code:
[u]Lvl  BAB  Save  Save  Save  Special                        Spells Per Day    [/u][/b]
1st  +0    +0    +2    +1   Elfsight, grace, resist        --
                              enchantments
2nd  +1    +0    +3    +2   Weapon focus                   +1 level of wizard
3rd  +2    +1    +3    +2   Ability boost (Int +2)         +1 level of wizard
4th  +3    +1    +4    +2   Fast movement, true elfsight   --
5th  +3    +1    +4    +3   Ability boost (Dex +2)         +1 level of wizard
Class Skills
The elf paragon’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Speak Language (draconic) (Int), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Higher Levels: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the elf paragon.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Elf paragons are proficient with all simple weapons, rapiers, longswords, shortbows, longbows, and with light armor and bucklers.

Spells Per Day: At 2nd, 3rd, and 5th level, an elf paragon gains new spells per day (and spells known is applicable) as if she had gained a level in wizard. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that she adds these levels of elf paragon to her levels in wizard, and then determines her known spells and spells per day accordingly. However, the elf paragon adds her entire class level to her levels in the spellcasting class to determine her caster level.

For example, a wiz4/elf3 would have the spell per day of a 6th-level wizard, but would resolve the effects of these spells as a 7th-level caster. An elf5 would have the spells per day of a 3rd-level wizard, but would cast these spells as a 5th-level caster.

If the elf paragon has no levels in wizard, she may begin gaining spellcasting ability from that class (she is considered to have a class level of 0, to which she adds these bonus levels).

An elf paragon must meet any campaign-specific prerequisites for entering and advancing in the wizard class normally.

Elfsight (Ex): At 1st level, an elf paragon’s visual acuity increases. Her racial bonus on Search and Spot checks increase to +4. In addition, the elf paragon’s low-light vision increases in range, allowing her to see three times as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination.

Grace (Ex): An elf paragon gains a +1 dodge bonus to AC when wearing light or no armor. Any time a creature loses its Dexterity bonus (if any) to Armor Class, such as when it’s caught flat-footed, it loses its dodge bonus, too.

Resist Enchantments (Ex): A 1st level elf paragon’s racial bonus on saves against enchantment spells or effects increases by +2.

Weapon Focus: At 2nd level, an elf paragon gains a bonus Weapon Focus feat. This feat must apply to the rapier, longsword, shortbow, longbow, composite shortbow, or composite longbow.

Ability Boost: At 3rd level, an elf paragon gains a +2 racial bonus to Intelligence. At 5th level, she increases her racial bonus to Dexterity by +2.

Fast Movement (Ex): At 4th level, an elf paragon’s land speed increases by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when he is wearing light or no armor, and not carrying a medium or heavy load.

True Elfsight (Ex): At 4th level, an elf paragon’s visual acuity increases again. Her racial bonus on Search and Spot checks increase to +6. Her low-light vision now allows her to see four times as far as a human in conditions of poor illumination. Also, the range at which the elf paragon receives a free Search check for coming near a secret or concealed door increases to 10 feet.

Elven Prestige: A 5th-level elf paragon may qualify to enter the Bladesinger prestige class even if she doesn't meet all of the prerequisites. She can ignore the following prerequisites: Dodge, base attack bonus +5.

Gnomes got royally shafted in 3.5, as most everyone knows. A race that was never very cohesive or popular to begin with suddenly got changed from a half-way decent favored class (Illusionist) to one of the worst classes in all of D&D (the Bard). Screw WotC. I’m not going to revise the gnomish race, because I think it still salvageable. In this paragon class I’m going to try to bring back a little of the gnomish illusionist glory. I chose bardic spellcasting because it’s pretty much the only part of their “favored class” with gnomish flavor (and I’m trying real hard to use the crap WotC has handed us for gnomes). I mostly stuck with listed paragon abilities, though I changed the levels in a few cases. At higher levels I gave them scent, to enhance their already-sensitive noses, and bonuses to mechanical skills to ease them into their (traditional) racial prestige class: Gnome Artificer.

GNOME PARAGON

Alignment: Any good.
HD: d6.
Code:
[u]Lvl  BAB  Save  Save  Save  Special                         Spells Per Day  [/u][/b]
1st  +0    +1    +1    +2   Illusion aptitude, [i]mirror image[/i] --
2nd  +1    +2    +2    +3   Keen senses, spell-like         +1 level of bard
                              abilities 3/day
3rd  +2    +2    +2    +3   Ability boost (Cha +2)          +1 level of bard
4th  +3    +2    +2    +4   Magical aptitude, scent         --
5th  +3    +3    +3    +4   Ability boost (Int +2)          +1 level of bard
Class Skills
The gnome paragon’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), and Swim (Str).

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the gnome paragon.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Gnome paragons are proficient with all simple weapons, with gnomish hooked hammers, and with light armor.

Spells Per Day: At 2nd, 3rd, and 5th level, a gnome paragon gains new spells per day (and spells known is applicable) as if she had gained a level in bard. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that she adds these levels of gnome paragon to her levels in bard, and then determines her known spells and spells per day accordingly. However, the gnome paragon adds her entire class level to her levels in the spellcasting class to determine her caster level.

For example, a brd4/gnome3 would have the spells per day of a 6th-level bard, but would resolve the effects of these spells as a 7th-level caster. A gnome5 would have the spells per day of a 3rd-level bard, but would cast these spells as a 5th-level caster.

If the gnome paragon has no levels in bard, she may begin gaining spellcasting ability from that class (she is considered to have a class level of 0, to which she adds these bonus levels).

A gnome paragon must meet any campaign-specific prerequisites for entering and advancing in the bard class normally.

Illusion Aptitude (Ex): A gnome paragon may add her class level to her caster level to determine the effects of her illusion spells (regardless of the class that grants the spellcasting ability), including those gained from the gnome race. This bonus level stacks with the extra spellcasting levels gained from the gnome paragon’s spellcasting entry (see above).

This increased caster level affects only the spells that the character can cast. It does not give her access to higher-level spells or more spells per day.

Mirror Image (Sp): At 2nd level, a gnome paragon gains the ability to cast mirror image once per day as a spell-like ability with a caster level equal to her class level.

Keen Senses (Ex): At 2nd level, a gnome paragon’s racial bonus on Craft (alchemy) and Listen checks increase by +2.

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): Beginning at 2nd level, a gnome paragon can use her racial spell-like abilities (dancing lights, ghost sound, and prestidigitation) three times per day. At 4th level, she likewise may use her mirror image ability three times per day.

Ability Boost: At 3rd level, a gnome paragon gains a +2 racial bonus to Intelligence. At 5th level, she gains a +2 racial bonus to Charisma.

Mechanical Aptitude (Ex): At 4th level, a gnome paragon gains an insight into the functions of mechanical objects. She gains a +2 racial bonus on Craft (trapmaking), Disable Device, and Open Lock checks.

Scent (Ex): At 4th level, a gnome paragon gains the scent ability.

Gnomish Prestige: A 5th-level gnome paragon may qualify to enter the Gnomish Artificer prestige class even if she doesn't meet all of the prerequisites. She can ignore the following prerequisite: 3 ranks in Craft (alchemy), 2 Ranks in Disable Device.

Last edited:

Jaerom Darkwind

First Post
Half-Elves, Half-Orcs, and Halflings

Half-elves were done much better that half-orcs, both in their race than their racial paragon. Changes in this class were minor. I decided to limit half-elven spellcasting to wizard levels, to reflect their elven side, just as half-orcs get barbarian abilities from their orc blood. At higher levels, I gave them a few more elven abilities to round things off.

HALF-ELF PARAGON (Half-elf)

Code:
[u]Lvl  BAB  Save  Save  Save  Special                        Spells Per Day    [/u][/b]
1st  +0    +0    +2    +1   Bonus feat, elven vision,      --
                              unified ancestry
2nd  +1    +0    +3    +2   persuasion                     +1 level of wizard
3rd  +2    +1    +3    +2   Ability boost (+2)             +1 level of wizard
4th  +3    +1    +4    +2   Elfsight, resist enchantment   --
5th  +3    +1    +4    +3   Ability boost (+2)             +1 level of wizard
Class Skills
The elf paragon’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the elf paragon.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Half-elf paragons are proficient with all simple weapons and with light armor.

Spells Per Day: At 2nd and 4th level, a half-elf paragon gains new spells per day (and spells known is applicable) as if she had gained a level in wizard. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that she adds these levels of half-elf paragon to her levels in wizard, and then determines her known spells and spells per day accordingly. However, the half-elf paragon adds her entire class level to her levels in the spellcasting class to determine her caster level.

For example, a wiz4/half-elf3 would have the spell per day of a 5th-level wizard, but would resolve the effects of these spells as a 7th-level caster. A half-elf5 would have the spells per day of a 2nd-level wizard, but would cast these spells as a 5th-level caster.

If the half-elf paragon has no levels in wizard, she may begin gaining spellcasting ability from that class (she is considered to have a class level of 0, to which she adds these bonus levels).

A half-elf paragon must meet any campaign-specific prerequisites for entering and advancing in the wizard class normally.

Bonus feat: At 1st level, a half-elf paragon gains a bonus feat. She must meet the feat's prerequisites normally in order to take it.

Elven Vision (Ex): At 1st level, a half-elf paragon's visual acuity improves to match that of an elf. The half-elf's racial bonus on Search and Spot checks increases to +2.

Unified Ancestry (Ex): A half-elf paragon has reconciled her elven blood with her human nature, and is no longer subject to effects that affect on humans or only elves. Thus, a 1st level half-elf paragon would not be subject to the extra damage from a humanoid (elf)-bane longsword, but would still be susceptible to a charm person spell, since it affects all humanoids regardless of race.

Persuasion (Ex): At 2nd level, a half-elf paragon gains a +2 racial bonus to all Charisma-based skills (if she already has a racial bonus to a Charisma-based skill, in increases by +2).

Ability Boost: At 3rd level, and again at 5th level, a half-elf paragon gains a +2 racial bonus to an ability score of her choice.

Elfsight (Ex): At 4th level, a half-elf paragon’s visual acuity increases. Her racial bonus on Search and Spot checks increase to +4. In addition, the half-elf paragon’s low-light vision increases in range, allowing her to see three times as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination.

Resist Enchantments (Ex): A 4th level half-elf paragon’s racial bonus on saves against enchantment spells or effects increases by +2.

Half-Elven Prestige: A 5th-level half-elf paragon may qualify to enter certain prestige classes even if she doesn't meet all of the prerequisites. She qualifies as though her base attack bonus were two points higher, as though she had two additional ranks in any Charisma-based skill, and as though she could cast spells one level higher than her highest-level spell.

Half-orcs under the core rules are all kinds of wrong. They have no racial abilities to speak of, a net deficit in ability points (I don't know who told WotC that Str is better than both Int and Cha combined, nor do I know why they believed him), and end up more like 9/10-orcs than half-orcs. A comparison to the half-elf is unfavorable in the extreme, since half-elves truly do mix human and elf equally. The only thing a half-orc gets from her human blood is watered-down ability score adjustments. On the best race-calc I've ever seen, where all core races ranked between ECL -0.1 and ECL 0.3, the half-orc was an ECL -0.7. This pretty much indicated that a half-orc one level higher than the rest of the party would be balanced. 3.5, which fixed problems with many of the other races, neglected half-orcs completely. So before I could write up a half-orc paragon, I needed to fix the race itself. I used the half-elf for inspiration, added some racial abilities from their orc heritage, and came out with this:

HALF-ORCS
- +2 Strength, -2 Intelligence. A half-orc's Intelligence is always at least 3. If this adjustment would lower the character's score to 1 or 2, her score is nevertheless 3.
- Medium: As Medium creatures, half-orcs have no special bonuses or penalties due to size.
- Half-orc land speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision: Half-orcs can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and half-orcs can function just fine with no light at all.
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting spells and effects.
- +1 racial bonus on Craft (alchemy) and Listen checks.
- +1 racial bonus on Intimidate checks.
- +2 racial bonus on Handle Animal and Survival checks.
- Orc Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-orc is considered an orc.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Orc. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic).
- Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass half-orc takes an experience point penalty, her highest level class does not count.

Once I had the race complete, I began work on the class. The half-orc paragon seemed to follow the same general pattern as the race itself: 9/10-orc grunt. So while I have used a few of its abilities, my final product is based once again on the half-elf paragon. In both cases, I scrapped the Divided Ancestry feature, since it flatly contradicts the flavor text (which says that they've reconciled both of their halves, not that they have to choose one to emphasize).

HALF-ORC PARAGON (Half-orc)

Code:
[u]Lvl  BAB  Save  Save  Save  Special                                 [/u][/b]
1st  +1   +2   +0   +1   Bonus feat, orcish senses, unified ancestry
2nd  +2   +3   +0   +2   Rage 1/day, wilderness lore
3rd  +3   +3   +1   +2   Ability boost (+2)
4th  +4   +4   +1   +2   Natural armor bonus, scent
5th  +5   +4   +1   +3   Ability boost (+2)
Class Skills
The half-orc paragon’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the half-orc paragon.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Half-orc paragons are proficient with all simple and martial weapons; with light and medium armor; and with shields (except tower shields).

Bonus feat: At 1st level, a half-orc paragon gains a bonus feat. She must meet the feat's prerequisites normally in order to take it.

Orcish Senses (Ex): At 1st level, a half-orc paragon's senses sharpen to match those of an orc. Her racial bonus on Craft (alchemy) and Listen checks increases to +2.

Unified Ancestry (Ex): A half-orc paragon has reconciled her orc blood with her human nature, and is no longer subject to effects that affect only humans or only orcs. Thus a 1st level half-orc paragon would not be subject to the extra damage from a humanoid (orc)-bane longsword, but would still be susceptible to a charm person spell, since it affects all humanoids regardless of race.

Rage (Ex): At 2nd level, a half-orc paragon learns to harness the natural ferocity that courses through her blood, and gains the ability to fly into a fiery battle rage once per day. This is identical to a barbarian's rage (see the Player's Handbook). If the half-orc paragon has improved rage abilities (such as the barbarian's class features of greater rage, tireless rage, indomitable will, or mighty rage), these improvements apply to the rage ability granted by the half-orc paragon class as well.

Wilderness Lore (Ex): At 2nd level, a half-orc's racial bonus on Handle Animal and Survival checks increases to +4. In addition, she gains a +2 racial bonus on Heal and Ride checks.

Ability Boost: At 3rd level, and again at 5th level, a half-orc paragon gains a +2 racial bonus to an ability score of her choice.

Natural Armor Bonus: At 4th level, a half-orc paragon's natural armor bonus increases by +1. If half-orc does not already have a natural armor bonus, she is considered to have an initial natural armor bonus on +0 for the purpose of this ability, and would thus gain a natural armor bonus of +1.

Scent (Ex): At 4th level, a half-orc paragon's senses sharpen, and she gains the scent ability.

Half-Orc Prestige: A 5th-level half-orc paragon may qualify for certain prestige classes even if she doesn't meet all of the prerequisites. She qualifies as though her base attack bonus were two points higher; as though she had two additional ranks in Handle animal, Intimidate, Listen, or Survival; and as though she could rage one additional time per day.

Halflings. Okay, no one really likes them that much, but for completeness… The Halfling didn’t suffer from any serious flaws (a pity that the only race they did very well is among the least used). The first level was good, it scaled nicely, etc. I wasn’t sure what to give at 5th level, since the Halfling “archetype” (if we can imagine such as thing) is fairly limited. I dumped Dex at 3rd and moved it to 5th, and then I added Cha at 3rd (since it was really the only other ability score I could see raising).

HALFLING PARAGON (Halfling)

Code:
[u]Lvl  BAB  Save  Save  Save  Special                     [/u][/b]
1st  +0    +1    +2    +0   Athletic prowess, save bonus
2nd  +1    +2    +3    +0   Thrown weapon mastery
3rd  +2    +2    +3    +1   Ability boost (Cha +2)
4th  +3    +2    +4    +1   Fast movement, fearless
5th  +3    +3    +4    +1   Ability boost (Dex +2)
Class Skills
The halfling paragon’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Slight of Hand (Dex), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the halfling paragon.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Halfling paragons are proficient with all simple weapons, with Halfling skiprocks, and with light armor.

Athletic Prowess(Ex): At 1st level, a halfling paragon’s racial bonus to Climb, Jump, and Move Silently increases to +4.

Save bonus: A 1st-level halfling paragon’s racial bonus on all saving throws increases by +1.

Thrown Weapon Mastery (Ex): At 2nd level, a halfling paragon gains a +2 bonus to attacks and damage with thrown weapons and slings.

Ability Boost: At 3rd level, a halfling paragon gains a +2 racial bonus to Charisma. At 5th level, a halfling paragon’s racial bonus to Dexterity increases by +2.

Fast Movement (Ex): At 4th level, a halfling paragon’s land speed increases by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when she is wearing light or no armor, and not carrying a medium or heavy load.

Fearless (Ex): At 4th level, a halfling paragon gains immunity to fear (magical or otherwise).

Halfling Prestige: [Forthcoming]

Last edited:

Jaerom Darkwind

First Post
Orcs, Aasimar, and Teiflings

After creating a revised Half-Orc race, the question came up of “why is the half-orc way better than the orc?” Thus reminding me that the orc race, though not a “PC” race, is pitifully underpowered as well. Since I was never really satisfied with the half-orc paragon I created, I decided to rewrite the orc stuff, to give me a better idea of there to take the half-breed. In redoing the orc race, I decided to change the image of orcs somewhat. I tried to make the race more respectable. The D&D orc is based on the Lord of the Rings orc—a wannabe elf that’s far weaker and, well, pretty pathetic. I moved the racial identity more towards the orcs of Warcraft—making it a wild yet noble race, mighty in battle and closer to the natural world.

ORCS
- +4 Strength, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma. An orc's Intelligence is always at least 3. If this adjustment would lower the character's score to 1 or 2, her score is nevertheless 3.
- Medium: As Medium creatures, orcs have no special bonuses or penalties due to size.
- Orc land speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision: Orcs can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and orcs can function just fine with no light at all.
- Light Sensitivity: Orcs are dazzled in bright sunlight and within the radius of a daylight spell.
- Weapon Familiarity: Orcs may treat battleaxes as simple weapons, rather than martial weapons; and orcish double-axes as martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons.
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting spells and effects.
- +1 natural armor bonus to Armor Class.
- +2 racial bonus on Craft (alchemy) and Listen checks.
- +2 racial bonus on Intimidate checks.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Orc. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Giant, Gnoll, Goblin, and Undercommon.
- Favored Class: Barbarian. A multiclass orc’s barbarian class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Okay, with the race completed, it was time to make the racial paragon. I pretty much made this one from scratch, since no orc racial paragon was 100% appropriate as a basis for this race. I added some of the abilities originally given to half-orcs, as well as several new ones. I based this class very loosely on the Elf Paragon, and then redid the Half-Orc Paragon based on its Half-Elven counterpart.

ORC PARAGON (Orc)

Alignment: Any evil.
HD: d12.
Code:
[u]Lvl  BAB  Save  Save  Save  Special                                     [/u][/b]
1st  +1    +2    +0    +1   Daylight adaptation, keen senses, rage 1/day
2nd  +2    +3    +0    +2   Natural armor bonus, scent
3rd  +3    +3    +1    +2   Ability boost (Con +2)
4th  +4    +4    +1    +2   Improved darkvision, weapon focus
5th  +5    +4    +1    +3   Ability boost (Str +2)
Class Skills
The orc paragon’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (military tactics) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the orc paragon.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Orc paragons are proficient with all simple and martial weapons; with light, medium, and heavy armor; and with shields (except tower shields).

Daylight Adaptation (Ex): At 1st level, an orc paragon is no longer dazzled in bright sunlight or the radius of a daylight spell.

Keen Senses (Ex): At 1st level, an orc paragon’s racial bonus on Craft (alchemy) and Listen checks increase by +2.

Rage (Ex): Once per day, an orc paragon can unleash her natural ferocity in the form of a battle frenzy. This is identical to a barbarian's rage (see the Player's Handbook). If the orc paragon has improved rage abilities (such as the barbarian's class features of greater rage, tireless rage, indomitable will, or mighty rage), these improvements apply to the rage ability granted by the orc paragon class as well.

Natural Armor Bonus: At 2nd level, an orc paragon's natural armor bonus increases by +1.

Scent (Ex): At 2nd level, an orc paragon's senses sharpen, and she gains the scent ability.

Ability boost: At 3rd level, an orc paragon in gains a racial bonus +2 to Constitution. At 5th level, an orc paragon increases her racial bonus to Strength by +2.

Improved Darkvision (Ex): At 4th level, an orc paragon’s darkvision range increases by 30 feet.

Weapon Focus: At 4th level, an orc paragon gains a bonus Weapon Focus feat. This feat must apply to the battleaxe, greataxe, or orcish double-axe.

Orc Prestige: A 5th-level orc paragon may qualify to enter the Eye of Gruumsh prestige class even if she doesn't meet all of the prerequisites. She can ignore the following prerequisite: base attack bonus +6. Orc paragons also tend to favor the Orc Warlord prestige class.

Aasimar paragons were not included in Unearthed Arcana. Andy Collins stated that there wasn't enough space for all of the popular races, and they wanted to include paragons that could be villains as well. So Teifling was in, and Aasimar was out. I love Aasimar (Aasimars?), mostly because I love paladins. So an Aasimar Paragon class was essential. Andy Collins has made several recommendations for the Aasimar Paragon by way of apology for the oversight, and I based this version on those ideas. He also stated that ECL races deserve more powerful paragons than normal races. Noted.

AASIMAR PARAGON (Aasimar)

Alignment: Any good.
Code:
[u]Lvl  BAB  Save  Save  Save  Special                                  [/u][/b]
1st  +1    +2    +2    +2   Improved resistance
2nd  +2    +3    +3    +3   [i]Daylight[/i] 3/day, skill bonus
3rd  +3    +3    +3    +3   Ability boost (Cha +2)
4th  +4    +4    +4    +4   Improved resistances, improved darkvision
5th  +5    +4    +4    +4   Ability boost (Wis +2)
Class Skills
The aasimar paragon’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Jump (Str), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features[/b]
All of the following are class features of the aasimar paragon.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Aasimar paragons are proficient with all simple and martial weapons; and with light, medium, and heavy armor.

Improved Resistance (Ex): At 1st level, one of an aasimar paragon’s natural resistances to energy (acid, cold, or electricity) increases by 5. At 4th level, her other two resistances increase likewise.

Daylight (Sp): At 2nd level, an aasimar paragon can use her daylight spell-like ability three times per day.

Ability Boost: At 3rd level, an aasimar paragon increases her racial bonus to Charisma by +2. At 5th level, she increases her racial bonus to Wisdom likewise.

Improved Darkvision (Ex): At 4th level, an aasimar paragon’s darkvision range increases by 30 feet.

Aasimar Prestige: [To be determined]

For more fun with Aasimar, check out the Aasimar Racial Class, which allows you to begin play as an aasimar at level 1 (or better yet, an aasimar paragon at level 1), and the Aasimar/Half-Celestial Transition Class, where an Aasimar can transform into a full half-celestial. Yes, you can get to level 8 without entering a real class, as a pure aasimar!

(See the Aasimar for the rhyme and reason).

TEIFLING PARAGON (Teifling)

Alignment: Any evil.
Code:
[u]Lvl  BAB  Save  Save  Save  Special                                  [/u][/b]
1st  +1    +2    +2    +2   Improved resistance
2nd  +2    +3    +3    +3   [i]Darkness[/i] 3/day, skill bonus
3rd  +3    +3    +3    +3   Ability boost (Dex +2)
4th  +4    +4    +4    +4   Improved resistances, improved darkvision
5th  +5    +4    +4    +4   Ability boost (Int +2)
Class Skills
The teifling paragon’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Disguise (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features[/b]
All of the following are class features of the teifling paragon.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Teifling paragons are proficient with all simple weapons and light armor.

Improved Resistance (Ex): At 1st level, one of a teifling paragon’s natural resistances to energy (cold, fire, or electricity) increases by 5. At 4th level, her other two resistances increase likewise.

Darkness (Sp): At 2nd level, a teifling paragon can use her darkness spell-like ability three times per day.

Ability Boost: At 3rd level, a teifling paragon increases her racial bonus to Dexterity by +2. At 5th level, she increases her racial bonus to Intelligence likewise.

Improved Darkvision (Ex): At 4th level, a teifling paragon’s darkvision range increases by 30 feet.

Teifling Prestige: [To be determined]

Last edited:

Ogrebear

Explorer
Orc Paragons

Very interesting work, lots of detail.

I am particually impressed with your take on Orcs and Half-Orcs, I feel your version matches more what I want from Orcs (aka Warcraft/Earthdawn) than the offical one (LotR).

Well done and good work.

mercucio

First Post
Nice work, I did something similar for my campaign except I made the racial paragon classes with 6 levels (essentially level 4 = 1, 5 = 2, and 6 = 3). I like the changes you've done better than mine, but I would definitely suggest increasing them to 6 levels instead of 5.

snarfoogle

First Post
Jaerom Darkwind said:
On the best race-calc I've ever seen, where all core races ranked between ECL -0.1 and ECL 0.3, the half-orc was an ECL -0.7

Might I see this race calc? Does it include non-core races?

Remove ads