• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rich Baker confirms new look of Gnomes

Honestly, I think it's hard to avoid looking Halfling-esque if you're short and wearing anything other than armor or robes.

The Halflings have pretty much nailed down the 'Casual PC' look.

But the new halflings seem more professional. So maybe the Gnomes will kill the grungy halflings and take their stuff.

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
Klaus said:
So I took 30 minutes to whip up a portrayal of the 4e gnome:

449476b0c35f26e1.jpg

Might give everyone a better basis for analysis than the cartoony version.

Hmmm, so gnomes are fey-touched halflings in 4E? Kickass picture, by the way. You sure you didn't get an invitation from WotC by now? :cool:

Last edited:

erf_beto

First Post
Well, I just have to say that's a very nice picture, Klaus!
You made me start considering playing a gnome for the first time ever.
Thank you. :)

Simia Saturnalia

First Post
I got enough of the image of new gnomes (ngnomes?) from the cartoon, but Klaus has really remolded it to a believable MM illustration there. Gnomes get shuffled out of the "don't mind us, having a little Renaissance in the middle of your Dark Ages" feel I wound up sticking them with before and into "cool encounter beasty".

And let me say this: If you're ever primary artist for a campaign setting, Klaus, I'm buying it and using it. Every time you put some more art in these threads I find myself thinking "Yeah, that's about exactly how my D&D looks in my head". Though truth be told, I'd also absolutely -jump- at a full-color 4e GM's screen covered in your work too. :D

Klaus

First Post
Simia Saturnalia said:
I got enough of the image of new gnomes (ngnomes?) from the cartoon, but Klaus has really remolded it to a believable MM illustration there. Gnomes get shuffled out of the "don't mind us, having a little Renaissance in the middle of your Dark Ages" feel I wound up sticking them with before and into "cool encounter beasty".

And let me say this: If you're ever primary artist for a campaign setting, Klaus, I'm buying it and using it. Every time you put some more art in these threads I find myself thinking "Yeah, that's about exactly how my D&D looks in my head". Though truth be told, I'd also absolutely -jump- at a full-color 4e GM's screen covered in your work too. :D
Thanks, y'all!

And remember: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/contact .

infax

First Post
erf_beto said:
Well, I just have to say that's a very nice picture, Klaus!
You made me start considering playing a gnome for the first time ever.
Thank you. :)

This was the first image that made me say "Wow! Gnomes can be cool!" :cool:

Nellisir

Hero
Klaus said:
So I took 30 minutes to whip up a portrayal of the 4e gnome: Might give everyone a better basis for analysis than the cartoony version.

It's a great picture, but...they make the 4e gnome distinctive by making it look just like a (tallfellow) halfling? You've even got him in bare feet!

It doesn't work as a gnome for me.

Simia Saturnalia

First Post
Nellisir said:
It's a great picture, but...they make the 4e gnome distinctive by making it look just like a (tallfellow) halfling? You've even got him in bare feet!

It doesn't work as a gnome for me.
Tallfellows have a greenish cast to their skin and pure black eyes? Looks like gnomes slid much closer to their fey roots to me. YMMV, I suppose, but ain't no halfling.

Nellisir

Hero
Green Knight said:
Check out the video. The Gnome's barefooted in that, too.
I know. I debated between "you" and "they", but decided since it was Klaus's picture, I'd talk to him.

Simia Saturnalia said:
Tallfellows have a greenish cast to their skin and pure black eyes? Looks like gnomes slid much closer to their fey roots to me. YMMV, I suppose, but ain't no halfling.
It's more about body type than skin color. My halflings weren't dark-skinned and braided either, but suddenly that's how WotC is drawing them. In any edition but this, lean, wide-eyed, clean-shaven, and barefoot does not conjure up the image of a gnome.

Remove ads