• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rich Baker confirms new look of Gnomes

mhensley

First Post
Hmm... me thinks wotc dropped the ball on this. They made halflings look like crap but kept them as a pc race, but made gnomes fun and removed them. I think I'll have to replace halflings with gnomes in my campaign now. Or maybe I'll just replace both of them with kobolds.

The_Gneech

Explorer
Klaus said:
So I took 30 minutes to whip up a portrayal of the 4e gnome:

449476b0c35f26e1.jpg

Might give everyone a better basis for analysis than the cartoony version.

Wait ... so ... gnomes are halflings with some kind of skin-discoloring syndrome?

So who are the little guys with hay-bale beards and pointy hats now? Kobolds?

-The Gneech :cool:

PS: Not trying to pick on you, Klaus. :) You're awesome. I just wish that some of these changes reflected myth and tradition, rather than just gamers stewing in their own juices. :(

Last edited:

mhensley

First Post
The_Gneech said:
Wait ... so ... gnomes are halflings with some kind of skin-discoloring syndrome?

So who are the little guys with hay-bale beards and pointy hats now? Kobolds?

PS: Not trying to pick on you, Klaus. :) You're awesome. I just wish that some of these changes reflected myth and tradition, rather than just gamers stewing in their own juices. :(

Ironically, kobolds are not small lizard-people in mythology, yet nobody complains about that.

The_Gneech

Explorer
mhensley said:
Ironically, kobolds are not small lizard-people in mythology, yet nobody complains about that.

Unlike gnomes (and dwarves, elves, dragons, etc.), I've never encountered kobolds outside of D&D or its derivatives ... could you provide more info?

mhensley

First Post
The_Gneech said:
Unlike gnomes (and dwarves, elves, dragons, etc.), I've never encountered kobolds outside of D&D or its derivatives ... could you provide more info?

In mythology, kobolds are very similar to gnomes or brownies.

The most common version, Heinzelmännchen, is similar to Robin Goodfellow and brownies: as household elves of ambivalent nature, they sometimes perform domestic chores, but play malicious tricks if not appeased (Hinzelmann is a particular example).

Kobold is often used in German to translate the word 'Leprechaun', a type of Irish fairy goblin.

Another type of kobold, more similar to the gnome, haunts mines and other underground places.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobold

Pbartender

First Post
Perhaps think about it this way:

4E Elves and Eladrin are to Elves by Tolkien what 4E Gnomes are to Elves by the Brothers Grimm and other Germanic folklore.

That I can deal with.

Remove ads