• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Richard Garfield vs. Gary Gygax

T. Foster

First Post
JonnyReb said:
Lorraine is the former Mrs Gygax... 'nuff said?

Not true. For the whole sad story of how Lorraine Williams gained control of TSR check the very extensive Gygax interview in OD&DITIES Issue #10. Of course since this is Gygax's telling there's some understandable bias, but it's still by far the most detailed account of the 'behind the scenes' drama at TSR that I know of.

tburdett

Explorer
sparxmith said:
In the mean time, from what I've gathered, he nearly ran TSR into the ground and nearly destroyed the game by allowing it to waste away. Were it not for the extremely devoted fans, the game would have gone under long ago.
You libel the man by stating the above and then wonder why people respond in an unpleasant manner? There's a website called Google. You can do a ton of fact finding in next to no time. Try it before you libel someone next time. Yeah, this is unpleasant, so is libel.

Tiew

First Post
Hey Sparxmith, one thing I've found I have to watch out for with email, message board posts, and such things is that people can't hear my tone of voice. You might have been thinking those words with a puzzled and inquisitive tone of voice and a reader might have read them with an aggressive and arrogant tone of voice. Makes a big difference. :) (That's why smilies are useful)

And btw, thanks for the answers people. I've come into the hobby recently and I find it interesting to read about its history.

Take it easy.

marketingman

Explorer
Depends are we talking bareknuckle boxing or just good Ole Gladiator style?

Bare knuckles I go with Richard but in the arena Gary would get rIchard quicker then you can say Sparticus.

derverdammte

Explorer
sparxmith said:
As for stating that I should lurk more, that is rude! Where's an admin when you need one? I asked a very simple question and proceeded to explain why I had to ask. It's lurking that has kept me in the dark so long. So go ride a erinyes to her home!
I think "lurk more" is a legitimate reply when the answers to all your questions can be found by paying attention to the message boards. These sorts of topics come up every now and then, and I think that posting a thread badmouthing Gary Gygax is much more offensive than telling an obvious newbie who can't be bothered to to a google search on TSR or Gary Gygax (protip: http://www.google.com/search?q=TSR+Gary+Gygax <-- click here [edit: beaten above]) that he should probably lurk more.

Last edited:

Impeesa

Explorer
Helspar said:
Gygax vs Garfield? You mean we're talking The Gary Gygax vs who? Someone who plays Magic? Gary is at least a name level EHP, I sure he'd win hands down against some minor card player. :p

I mean have you not lost a character in the Tomb of Horrors?

:D

Someone who plays Magic? Some minor card player? You're talking about a man with a PhD in combinatorial mathematics, who created the framework for a game that is likely the most complex ever created, yet still playable by a total beginner. ;)

--Impeesa--

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Olive said:
Dude. It's a gygax 'big-upping' thread. The man asked a question, people (mostly) gently corrected him and then he thanked people for pointing out that he got it wrong and explaining to him what actually happened.

I'm guessing you didn't read the thread past post one or maybe two right?

I read it all.

It's not just this thread, there's been a half a dozen or more bashing the man. Go check the first 2 pages of general discussion out.

And then he compares him to the creator of some kid's card game? C'mon, I bet no one knows who created Rummy either.

tarchon

First Post
Whatever you think of his business acumen - and personally I think he did a pretty good job getting TSR off the ground even if did get rocky later - he did co-invent the game. I certainly would question whether there would be such a thing as RPGs at all if it hadn't been for EGG. His influence is all over the hobby, from Ars Magica to Vampire: the Masquerade. Adulation may be a little much, but it's certainly an achievement worthy of respect.

Glyfair

Explorer
JRRNeiklot said:
I read it all.

It's not just this thread, there's been a half a dozen or more bashing the man. Go check the first 2 pages of general discussion out.

And then he compares him to the creator of some kid's card game? C'mon, I bet no one knows who created Rummy either.

Some kid's card game? I think a good case could be made for MtG being as influential in gaming as D&D has been. It spawned many imitators and easily has been the most successful and longest lasting game in that genre. Indeed, you can trace the current trend of collectible miniature games to MtG's success.

However, Gary was the face of D&D for a long time during the infancy & early childhood of the game. You could open just about any issue of The Dragon and see at least one article with his comments on the game or the gaming community.

On the other hand, Richard Garfield never really had this connection with the MtG community. While I haven't played it since around Ice Age, I had very little connection with him. I read the story of how he designed the game and I believe I saw a deck he designed as a special promotional item. That's about all I saw of his connection of the game. I'm sure he did other things (especially on the convention circuit). However, he just wasn't the driving force behind the game that Gary was.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads