Ridding D&D of All Races - Multiple Choice Poll

What races should we get rid of, for REASONS? (May choose more than one)

• Dragonborn

Votes: 67 40.4%
  • Dwarf

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Elf

Votes: 14 8.4%
  • Gnome

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • Half-Elf

Votes: 34 20.5%
  • Half-Orc

Votes: 34 20.5%
  • Halfling

Votes: 25 15.1%
  • Human

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • Tiefling

Votes: 60 36.1%
  • Monstrous Races (Orc, Goblin, etc.)

Votes: 51 30.7%
  • Any optional race not listed above

Votes: 47 28.3%
  • Other - I will explain in the comments

Votes: 15 9.0%
  • I like the exact number of races we have.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • We shouldn't eliminate races- WE SHOULD ADD MORE!

Votes: 48 28.9%
  • Are we not men? WE ARE DEVO!

Votes: 21 12.7%

• Poll closed .

Oofta

Legend
I once had someone who wanted to play half-dragon half-vampire. The concept probably had lycanthropy as well, I honestly don't remember. I'm not a big fan of anything goes.

I also have a bit of an issue with a world being populated by dozens of intelligent races. It's one thing to have a Star Wars cantina scene in space fantasy, where you have any number of habitable worlds. But how big is your campaign's world that it can support dozens of unique intelligent species?

The other reason I limit is simply because I like consistency in my campaign world. Some things may change, but drow are always going to be the evil bogey-man and would probably be killed on site in most places. There might be places above ground that would accept them, but even in my hobgoblin-run empire they wouldn't have much of a chance. Just because two species are evil doesn't mean they get along.

That and I just don't want to have to deal with that guy that wants to play a teenage ninja mutant tortle. ;)

Tabaxi
Aarakocra

and finally:

I also have a bit of an issue with a world being populated by dozens of intelligent races. It's one thing to have a Star Wars cantina scene in space fantasy, where you have any number of habitable worlds.

Gnome: the Jar Jar Binks of the D&D Universe

Draegn

Explorer
Let anybody play any race, but eliminate all rule mechanics related to races.

In a way this is what I have done for my world. For the "light" side there are dwarfs, elves, faeries, gnomes, halflings and humans. For the "dark" side there are bugbears, giants (GoT style), goblins, hobgoblins, ogres, orcs and trolls.

Any subtypes are based on a nonracial idea. For example, light elves worship the stars as they were the first things they saw when awakening on earth, grey elves worship spirits of the land, sky and water, dark elves worship whoever gives them power. Yet all elves still look the same.

Each race has ten characteristics which have four levels to choose from. A player may have up to a total of four levels of characteristics. Four at level one, one at level four, or any combination inbetween. This was my way to limit something always being the same.

The one "special" race if you will are the faeries, players have extra choices to make, choosing size, small, medium, large, or huge, having wings or not, seelie or unseelie court, trooping or solitary. In this way a player can be anything from a pixie to an Ent based on their chosen characteristics.

I allow multiracial characters. A player can choose between the characteristics, with the four level limit. The lowest level can be halved, beyond that the characteristic is too diluted. So far my players have only created half elf/human and a half goblin/human.

I do have a racial preference list as mentioned above. Have small races physically weaker, large and huge stronger than medium. Have differences between male and female characters.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
I'm not a fan of the monstrous races (orcs, goblins, kobolds, etc nearly all the stuff in volos, all the crap you always see someone trying to make a PC out of - vampires, lycanthropes, etc etc etc), drow, & durerar as PC options. My view is that monsters are what your fighting against, looting, & getting your xp from.
If you have an idea for one of these? Sure, ask me. But be aware that I'm almost certain to say no. Because I don't run games where those would generally fit as options.

I could also easily live without dragonborn, tieflings, warforged, genesai, shifters, traditionally non-evil "monstrous" races (tritons etc). Again, ask. You're odds are better than the previous category though....

Humans, elves, dwarves, 1/2lings, gnomes, 1/2elves, & 1/2orcs - no problem, though depending upon where on the map the campaigns occurring some of those are more/less common. So take that into account. For ex; In the upcoming campaign true elves have largely abandoned the region several hundred years ago.

I think having the option is nice. I would imagine that a number of homebrew campaign settings use certain monstrous races as good or neutral aligned playable races. In that sense, having the mechanics already in place is a pleasant convenience.

But in a Forgotten Realms game? Yeeeaahhhh, no Vampire PCs my dude.

Remove ads