• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ride By and Spirited Charge at same time?

Anthraxus

Explorer
Pardon me if this has already been asked, but it has come up twice now, with two different occasions.

In one game, we had a Halfling Outrider doing a Ride By Attack with a Spirited Charge. Another player said "You can't do that, you can only Ride By or Spirited Charge, not both. You can't do 2 charge actions."

3 people at the table(inlcluding myself) said that you could, because both feats say "When you are mounted and use the charge action" , but the other two argued that it would take two charge actions(?) to use both feats.

We argued the point that you should be able to use both feats together, like Power attack and Cleave, etc... and both sides left the table thinking they were right. :p

At a game last night, a different person thought the Ride By and Spirited Charge couldn't be used together.

It seems to me that they should be- seems natural, in fact. Could I be wrong though? :confused:

The relevent Feats from the SRD:
RIDE-BY ATTACK [GENERAL]
Prerequisites: Ride 1 rank, Mounted Combat.

Benefit: When you are mounted and use the charge action, you may move and attack as if with a standard charge and then move again (continuing the straight line of the charge). Your total movement for the round can’t exceed double your mounted speed. You and your mount do not provoke an attack of opportunity from the opponent that you attack.

Special: A fighter may select Ride-By Attack as one of his fighter bonus feats.

SPIRITED CHARGE [GENERAL]
Prerequisites: Ride 1 rank, Mounted Combat, Ride-By Attack.

Benefit: When mounted and using the charge action, you deal double damage with a melee weapon (or triple damage with a lance).

Special: A fighter may select Spirited Charge as one of his fighter bonus feats.

-A

DanMcS

Explorer
Anthraxus said:
Pardon me if this has already been asked, but it has come up twice now, with two different occasions.

In one game, we had a Halfling Outrider doing a Ride By Attack with a Spirited Charge. Another player said "You can't do that, you can only Ride By or Spirited Charge, not both. You can't do 2 charge actions."

3 people at the table(inlcluding myself) said that you could, because both feats say "When you are mounted and use the charge action" , but the other two argued that it would take two charge actions(?) to use both feats.

You are right. The condition is met (being used in a charge), so any feats that rely on that condition can be used.

Henrix

Explorer
Certainly you can use them both at once!

Spirited Charge does not require a separate action. Anytime you charge you get it's benefit (while mounted, of course).

Rashak Mani

First Post
Its pretty rare to be able to charge... and they want to make one of the feats useless ? nah...

Both can be used... it compensates the fact that you're not going to do a full round combat in higher levels.

SableWyvern

Adventurer
Another "me too" may not be necessary, but since it seems this is a contentious issue in your group, you could do with all the support you can get.

Just look at the rules: both say "when mounted and using the charge action", or words to that precise effect. Anyone who wishes to argue that they cannot both be used when making a charge would need to find some clause or exception to prove their point. Otherwise, the RAW are quite clear.

Feats and abilities that are actions in their own right specify in their description "using X is a full round action" or somesuch. Neither of these feats mention this, so the argument that they require multiple actions is based on absolutely nothing.

Both feats enhance a charge. They are applied when taking a charge action, along with a +2 to hit and a -2 to AC.

BSF

Explorer
This is silly. Of course you can do a ride-by and a spirited charge at the same time. Neither feat is replacing an action, both enhance an action.

By the contended point of view, you can't use weapon focus and weapon specialization at the same time. Much less stacking either of those with power attack, cleave, great cleave, spring attack, whirlwind attack, two-weapon fighting, the improved versions of all the above, etc.

Is it powerful to get a ride-by spirited charge off? Heck yeah. It is also two feats devoted to that trick.

Anthraxus

Explorer
Thanks for the replies. Apparently, I am NOT crazy for thinking you can use both. :D

I was just thrown for a bit when a second person -in a totally different group and game- thought the feats couldn't be used together...

Rule seems pretty clear.

-A

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads