• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Riding an invisible mount?

Benimoto

First Post
What would be the logical consequences of riding an invisible mount? I can't really find anything specific in the rules addressing it. Would applying the -4 to the check, as if the character was blind making a dex-based check be fair?

What if the invisible mount was a long-term type of thing? Would a penalty be fair in that case, or would the character learn to adapt?

mvincent

Explorer
Benimoto said:
What would be the logical consequences of riding an invisible mount? I can't really find anything specific in the rules addressing it. Would applying the -4 to the check, as if the character was blind making a dex-based check be fair?
I personally would not impose a penalty for someone riding an invisible mount, but if someone really wanted to then I suppose the standard -2 'DM's option' situational modifier would be good enough (and technically supported by RAW).

starwed

First Post
I'm guessing that someone with actual training doesn't ever actually look at their mount while riding.

My vote is no penalty at all, at least for someone with ranks in Ride. But someone who has actually ridden a horse should weigh in on this.

Nefrast

First Post
starwed said:
I'm guessing that someone with actual training doesn't ever actually look at their mount while riding.

My vote is no penalty at all, at least for someone with ranks in Ride. But someone who has actually ridden a horse should weigh in on this.
But I suppose not seeing your mount can be a very unfamiliar and disturbing experience. In the case of a trained rider I too would apply the -2 penalty. If the rider got accustomed to riding invisible mounts I would apply no penalty.

Oh, and I forgot, there may be situations where one has to do ride checks where it is really a disadvantage to no be able to see your mount. For example fast mount (you don't see exactly where it stands, where the sattle and briddle is, etc.) or trying a soft fall when the mount gets killed or falls.

Last edited:

Len

Prodigal Member
You don't watch your horse when you're riding, you watch where you're going.

Do you penalize your players' attack rolls when they're under an invisibility spell? or their balance, climb or tumble checks? No? Then there shouldn't be a penalty for riding an invisible mount.

Kmart Kommando

First Post
My last horseback ride was in Australia in a dry summer throught dusty terrain, and I was wearing contact lenses. :p
You definitely don't need to see your mount to ride, as I could barely see anything half the time. Though I found out that it is possible to use rewetting drops while on horseback, I wouldn't recommend it. ;)

Added bonus: The redhead girl leading the group was hot. :D

Notmousse

First Post
You may have more trouble with any handle animal checks than ride checks. I mean really, how would you know which end you were grooming?

I've had a similar experience with an animal I *could* see, but was curled up so tightly it's head and tail were tucked away.

TheGogmagog

First Post
mvincent said:
I personally would not impose a penalty for someone riding an invisible mount, but if someone really wanted to then I suppose the standard -2 'DM's option' situational modifier would be good enough (and technically supported by RAW).
I would vote for the -2 situational. While you don't look at your mount for overland movement, you would while getting off or trying to spur it to do something, controlling it in battle.... ie all the things that actually require checks.

I wouldn't get rid of the -2 either, if you have ranks then the -2 isn't going to affect much. As far as long term practice of riding an invisible mount, I'd be looking into permanancy on see invisible.

Kmart Kommando

First Post
If you're controlling your mount with your knees, so you can use a weapon and shield for example, chances are you don't even have time to look at your mount.

For something like a quick mount, I can see having a penalty...which end am I facing?
Other than that, not so much.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads