Riding The Lightning

Mr.Satan

First Post
How would one replicated Highlander Immortals using the Immortal's Handbook?

How would one replicate the effects of "the quickening" in all it's lightning filled blastyness?

How would one account for the weird abilities their weapons sometimes had?

How would one replicate "the dark quickening"?

Finally, how does one calculate the save DC of a new weapon special ability? Currently I'm using "10 + 1/2 Caster Level + enhancement bonus" since they're supernatural abilities.

Last edited:

Hey Mr.Satan! :)

Mr.Satan said:
How would one replicated Highlander Immortals using the Immortal's Handbook?

I thought I built in the rules for Highlander-esque play with the whole 'Power' style of Quintessence gaining.

How would one replicate the effects of "the quickening" in all it's lightning filled blastyness?

I suppose the transferrence could deal 1d20 damage per divine rank covering an area of 5 feet per Divine Rank...?

How would one account for the weird abilities their weapons sometimes had?

Not sure about that. :-S

Finally, how does one calculate the save DC of a new weapon special ability? Currently I'm using "10 + 1/2 Caster Level + enhancement bonus" since they're supernatural abilities.

Interesting...why would you need these seperated from the magic item save DC's? Are you incorporating attacks that can strip a weapon of individual powers?

Mr.Satan

First Post
What effect does the transference have on the environment?

Do creatures in the area mutate at all?

Does the deity fragment into avatars or aspects?

Are tieflings and half-fiends and such spawned if the deity is evil?

Does it effect the weather?

Do clerics suddenly lose all their powers?

Does the corpse immediate go to the Astral Plane, or does it linger for a while and contaminate the environment somehow?

Hello again! :)

Mr.Satan said:
What effect does the transference have on the environment?

The same effect a similarly sized Lightning attack would have on it.

Do creatures in the area mutate at all?

No.

Does the deity fragment into avatars or aspects?

No, but if it has already created such external bodies the most powerful will become the new 'de facto' deity.

Are tieflings and half-fiends and such spawned if the deity is evil?

Spawned from what? :-S

Does it effect the weather?

Probably depends on the severity of the effect and if the effect is happening outdoors.

Do clerics suddenly lose all their powers?

Classically (IIRC) the deity would lose all spells above 4th-level. I think I may have tweaked that somewhere in Ascension, but I cannot recall the details.

Does the corpse immediate go to the Astral Plane, or does it linger for a while and contaminate the environment somehow?

I think the 'corpse' itself would be typically destroyed (assuming the fight is not on their home plane), except in special cases (various artifacts or spells in play might be able to kill a deity stone-dead even outside their home plane).

(Upon death outside their home plane) A new manifestation form would need to be 'grown/infused'.

Mr.Satan

First Post
Hello again! :)

Ello. :)

The same effect a similarly sized Lightning attack would have on it.

So, divine lightning would basically ravage the area. Could this potentially slay an immortal that's absorbing the power?

No, but if it has already created such external bodies the most powerful will become the new 'de facto' deity.

What if they're all possessed of precisely equal abilities? Do they fight for it, or do they negotiate? Do they all become free-willed deities? Could they merge and reform the original deity in question?

Spawned from what? :-S

Their unholy energies and their gutted innards?

Probably depends on the severity of the effect and if the effect is happening outdoors.

Shouldn't there be some sort of permanent impact on the spiritual energies of that region from the death of a god?

I think the 'corpse' itself would be typically destroyed (assuming the fight is not on their home plane), except in special cases (various artifacts or spells in play might be able to kill a deity stone-dead even outside their home plane).

And if a deity were killed stone dead outside their home plane and their corpse were left intact, what then? What sort of disturbing parasites would evolve in such a nasty thing?

(Upon death outside their home plane) A new manifestation form would need to be 'grown/infused'.

Infused? Could you elaborate?

Omeganian

Explorer

In case of a significant difference in alignment, make a saving throw. If failed, increase a counter by an amount dependent on the enemy and yours quintessence/level. If the counter is above a certain figure, shift alignment.

Mr.Satan

First Post
That would work for a dark quickening. I like the idea of tainted quintessence turning angels evil and corrupting the environment.

Mr.Satan said:

Howdy! :)

So, divine lightning would basically ravage the area. Could this potentially slay an immortal that's absorbing the power?

Except for the fact that Highlander Immortals need to be decapitated to actually die. ;)

What if they're all possessed of precisely equal abilities? Do they fight for it, or do they negotiate? Do they all become free-willed deities? Could they merge and reform the original deity in question?

Any of the above is possible. I suggest looking at the Portfolios for inspiration. For instance War deity avatars might fight each other, Chaos deity avatars might want to become their own individuals, Luck deities might gamble to determine who becomes the deity and so on...

Their unholy energies and their gutted innards?

Hmmm.

Shouldn't there be some sort of permanent impact on the spiritual energies of that region from the death of a god?

Probably more portfolio based than simply spiritual based...of course then there are always the potential threat of Umbral infestation.

And if a deity were killed stone dead outside their home plane and their corpse were left intact, what then? What sort of disturbing parasites would evolve in such a nasty thing?

I think that could well spawn a whole new sub-class of beings. Perhaps something native to the Feywild if thats not too alien (ie. 4E) a concept for you. :p

Infused? Could you elaborate?

When a deity is destroyed its 'energy' is dispersed. It needs to create a new manifestation by coalescing its dispersed energy.

Mr.Satan

First Post

*hogties you and hands you over to the rednecks* :p

Except for the fact that Highlander Immortals need to be decapitated to actually die. ;)

Would that be a cosmic? Can only be killed by decapitation or disintegration? Certainly there were other ways to kill them. I guess I could see it as Cosmic String + Cosmic Handicap (beheading).

Beheading someone is way too easy for it to be a divine handicap. :p

Any of the above is possible. I suggest looking at the Portfolios for inspiration. For instance War deity avatars might fight each other, Chaos deity avatars might want to become their own individuals, Luck deities might gamble to determine who becomes the deity and so on...

That makes sense. Currently I have a character who's avatars all have their own personalities, but all agree on one primary thing...their main self...the manifestation must go on, even if they must become one.

He has 42 avatars in total from having slain an entire pantheon and used much of the quintessence to create backups of himself. In essence, he's a walking pantheon.

Probably more portfolio based than simply spiritual based...of course then there are always the potential threat of Umbral infestation.

Portfolio-based? Examples?

I think that could well spawn a whole new sub-class of beings. Perhaps something native to the Feywild if thats not too alien (ie. 4E) a concept for you. :p

4E anything turns my stomach. Even the term feywild sounds lame to me. However, the idea of a new order of beings being born from the corpse of a dead god sounds very interesting. I'd like to see this expanded upon for 3.5.

When a deity is destroyed its 'energy' is dispersed. It needs to create a new manifestation by coalescing its dispersed energy.

Does it remain conscious while it's dispersed?

If not, what level of power would be required for it to remain conscious.

What level of power would be required for it to take purely defensive actions (non-attack actions...like communication, casting non-attack-based spells, etc.)...would this be a cosmic ability?

Hi Mr.Satan! :)

Mr.Satan said:
*hogties you and hands you over to the rednecks* :p

Sounds like I made a Wrong Turn.

Would that be a cosmic? Can only be killed by decapitation or disintegration?

I think it would just be a trait to ape Highlander. I don't see it being a massive power. The immortal would still be dropped at 0 hp, you could then decapitate it at your leisure - assuming you know to cut its head off and don't just leave it for dead.

Certainly there were other ways to kill them. I guess I could see it as Cosmic String + Cosmic Handicap (beheading).

I don't think we need to add anything more than the trait.

Beheading someone is way too easy for it to be a divine handicap. :p

Agreed.

That makes sense. Currently I have a character who's avatars all have their own personalities, but all agree on one primary thing...their main self...the manifestation must go on, even if they must become one.

He has 42 avatars in total from having slain an entire pantheon and used much of the quintessence to create backups of himself. In essence, he's a walking pantheon.

Albeit one thats at least a full status down on where he could have been.

I suppose 41 avatars could give their quintessence (10% rate naturally) to the 42nd avatar.

Portfolio-based? Examples?

In the wake of the death of a War God, perhaps attacks only deal half damage within that area.

4E anything turns my stomach. Even the term feywild sounds lame to me.

:D Blasphemer!

However, the idea of a new order of beings being born from the corpse of a dead god sounds very interesting. I'd like to see this expanded upon for 3.5.

Perhaps using (Legendary?) Rot Grubs as a basis might work.

Does it remain conscious while it's dispersed?

It remains aware, but cannot act other than to communicate telepathically with others.

If not, what level of power would be required for it to remain conscious.

See above.

What level of power would be required for it to take purely defensive actions (non-attack actions...like communication, casting non-attack-based spells, etc.)...would this be a cosmic ability?

It wouldn't have the power to cast spells. Theoretically it could have created artifacts to defend it for just such an eventuality but it cannot take any meaningful actions.

I vaguely remember toying with a mechanic whereby the manifestation would regain 1 HD per day or something like that.

Remove ads