• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Right material, wrong game

Jeph

Explorer
Earlier today, I bought the d20SW supplement 'Coruscant and the Core Worlds'. I don't have the revised d20SW book (although I do have the original), and don't plan to run a d20 Star Wars game any time soon, if ever. But I am running a Star Wars game with the Feng Shui rules set, and CatCW has some great info about a plethora of cool planets, not to mention some awesome adventure hooks and a bunch of useful NPCs.

I know that a bunch of people use the GURPS culture books (GURPS Russia in particular, IME). I've found that RPG resource books are best when the info in them is mostly system-nuetral, but there's enough crunchy stuff to keep you happy if you happen to be using the expected game engine. Does anyone else purchase RPG setting or info books, and use them with a game that they weren't designed for?

EricNoah

Adventurer
I'm gonna be running a d20 Modern adventure that has its basis in Alternity's Dark Matter campaign setting. But, no, normally I don't do that.

Crothian

First Post
It's been a while since I've done this but I have done this. I was using a Modern Artifact books from the Indiana Jones RPG in my d20M game and I'd like to use it in CoC d20 if I ever play that. I've used many Palladium Fantasy sourcebooks for information and inspiration.

Jeph

Explorer
Crothain, what kinds of things are in Modern Artifacts? I can't really see any of the centrifugic pieces in the IJ movies as being 'modern', what with the holy grail, original copy of the ten commandments, and all. Or was it more of a resource on using ancient artifacts in a modern setting?

Also, on a side note, are there any companies out there that put out seriously top-notch setting and world info, but have crappy game systems?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I have considered buying the Star Wars Ultimate Alien Anthology to use in regular DnD (and just for a good read). They are mostly compatable, and I can always use little cultural details to incorporate into exixting species.

Demiurge out

Crothian

First Post
Jeph said:
Crothain, what kinds of things are in Modern Artifacts? I can't really see any of the centrifugic pieces in the IJ movies as being 'modern', what with the holy grail, original copy of the ten commandments, and all. Or was it more of a resource on using ancient artifacts in a modern setting?

Also, on a side note, are there any companies out there that put out seriously top-notch setting and world info, but have crappy game systems?

Modern Artifacts isn't the name, it might have been just Artifacts. The book belongs to a friend. It has a lot of realy world items and gives the history of them. There are items like the Anhk of Anubis, the coins that were paid to Judas...there were many artifacts from all continents and I was very impressed with the variety of them.

What type of setting are you looking for? Palladium has a some good setting books as does Gurps, but both are hit and miss.

Jeph

Explorer
(uh, why did this get moved to OGL? It's about settings in general, not d20 settings, and the discussion isn't gravitating towards d20 products.)

Modern Artifacts sounds like a really neat book for occult-type games. I'll probably track it down if I ever get the urge to run something like that . . .

I'm not really looking for any setting in particular; just general setting info. The reason why: For the past couple months, I've been moving away from d20, WW, l5r, and the other big RPGs, and more into heavily-modified smaller systems (like my Star Wars Feng Shui) and narrativist homebrew games (like The Pool, and Riddle of Steel), where the premise is there, but the actual setting is up to you. It just so happens that I've realized that I suck at creating settings, so decided to yoink the hard work of others. :D

MnM_UH

First Post
GURPS Books

There are soooooooooo many GURPS books out there, and most of them are very well put together and have great info -- even if you're not playing a GURPS game.

Another good book for '30s era is the Adventure game put out by White Wolf. Again, if you can ignore the system notes, the setting info is pretty good. GURPS Cliffhangers is another good one. The Indiana Jones stuff by West End is pretty much mired in details specific to the movies.

Remove ads