• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ring of alterself

Apok

First Post
What's the ring's Caster Level? Find that out, then multiply the number by 10. That is the number of minutes the effect will last if you don't reactivate the ring.

However, after reading the description of the Alter Self spell more carefully, you will revert to your true form if you die. So, if you're dead, you're back to your normal form. Otherwise, the effect lasts for a number of minutes = 10 x the ring's Caster Level.

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
ShadowMaster said:
If I have a ring of alterself and loose consciousness will the ring stop working? what if I die?

Depends on who you ask. According to CS, rings do not have a limited duration. For example, a Ring of Invisibility stays "on" until you turn it off (or you attack someone).

So, if you turn on your ring of invisibility and then die, you may very well be an invisibile dead body for a very long time. (I don't know if this part is actually true, but its a really funny visual. :D)

Here's the actual email I got from them...

Is a ring of invisibility continous, meaning is it active until you deactivate, and vice versa, or does it have a limited duration? How about a ring of blinking?

--They are not limited, so you just activate and deactivate them as you please.

Thanks!

Matt
Wizards of the Coast - Game Support
Game Support E-Mail: custserv@wizards.com
Game Support Phone: 1-800-324-6496
Monday through Friday, 9 AM - 6 PM PST
Corporate Phone: (425) 226-6500
Please quote this e-mail in any reply.

Last edited:

Apok

First Post
Re: Re: Ring of alterself

kreynolds said:

Depends on who you ask. According to CS, rings do not have a limited duration. For example, a Ring of Invisibility stays "on" until you turn it off (or you attack someone). So, if you turn on your ring of invisibility and then die, you may very well be an invisibile dead body for a very long time.

Yep, that's one way to do it as well. It's not very internally consistent, but it works. Oddly enough, rings seem to be an odd combination of Command Word and Use Activated items, which can make them a little hard to arbitrate. However, for all intents and purpouses, a ring that doesn't have charges can be used indefinitely. The real question is do you have to "reactivate it" every once and a while if it's a Command Word item. The simple explanation is to just say no, but the method I mentioned earlier is more internally consistent and gives you a guideline for these kinds of situations.

Apok

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Ring of alterself

kreynolds said:

Why is it not consistent?

Primarily because, in the case of the Alter Self ring but you can use any ring that uses a spell and is Command Activated, the way it should logically work (a dangerous statement, I know, since not everyone follows the same logic) is that the ring's effect would last as long as the spell normally would if cast by a caster of the item's level. For example, a Ring of Invisibility has a caster level of 3. So, every time you activate the ring you become Invisible for 30 minutes. True, you can reactivate the ring at any time to "refresh" the effect but using this logic allows you to answer questions like, "What happens if my ring is on and I'm knocked unconscious or killed or otherwise incapacitated?" Does the effect last forever? I'm inclined to say "no" and assume that the ring would work as the spell cast at the items caster level if the character is unable to reactivate the ring. This line of thinking doesn't apply to rings who's abilities are automatically active when worn (Water Walking, Elemental Resistance, Mind Shielding, etc).

Of course, in the case of Alter Self, the spell specifically states that it ends if the character dies.

ShadowMaster

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ring of alterself

Apok said:

Of course, in the case of Alter Self, the spell specifically states that it ends if the character dies.

Ok, thanks. But what if I loose consciousness? 0 to -9 hp? I'm not dead just knocked out.

Apok

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ring of alterself

ShadowMaster said:

Ok, thanks. But what if I loose consciousness? 0 to -9 hp? I'm not dead just knocked out.

Well, if you go with what WotC CS says, your Alter Self remains intact indefinitely as long as you aren't dead. Personally, I'm sticking with my original estimation that the Alter Self will remain intact until it's duration runs out.

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ring of alterself

Apok said:
Primarily because, in the case of the Alter Self ring but you can use any ring that uses a spell and is Command Activated, the way it should logically work (a dangerous statement, I know, since not everyone follows the same logic) is that the ring's effect would last as long as the spell normally would if cast by a caster of the item's level.

Ah. I get ya' now. I don't see that as an inconsistency though. From what I can tell, the lack of a duration was intended to be the unique function of all rings, the one thing that set them apart from everything else, aside from mere thematics. Consider this; if rings do not inherently limit durations, then you could spend one feat on Craft Wondrous Item and make a ring anyway. Without that benefit, why bother making a ring when a ring would be no different than any other magic item? And if a ring is no different than a pair of bracers or a necklace, why require a different feat in the first place?

Anyway, dem's my thoughts.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads