• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ring of Counterspells vs. area spells?

paranoid

Does it work? For example, if the wielder is in the area of a fireball, would the ring trigger and counter the whole spell? (assumed that there's currently a fireball stored in the Ring, of course!)
And would the same be true for a multi-target spell, say, slow?

any insights?

green slime

First Post
You must be targeted for the ring to work.

So fireball is countered.

The best use (IMO) for a ring of counterspells is to place dispel magic in it. This way, you at least avoid a catastrophic loss of buff spells. You still suffer in an area dispel effect, but not at all to the same degree.

Dash Dannigan

First Post
Fireball is an area effect and does not target you. Ring of counterspells will not counter it.

edit- personally my mage used to have a ring of CSs & put feeblemind in there as a "just in case". Hehe, it had happened once before and the party just about got hashed. Baneful polymorph would be another good one.

Last edited:

nimisgod

LEW Judge
My brother usually uses the Ring of Counter spells to coutner targeted Greater Dispel Magics at his Buff-heavy cleric. Any character that relies heavily on Buffs should do the same...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Well, now, there's room for debate here.

The description of the Ring makes no mention of targetted spells.

It affects spells "cast upon" the wearer.

What determines whether a spell is cast upon him?

Hold Person: single target, the wearer. Pretty obviously yes.

Inflict Light Wounds: single target, the wearer - range Touch. Spell Turning wouldn't work... does a Ring of Counterspells?

Bane: multiple targets, including the wearer. It's "cast upon" him... but also on a bunch of other people. Is it countered? For everyone, or just the wearer?

Ray of Frost: Effect: ray. If it's aimed at the wearer, is it considered to be cast upon him?

Fireball: Area. If it catches the wearer in the spread, is it cast upon him?

If the ring used the phrase "spells targetted on the wearer", it would be far more clear. But "cast upon" is not a clearly defined phrase.

-Hyp.

Descritad

First Post
Isn't Dispel Magic the only spell that is not automatically successful as a counterspell? (p171 & 223 PHB) As it requires a dispel check vs. the other spell and the caster level of the ring is only 11th, it sounds like a bad choice to counter a Greater Dispel Magic.

In my campaign I ruled that the Ring of Counterspelling doesn't override the default behaviour of Dispel Magic when used as a counterspell. This seemed to be going against the spirit of the rules and sounded broken to me. Is everybody else playing it as automatically successful?

Regarding area effect spells, my interpretation of the rule is that it has to be targeted on the wearer. This means that everybody casting an area effect spell aims it slightly to one side of their target - just in case. :)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
In my campaign I ruled that the Ring of Counterspelling doesn't override the default behaviour of Dispel Magic when used as a counterspell. This seemed to be going against the spirit of the rules and sounded broken to me. Is everybody else playing it as automatically successful?

There are two situations.

You can use Dispel Magic as a generic counter to any spell, in which case it requires a roll.

Or, you can use Dispel Magic to counter Dispel Magic, in the same way that you can use Fireball to counter Fireball. Since you're using it as a specific counter, not a generic counter, no roll is required.

If you have Dispel Magic in a Ring of Counterspells, it will only counter a Dispel Magic cast upon the wearer... not any other spell.

-Hyp.

Descritad

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
If you have Dispel Magic in a Ring of Counterspells, it will only counter a Dispel Magic cast upon the wearer... not any other spell.
I see what you mean now. I wasn't allowing a Dispel Magic in a Ring of Counterspells to counter any other spell, but I thought the dispel check applied to Dispel Magic vs. Dispel Magic as well. I was sure I'd seen something about that in a Sage Advice some years back, but (since I can't find anything in the FAQ) I must have been mistaken. Greater Dispel Magic inside that ring will now become a no-brainer for my players. :)

paranoid

Hypersmurf said:
If the ring used the phrase "spells targetted on the wearer", it would be far more clear. But "cast upon" is not a clearly defined phrase.

That's exactly what I meant. It is apparently open to (DMs', of course) interpretation. I sent a mail to the WotC people, I'll let you know if I get an official clarification.

Thanks for your thoughts,
paranoid

green slime

First Post
I actually missed a "not" in my message above, but the old PC couldn't keep up when I tried to edit and then this thread completely slipped my mind...

IMO, a fireball is not countered.

Sorry about that.

Remove ads