• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ring Of Freedom of Movement?

the Jester

Legend
thorian said:
The price is way off based on the pricing guidlines. The ring should cost 84,000gp (4*7*2000*1.5) instead of the 40,000gp listed. Of course, this is nothing new with mispriced items.

Well, except that the guidelines are just that- guidelines. Your best guide for pricing new magic items is the items in the dmg. I'd hardly call it mispriced when it is the thing that sets the standard. ;)

Trainz

Explorer
the Jester said:
Well, except that the guidelines are just that- guidelines. Your best guide for pricing new magic items is the items in the dmg. I'd hardly call it mispriced when it is the thing that sets the standard. ;)

That's the thing.

Use the DMG formula to calculate it, but then, look at it critically, and figure out if it's too much or too little.

Ajust accordingly.

For example, a ring of Greater Heroism gives you +4 on all attacks, all saves, and all skill checks. Should be worth more then what the typical formula suggests.

Quinnman

First Post
It seems like they use the same calculations on armors also...

A "slick" armor costs +3750 gp and gives +5 bonus to Escape Artist...

The price for a skill-bonus is "bonus squared x 100", which with +5 gives a price of 2500 gp... lo and behold ;)... 1,5 x 2500 = 3750

:)

Stockdale

First Post
The ring of freedom of movement (or whatever its called) was in the 3E DMG. Only DMG I currently own and I just looked at it recently.

Diirk

First Post
Quinnman said:
It seems like they use the same calculations on armors also...

A "slick" armor costs +3750 gp and gives +5 bonus to Escape Artist...

The price for a skill-bonus is "bonus squared x 100", which with +5 gives a price of 2500 gp... lo and behold ;)... 1,5 x 2500 = 3750

:)

Ah, but thats the 1.5x modifier for a secondary power, not a 1.5x modifier for lack of affinity ;)

ARandomGod

First Post
Rings apparently have

Affinity: Everything.

Just add that into your item creation list and problem solved.

But yes, in general the affinity thing is for wonderous items only. They do use similiar calculations for armor additions... but then you'd have to say that armor has affinity everything too. Which I'd try to avoid.

Shuffle

First Post
Trainz said:
That's the thing.

Use the DMG formula to calculate it, but then, look at it critically, and figure out if it's too much or too little.

Ajust accordingly.

For example, a ring of Greater Heroism gives you +4 on all attacks, all saves, and all skill checks. Should be worth more then what the typical formula suggests.

Well, if I'm not mistaken that item would cost 264000 gp. Doesn't seem to bad too me.

My problem is with crafting the items..... that's when I see people getting items too early.

Remove ads