• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ring of Maximized Fire Ball?

Thanee

First Post
To answer the Ring of Stone Skin question, every time you use it, it's like a caster of the caster level of the item (minimum of 7th, because Stone Skin is a 4th level spell) had cast it on you (so it absorbs up to 70 points of damage and otherwise lasts for 70 minutes, if caster level is 7th).

Like the ring, that shoots fireballs, it would only really make sense as a command word item.

Use activated is either working continuously, when you wear the item, or is triggered everytime you 'use' the item (like the weapon, that triggers a spell, above).

Bye
Thanee

Drow Jones

First Post
Thanee said:
Yeah, that would make sense as a use activated item.

Do you think he meant something like that?
I guess not, but it would be an interesting item nevertheless.

Thanee said:
Figuring out a cost for that one would be tricky, tho. :D
Off the cuff, I'd say the same cost as a normal Metamagic Rod - Maximise (54000 gp). Unlimited and automatic usage cancels the one spell only limitation, IMHO.

I have a nagging feeling it should cost more, but I can't pinpoint why. :)

- DJ

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Drow Jones
The nagging feeling - could it be about what quantifies as a fireball?

Would an empowered, sonically substitued, widened, heightened fireball still get maximised?

Drow Jones

First Post
Inconsequenti-AL said:
Drow Jones
The nagging feeling - could it be about what quantifies as a fireball?

Would an empowered, sonically substitued, widened, heightened fireball still get maximised?
Yes, but it would get maximised with a metamagic rod as well. Although you would need a greater Rod to get it hightened... good point.

It seems that the cost of Ring of Maximised Fireballs should be based on the greater metamagic rod of maximation (121500 gp), unless more limitations are added.

- DJ

Tokiwong

First Post
Thanee said:
To answer the Ring of Stone Skin question, every time you use it, it's like a caster of the caster level of the item (minimum of 7th, because Stone Skin is a 4th level spell) had cast it on you (so it absorbs up to 70 points of damage and otherwise lasts for 70 minutes, if caster level is 7th).

Like the ring, that shoots fireballs, it would only really make sense as a command word item.

Use activated is either working continuously, when you wear the item, or is triggered everytime you 'use' the item (like the weapon, that triggers a spell, above).

Bye
Thanee
Thank you for the reply that is what I thought as well but was not sure :)

Tyrol

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
10, not 9... but otherwise, yup.

(9 Int is "Can't cast spells tied to this ability".)

From the 3E Main FAQ:

Say an 11th-level wizard has an Intelligence of 15. Can
the wizard prepare a teleport spell (5th-level spell) enhanced
with the Silent Spell metamagic feat and thus use a 6th-level
spell slot that the character (thanks to low Intelligence)
could not use to prepare a 6th-level spell?

Using a metamagic feat makes the spell occupy a spell slot
of higher level, but it does not actually change the spell’s level,
except for Heighten Spell, which does increase the spell’s level.
So long as the wizard in question has enough Intelligence to
cast the spell at its actual level (15 for the 5th-level teleport
spell) the character can cast the metamagic spell. Note that the
character doesn’t have to use metamagic to use the 6th-level
spell slot; the character can simply prepare any lower level
spell in the slot.

-Hyp.
Hypersmurf said:
They're considered the level of the base spell for some things (a Maximized Fireball won't get through a Globe of Invulnerability, for example, since all spells of 4th level or lower are blocked), and the level of the slot for other things (you can't put a Maximized Fireball in a wand or a lesser ring of spell storing, since wands can't have spells higher than 4th level, and the lesser ring can only store three levels of spells).

-Hyp.

The above 2 quotes have inspired me to wonder if Heighten spell could be used to bypass a Globe of Invulnerability.

Based on the quotes, I would assume a Globe of Invulnerability would FAIL TO STOP level 1-4 spells that have been HEIGHTENED to level 5+. Is this a correct assumption?

That would be particularly useful for sorcerors (who can heighten on the fly) to bypass an NPC caster's Globe of I.

Power_Munchkin

First Post
hm

Heighten spell is the exception to "metamagic doesn't actually increase the level of the spell" rule.

Heightened spells *are* higher level, have higher DCs, and require higher ability score to cast than their non-heightened counterparts.

A charm person heightened to 5th level will get through a globe of invulnerability.

Tyrol

First Post
Power_Munchkin said:
Heighten spell is the exception to "metamagic doesn't actually increase the level of the spell" rule.

Heightened spells *are* higher level, have higher DCs, and require higher ability score to cast than their non-heightened counterparts.

A charm person heightened to 5th level will get through a globe of invulnerability.

Good to know :)

Now, what about Spell Immunity?

From 3.5 PHB:
Spell Immunity

The warded creature is immune to the effects of one specified spell for every four levels you have. The spells must be of 4th level or lower. The warded creature effectively has unbeatable spell resistance regarding the specified spell or spells. Naturally, that immunity doesn't protect a creature from spells for which spell resistance doesn't apply. Spell Immunity protects against spells, spell-like effects of magic items, and innate spell-like abilities of creatures. It does not protect against supernatural or extraordinary abilities, such as breath weapons or gaze attacks. Only a particular spell can be protected against, not a certain domain or school of spells or a group of spells that are similar in effect. Thus, a creature given immunity to lightning bolt is still vulnerable to shocking grasp or chain lightning. A creature can have only one spell immunity or greater spell immunity in effect on it at a time.

I went ahead and bolded the key sentence in the above description. So my new question is: do level 1-4 spells heightened to spell level 5+ get by spell immunity? (much in the same way that they bypass Globe of Invulnerability)... (and obviously assuming the level 1-4 spell is one of the spell immunity 'specified spells').

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Tyrol said:
I went ahead and bolded the key sentence in the above description. So my new question is: do level 1-4 spells heightened to spell level 5+ get by spell immunity?

Absolutely. Just like Spell Immunity: Flame Strike will protect you against a Druid's Flame Strike (4th level spell) but not a Cleric's (5th level spell).

-Hyp.

Tyrol

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Absolutely. Just like Spell Immunity: Flame Strike will protect you against a Druid's Flame Strike (4th level spell) but not a Cleric's (5th level spell).

-Hyp.

Sweet! Thanks for the reply.

I already loved Heighten spell as a Sorcerer, but being aware of little things like this make it obvious to me that no higher level sorcerer should ever be without it.

Remove ads