• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ring of Mighty Wallop

iamtheend

First Post
It's been suggested that my Monk get this. I understand it makes my bludgeoning weapons one size category larger for damage without actually changing its shape and size.

How much would this ring cost? I heard 1k but I couldn't find a good source on that information and I'm not good on item creation. Also how would this ring work? A continuous effect?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I have a better idea. Buy the party arcanist a 3rd level pearl of power or memento magica. Have him cast Greater Mighty Wallop on you every day. If he's nice, he may be willing to expend one measly 3rd level slot to buff you without buying the item at all.

If you did make a ring, by the very flawed DMG rules, it'd be something like 1800 or 2000 gp, standard action to activate, and would last for 1 minute (CL 1).

Sekhmet

First Post
I have a better idea. Buy the party arcanist a 3rd level pearl of power or memento magica. Have him cast Greater Mighty Wallop on you every day. If he's nice, he may be willing to expend one measly 3rd level slot to buff you without buying the item at all.

If you did make a ring, by the very flawed DMG rules, it'd be something like 1800 or 2000 gp, standard action to activate, and would last for 1 minute (CL 1).

To make a ring with a continuous MW, the DMG would say :
Item Cost = + Material(50) + [XP(50)5] = 0.
Spell Effect Cost = Spell Level (1) x CL (1) x 2,000GP x 2 (modifier for being a spell with minutes/level duration) = 4,000.

For a 1 Use/day effect, it would cost 1,800. Spell Level (1) x CL (1) x 1,800.

Because of the usefulness of the spell, I'd argue that a once per day item would NOT increase the item cost, but a continuous item would cost 1.5x extra (4,000 x 1.5 = 6,000).

As far as Greater Mighty Wallop would go, the cost is dramatically increased, especially at maximum potential.
Minimum, a continuous ring of GMW is; Spell Level (3) x CL (5) x 2,000GP = 30,000 GP.
If it is at maximum effectiveness (assuming Medium creature is the base); Spell Level (3) x CL (20) x 2,000GP = 120,000GP.

Is it worth 120k?
YES.

Is it the best way to spend 120k?
Maybe not.

Last edited:

kitcik

Adventurer
This is what you want to do

Ring of Mighty Wallop, Greater cast at 12th level with 2 uses per day.

Cost: 12 x 3 x 2,000 x 2/5 = 28,800

Gives +3 size categories for 2 x 12 hours per day = 24 hours per day ;)

Take Improved Unarmed Strike to go from Medium to Large, then with the ring you will be colossal.

Done.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Is there any particular reason this would be the ring slot, btw? Cause if you just picked that at random, I've gotta say...that's a pretty cramped item slot filled with awesome options, I'd rather have it somewhere else.

iamtheend

First Post
Kitcik that would work for all day?

Stream someone told me to look into it and used ring when describing what I should be looking for. Suggestions on doing up Mighty Wallop or Greater Mighty wallop are greatly appreciated. Any other ideas on how to increase a human monk's damage would be appreciated.

I heard there is some kind of ectoplasm that you can put over your limbs to increase size.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads