• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ring of Mindblank-How Much?

Darth Shoju

First Post
Hey guys, I'm looking for your opinions on the cost of having an item made for me. I play a Barbarian 5 Fighter 6 in a Greyhawk campaign with pretty much the standard treasure/magic level. Since my Will save is a sickly +3 (+5 when raging :p ) my character has been nailed with a lot of Fear abilities (I hate fear...why should a brave adventurer run away because he sees a stupid Spawn of Kyuss?! I'm a chicken in real life, I don't need to play one in an RPG too!), hold persons, etc. I'm terrified of him being dominated or something and turned loose on the rest of the party (he would probably kill a character before being brought down...unless they had a hold person memorized :rolleyes: ).

So...I asked my DM how much it would cost to have someone make me a Ring of Mindblank that is always active. He said it would cost 200 000 gp.

I was just wondering...do you guys think that is a fair amount?

Thanks!

Chris

BiggusGeekus@Work

Community Supporter
Darth Shoju said:
I was just wondering...do you guys think that is a fair amount?

You're lucking out. The trend is to move away from items with a constant effect. I'd jump on that 200,000gp.

As a friendly commentary: I'd also look at a cloak of resistance. You're good for now, but you're approaching levels where you get a lot of "save or die" spells. I've always found it good to make those kind of saves.

Cloudgatherer

First Post
By the rules (guidelines), it would cost 240,000 GP. 2000 * 15 (min caster level) * 8 (spell level). Of course that's only the suggested starting price, and it can be modified up or down by the DM.

Later.

Apok

First Post
I, personally, wouldn't let an item like that go for less than 240000 gp, probably more. Having Mind Blank as a constant effect is pretty damn powerful seeing as how you are immune to all mind-affecting spells and effects.

If all you are looking to do is bump your Will save, either take BiggusGeekus's advice and get a Vest of Resistance or ask the DM about a custom magical item that will boost only your Will save, or even make you totally immune to fear effects.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Darth Shoju said:

So...I asked my DM how much it would cost to have someone make me a Ring of Mindblank that is always active. He said it would cost 200 000 gp.

I think an item like this would be overkill for your level. Mind blank is a powerful spell, well above the level of a wizard in your party. Additionally, to some extent your low will save is intentional - its part of the ballance for fighter types. (though this is why I like the alternate multiclassing rules which would give you the will save of a "poor will" class of your overall level - but those rules would also reduce your ungodly fort save. :eek: ) To turn around and make you immune to that range of effects would be a bit much.

Since this is something your character worries about, persue it in character. A cloak or resistance would help, as would a wisdom boost. If you've weathered a lot of these effects, it might make sense for your feat at next level to be iron will...

in terms of pricing, I would make it very difficult for a barbarian fighter to find a high enough level wizard who would make such an item at any price, until he was given reason to think you are worthy... that sounds like the kind of item that more sensible wizards go around finding and destroying. :D You should certainly not walk into ye olde magic shop and pick one up.

Kahuna Burger

Darth Shoju

First Post
Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. To be honest, I think he is setting it at 240 000 gps. It's been a while since he worked it out so I guess my memory was a little fuzzy there. ;)

I also totally forgot that I do have Cloak of Resistance +1. I picked it up from one of the other players just a couple of sessions ago. I was also getting a wisdom buff from one of the part clerics, so my Will save was looking better. Thing is, we were fighting a large amount of Spawn of Kyuss's and I was being made to roll a lot of fear saves, and just one failure would send me packing for most of the combat.

I don't want it to seem like I'm whining about my Will save though. The amount you guys said seems right to me, I was just looking to verify the price he came up with. I can always find ways to pump it up. We just went through a lot of sessions where creatures had Fear abilities. Our DM seems to really like that Fear ability, so I was just getting paranoid that we would be facing a lot more of those creatures. I'm not looking to be "the man" in combat, I'd just like to be there.

So what do you think an item that provides immunity to fear would cost?

Thanks again.

Sejs

First Post
If your DM uses stuff from Savage Species - invest some exp and gold and undergo the Ritual of Change to become a Feyblooded.

*nod*

+1 ECL, and you become immune to mind affecting effects.

Darth Shoju

First Post
hmm

Originally posted by KahunaBurgerI think an item like this would be overkill for your level.

This is true. But I was really just looking to start saving up for it so I could get it when I was a higher-level character.

Additionally, to some extent your low will save is intentional - its part of the ballance for fighter types. *snip* To turn around and make you immune to that range of effects would be a bit much.

You're right, the rules are meant to keep the fighter types weak on the will saves. But I was just trying to find a way-within the limits of the rules-to compensate for my character's weaknesses. Is this a bad thing?

in terms of pricing, I would make it very difficult for a barbarian fighter to find a high enough level wizard who would make such an item at any price, until he was given reason to think you are worthy... that sounds like the kind of item that more sensible wizards go around finding and destroying. You should certainly not walk into ye olde magic shop and pick one up.

Well one of our party wizards is trying to get into the wizard's guild in Greyhawk city. There's a wizard there named Boobka who seems to be willing to arrange anything for a price. But I do realize that this would be a powerful item indeed. If my DM wanted to make me work my butt off to get it, I would be cool with that! (it would be more fun that way too :cool: )

Thanks for your input! :)

Darth Shoju

First Post
nice

Originally posted by Sejs If your DM uses stuff from Savage Species - invest some exp and gold and undergo the Ritual of Change to become a Feyblooded.

Ooh that's very nice man. Thanks. My DM will let us use pretty much any published material (although if it doesn't say Dungeons & Dragons on the cover he is a little more hesitant...luckily Savage Species is core material!) so I should be able to use it. But I'll have to think of a legitimate roleplaying reason why my character would do so. I do prefer to keep my character's choices in character. The reason he's looking into the ring is because of all his experiences with the Fear ability and other mind-influencing attacks. But I might just go for a ring v.s. Fear if it'll be much cheaper.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads