• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ring of Sustenance and Spellcaster's rest

Antikinesis

First Post
LokiDR said:

The only qualification on a wizard re-memorizing his spell list is rest. He already can do it twice in a day. Wizard != Cleric.

From the SRD:
Spells: A wizard casts arcane spells. She is limited to a certain number of spells of each spell level per day, according to her class level.

Any questions? :D

-AK

Artoomis

First Post
LokiDR said:

The only qualification on a wizard re-memorizing his spell list is rest. He already can do it twice in a day. Wizard != Cleric.

Absolutely incorrect.

Wizards, et. al., get a certain number if spells per day. They have certain requirements for how they get them, but it's still a certain number of spells allwoed per day.

The ring, if you allow it to shorten rest time, only makes it easier for wizards, et. al. to prepare the set of spells they get for the day.

Ths has been debated before. ALL spell casters have a certain number of spells available per day[/]. The way they prepare those spells varies.

Last edited:

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Elves only need 4 hours to refresh their minds and bodies, but even they need to rest for 4 more hours to regain spells. A ring of sustenance refreshes you faster, but it wouldn't eliminate the 8 hour resting time.

IMHO

Murrdox

First Post
Eh?

8 Hours rest is the requirement for wizards. I've always assumed that the PHB uses "day" in regards to wizards simply because it assumes a wizard is only going to rest for 8 hours once per day.

Technically, in my view, a wizard can rest 8 hours, cast all his spells, rest another 8 hours, and then cast all his spells again, and then rest again. Thus, he could cast all his spells twice in one "day", or 24 hour period. A wizard is not like a Cleric, who is granted his spells by his God at ONE specific time during the day when he prays.

Does someone want to prove me wrong on this?

And it always takes 8 hours. The ring doesn't clear your mind, it just gives your body the benefit of 8 hours SLEEP... not REST. Which for the mind, can be quite different.

Antikinesis

First Post
Cheiromancer said:
Elves only need 4 hours to refresh their minds and bodies, but even they need to rest for 4 more hours to regain spells. A ring of sustenance refreshes you faster, but it wouldn't eliminate the 8 hour resting time.

IMHO
Read your own quote, 2nd post in this topic. Elves need 4 hours trance to refresh body, 8 hours rest to refresh mind.

I never said the ring eliminates the need for "8 hour resting time". I said it allows the wearer to get their 8 hours of rest in 2 hours, which is stated in the ring's description.

-AK

Dimwhit

Explorer
There are some very interesting arguments in this thread. I don't agree with many of them, but that's me.

A day, as far as I know, is defined as a 24-hour period, not the time between waking up and going back to sleep. I can't find anything in the rules that allows a Wizard to rest, cast his spells quickly, sleep another 8 hours, cast them all again, etc. Per day means per 24 hours. I'll add that this in IMO, but really...how else can you possibly define a day?

Wizards can prepare some of their spells, then later in the day prepare the rest, but that's completely different.

As for the Ring of Sustenance, I'm with the argument that a Wizard only needs 2 hours of sleep. It's different with the ring than it is, for example, with Elves. But really, while it's a nice ring, all it means is that if your 8 hours of sleep is messed up, you're not screwed for getting your spells back. Not even close to imbalanced. Unless a DM rules that it allows a Wizard to prepare a full alotment of spells multiple times in a day. In that case, I blame the DM.

All IMO, of course.

Last edited:

LokiDR

First Post
Ok, I obviously missed the method that Wizards regain spells. I am going to have to inform some of my friends of that.

Then I only ask if elves need 8 hours of rest before rememorizing spells. It is a relatively minor either way.

Antikinesis: As for non-semantics arguements, there is always flavor and balance. I tend to gravitate to those more often.

Antikinesis

First Post
Murrdox said:
8 Hours rest is the requirement for wizards.
Read the thread again. 2nd post, Cheiromancer: "To clear her mind, the wizard must first sleep for 8 hours."
I've always assumed that the PHB uses "day" in regards to wizards simply because it assumes a wizard is only going to rest for 8 hours once per day.

Technically, in my view, a wizard can rest 8 hours, cast all his spells, rest another 8 hours, and then cast all his spells again, and then rest again. Thus, he could cast all his spells twice in one "day", or 24 hour period. A wizard is not like a Cleric, who is granted his spells by his God at ONE specific time during the day when he prays.

Does someone want to prove me wrong on this?
Read the thread again. 11th post, Antikinesis: "She is limited to a certain number of spells of each spell level per day, according to her class level." Spells per day. Not spells per waking period, not spells per 8 hour rest period.
And it always takes 8 hours. The ring doesn't clear your mind, it just gives your body the benefit of 8 hours SLEEP... not REST. Which for the mind, can be quite different.
Please read before you post. "The ring also refreshes the body and mind..."

-AK

[Edit: Fixed the tags.]

Last edited:

Artoomis

First Post
Given:
The ring also refreshes the body and mind, so that its wearer needs only sleep 2 hours per day to gain the benefit of 8 hours of sleep.
and that fact that you only get one set of spells per day, allowing this to grant you faster spell preparation is not unbalancing.

The "refreshes the...mind,..." part of the description certainly supports the argument that this ring lets wizards rest faster.

It's not a really big deal to allow that - for 2,500 gp you can rest faster, but you can't pass the ring around (because of the one week it takes to start working). No big deal, really. You can rest faster but you can only wear one other ring (you use up one fo your two "ring" slots).

Last edited:

Antikinesis

First Post
LokiDR said:
Ok, I obviously missed the method that Wizards regain spells. I am going to have to inform some of my friends of that.

Then I only ask if elves need 8 hours of rest before rememorizing spells. It is a relatively minor either way.

Antikinesis: As for non-semantics arguements, there is always flavor and balance. I tend to gravitate to those more often.
Elven wizards need 8 hours rest. Whether or not they can get it from the ring, is a bit iffy. It provides the "benefit" of extra sleep while you're sleeping, but elves don't sleep at all.

We have house-ruled that it works with elven trance, still requiring 2 hours to meet the 8-hour rest requirement.

Point about semantics noted. :)

-AK

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads