• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ring of the Ram (need input)

LonePaladin

Explorer
I posted this a long time ago on the WotC message boards, and didn't get a single reply. Since this board seems to generate more useful input (as opposed to the near-flaming that a lot of people there use), I'm migrating it here to get some input.

What's this about? Mainly, I think the ring of the ram as described in the DMG is extremely underpowered, especially since it's one of the only rings that is a charged item. I've got reasons to think it needs fixing, so let me get started explaining.

If you remember seeing this on the WotC boards, please take another look and let me know what you think.

First, the ring's abilities, per the SRD.

The wearer can command the ring to give forth a ramlike force, manifested as a vaguely discernible shape that resembles the head of a ram or a goat. This force strikes a single target, dealing 1d6 points of damage if 1 charge is expended, 2d6 points if 2 charges are used, or 3d6 points if 3 charges (the maximum) are used. Treat this as a ranged attack with a 50-foot maximum range and no penalties for distance.

The force of the blow is considerable, and those struck by the ring are subject to a bull rush if within 30 feet of the ring-wearer. (The ram has Strength 25 and is Large.) The ram gains a +1 bonus on the bull rush attempt if 2 charges are expended, or +2 if 3 charges are expended.

In addition to its attack mode, the ring of the ram also has the power to open doors as if it were a character with Strength 25. If 2 charges are expended, the effect is equivalent to a character with Strength 27. If 3 charges are expended, the effect is that of a character with Strength 29.

A newly created ring has 50 charges. When all the charges are expended, the ring becomes a nonmagical item.

Moderate transmutation; CL 9th; Forge Ring, bull’s strength, telekinesis; Price 8,600 gp.
Listing the ring's equivalent Strength is nice for descriptive purposes, but leaves the DM or player with the task of determining how much to add to the roll — in this case, the bull rush attempt is at +11 for one charge, +12 for two, and +13 for three. Subtract 4 from these bonuses for attempts to break doors.

Why does this ring specify that it can open doors? Because 1st-edition rules had a special number listed for a character's Strength score, showing their chance of opening a stuck or barred door. The ring was unique in that it could mimic that function, while most attack spells didn't.

As written, there is no reason to ever use more than one charge at a time; if you're facing a situation in which the extra +1 or +2 bonus on the Strength check is needed for success, you'd be better off finding another solution, because you're still relying on rolling a 19 or 20, along with using multiple charges from a non-rechargeable item. Unless you can roll high enough to force your target around, all you're getting is 1d6 damage per charge used.

It gets better when we consider that the Spell Compendium has a 2nd-level wizard spell called battering ram. This spell essentially mimics the one-charge use of the ring, with a different range (close instead of 50 feet), and a different modifier (it's treated as a Medium attacker with a 30 Strength, for a +10 bonus). Its bonus applies as well to forcing items — and mentions opening doors as an example, but specifies it can be used to push any moveable object.

With this spell, a low-level wizard can craft a wand of battering ram for 4,500 gp, and get the same benefit of a ring of the ram for almost half the price. He won't have the option of using multiple charges, but why would he care?

Thus, I propose the following changes to the ring, to better reflect the increased power multiple charges should entail.

1. Make the size of the attacking force based on the number of charges used. Begin with a Medium attacker, then increase to Large and then Huge. This is mainly for descriptive purposes, but has some bearing on bull rush attempts.
  2. Remove the need for a touch attack. The original description handles this clumsily, and the spell itself automatically hits. Considering the low damage inflicted, and the possibility of the opposed roll having no result, requiring an attack roll is unnecessarily restrictive.
  3. Increase the base Strength of the force to match that of the spell, and add +2 for each charge after the first. This is unchanged from the original, except that it is a few points higher overall (and isn't an odd number).
  4. Change the damage based on the number of charges used. Treat the attack as a slam by a creature of the same size. (Refer to the zombie template for this.) Include the Strength bonus to damage. (All that strength should count for something, and the item doesn't have to perfectly mimic the spell. Besides, each charge costs double that of the wand, they should COUNT for something.)
  5. Expand the description to include the option to push around any inanimate object, not just open doors. The spell makes an attempt at this.
So, here is the revised text for the ring of the ram:

The wearer can command the ring to give forth a ramlike force, manifested as a vaguely discernible shape that resembles the head of a ram or a goat. This force strikes a single target within 50 feet, inflicting damage as a slam attack of the appropriate size, including the force's Strength modifier.
Code:
[B]Charges  Size    Str  Damage  Bull Rush[/B]
   1     Medium  30   1d6+10     +10
   2     Large   32   1d8+11     +15
   3     Huge    34   2d6+12     +20
The force of the blow is considerable, and those struck by the ring are subject to a bull rush, using the total bonus listed above. (This bonus includes the force's Size modifier.) The force will move with the target to push it farther than 5 feet, but cannot move farther than 50 feet from the ring's wearer. (Thus, it will not push a target farther than 55 feet away from the wearer.)

In addition to its attack mode, the force emitted by the ring has the ability to force open doors, knock heavy items over, and otherwise affect inanimate, unattended objects as a character with the appropriate size and Strength would exert in a single push. (For example, the force could shove a chest across the room, knock over a statue, or smash open a stuck door.)

A newly created ring has 50 charges. When all the charges are expended, the ring becomes a nonmagical item.

Moderate evocation [force]; CL 5th; Forge Ring, battering ram; Price 9,000 gp.

AnonymousOne

First Post
Personally I like the changes, though you might look at making this an X number of uses per day item in keeping with many of the revisions in the Magic Item Compendium.

This is also handy for characters like Rogues to take out those pesky incorporeal creatures.

maybe make it 3 charges that refresh at the beginning of each day.

frankthedm

First Post
LonePaladin said:
With this spell, a low-level wizard can craft a wand of battering ram for 4,500 gp, and get the same benefit of a ring of the ram for almost half the price.
Sounds like wotc has the Price correct in the first place. Turning a wand into a use activated magic item should be doubling the cost.
LonePaladin said:
He won't have the option of using multiple charges, but why would he care?
Why indeed? The other folks who cant use the wand may apreciate being able to drop 3d6 unstoppable damage with a bonus of a +13 bull rush. The option to use more charges is basically a freebie for the cost going up because the ring is use activated.

Simia Saturnalia

First Post
Changes are most certainly stolen, but my group gets more use out of Rings of the Ram than one full-power shot per day so it'll probably stay charged at my table. Then again, I tend to house rule recharging items in, so maybe my perspective's different.

LonePaladin

Explorer
I wrote this a few months before the MIC came out, so the concept of an item having a small number of daily charges hadn't occurred to me. Either way you use it, I don't think its price should be altered. (Then again, I haven't analyzed the MIC prices to see how that works out, but they've admitted that the pricing guidelines in the DMG are insufficient.)

Either way, thanks for the responses. I just hope this item gets revised in the next version; if it still has that text about opening doors, I'm not going to be happy.

Remove ads