• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ring of Wizardry

TessarrianDM

First Post
A Ring of Wizardry doubles your spell slots of a given level. When memorizing spells for the day, does it essentially "store" the additional spells, requiring you to keep track of which spells are "in" the ring, and which are cast? Or, does it just allow you to memorize spells in double the slots?

Also, if it just doubles the slots rather than store the spells, what happens if you take the ring off after memorizing the spells? Do you lose the spells completely, lose access to them while it is not worn, or have no effect? If you lose access, do you regain the access to those spells if you put it back on?

Jhaelen

First Post
I don't think that's been officially clarified. So here's how I'd personally rule this:
A Ring of Wizardry doubles your spell slots of a given level. When memorizing spells for the day, does it essentially "store" the additional spells, requiring you to keep track of which spells are "in" the ring, and which are cast? Or, does it just allow you to memorize spells in double the slots?
The ring doesn't store anything (it's not a ring of spell-storing!), it just allows you to memorize additional spells (or grants you additional slots) while worn.
Also, if it just doubles the slots rather than store the spells, what happens if you take the ring off after memorizing the spells?
They're immediately gone. Since you don't (have to) track which spells have been memorized using bonus slots, I'd always substract them from the spells/slots still available. E.g. if you have memorized 9 first level spells (four of them bonus spells from wearing the ring), cast four of them (no matter which ones) and then remove the ring, you'll only have one spell left.
Do you lose the spells completely, lose access to them while it is not worn, or have no effect? If you lose access, do you regain the access to those spells if you put it back on?
They're completely gone until you are able to rest/memorize again, putting the ring back on will not do anything.

The reasoning is simple: You don't want to allow 'sharing' the ring to multiply spell slots for every arcane caster in the group.

IMC, I generally require items to be worn for a full 24 hours before the wearer can use their powers. That takes care of (almost) every kind of possible abuse.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads