Rings of Power -- all opinions and spoilers welcome thread.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If the year is 3400 SA and her brother died 485 FA it has been thousands of years since his death and she is not 3300 years old, but 5300.
Yes, and I think that fits with her characterization. She wasn't kidding when she said she couldn't recount her trials of chasing Sauron down, since she has been ar it since the foundation of Numenorean civilization.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yes, and I think that fits with her characterization. She wasn't kidding when she said she couldn't recount her trials of chasing Sauron down, since she has been ar it since the foundation of Numenorean civilization.
It makes her even less likely to be a warhawk. She was never one and only mellowed over time, including going to Lothlorien in 1350 SA, so almost 2000 years prior to the current time period, assuming 3400 SA.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It makes her even less likely to be a warhawk. She was never one and only mellowed over time, including going to Lothlorien in 1350 SA, so almost 2000 years prior to the current time period, assuming 3400 SA.
Maybe vook Gladriel, but show Galadriel has no chill and no brake pedal. She basically stands in for the entire Noldor ruling house experience post fall of the Trees, which they can't get into directly for rights reasons anyways.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Maybe vook Gladriel, but show Galadriel has no chill and no brake pedal. She basically stands in for the entire Noldor ruling house experience post fall of the Trees, which they can't get into directly for rights reasons anyways.

That would be my only real problem with the show (most of which I really enjoyed) - I just don't see Galadriel as the same character. Don't get me wrong, I like this Galadriel well enough (and quite enjoy Morfydd Clark's performance) and I can absolutely watch and enjoy the show anyhow. BUT - I just don't see her as the same person at all.

I did think of one solution to this though - it's not her aging a few more thousand years - it's that she doesn't appear to have much in the way of psychic powers yet. I can see her personality changing quite drastically if something (like say, her ring) unlocks her psychic prowess. THEN she could easily develop the calm stillness she shows in LotR.

Anyone more hip to the lore than me (say, @Maxperson ) know when/how she became a powerful psychic (she's downright clairvoyant, as well as telepathic, right?)

For a guy that used to be able to fluently write in Tolkien Dwarvish (like runes on the cover of the Hobbit) and Tolkien Goblin (from the Father Christmas Letters) and a tiny bit in Elven (just the letters, not the language) - I'm not much of a Tolkien buff, perhaps surprisingly. I've forgotten most of all of that, along with what I remember of any of the books.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Anyone more hip to the lore than me (say, @Maxperson ) know when/how she became a powerful psychic (she's downright clairvoyant, as well as telepathic, right?)
Right off the bat. She was born in Aman and so her powers got a super boost from basically bathing in the light of heaven. Then on top of that she is the single most powerful member of her race to ever be born, with possible exception of Feanor who might have rivaled her. She might have grown in power a bit over time, but she was juiced to begin with.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Right off the bat. She was born in Aman and so her powers got a super boost from basically bathing in the light of heaven. Then on top of that she is the single most powerful member of her race to ever be born, with possible exception of Feanor who might have rivaled her. She might have grown in power a bit over time, but she was juiced to begin with.

That's what I thought, but she's shown no sign of that kind of power so far in this show, right? She's just really, really tough. (Though I suppose that she's had some visions, which could be her clairvoyancy).

I just thought you LotR's fans would find what the executive producer for the D&D: Honor Among Thieves had to say about Lord of the Rings.

"“If you look at all those things, they’re very set in stone,” Latcham tells us. “You’re not going to change Lord of the Rings. It’s been written by Tolkien and it’s done. This is it and this is what happened and this is the story and these are the beats. There’s not much malleability there… So I think the thing that makes us different is we get to tap into that but we don’t have to go, ‘Well this is what happens and we have to speak exactly in this way and exactly in this kind of cadence and this kind of version of the English language. We can make people talk like they talk today, because people were playing D&D yesterday on a new campaign, and they talk like a kid from Jersey, and they talk like a kid from California, and they talk like a kid from Oklahoma.”"

I've said it before, but setting this show in a D&D setting would have provided the showrunners, cast and crew infinitely more flexibility & freedom & opportunities & less headaches then setting Rings of Power on Middle Earth and having every decision anaylized by a fan base that firmly believe if Tolkien didn't write it himself, it has no place in the stories (not a criticism of either side of these debates, it just is, what it is, and I'm not a Tolkien scholar, so I leave it to others to debate the minatea of Middle Earth Lore).

MarkB

Legend
I just thought you LotR's fans would find what the executive producer for the D&D: Honor Among Thieves had to say about Lord of the Rings.

"“If you look at all those things, they’re very set in stone,” Latcham tells us. “You’re not going to change Lord of the Rings. It’s been written by Tolkien and it’s done. This is it and this is what happened and this is the story and these are the beats. There’s not much malleability there… So I think the thing that makes us different is we get to tap into that but we don’t have to go, ‘Well this is what happens and we have to speak exactly in this way and exactly in this kind of cadence and this kind of version of the English language. We can make people talk like they talk today, because people were playing D&D yesterday on a new campaign, and they talk like a kid from Jersey, and they talk like a kid from California, and they talk like a kid from Oklahoma.”"

I've said it before, but setting this show in a D&D setting would have provided the showrunners, cast and crew infinitely more flexibility & freedom & opportunities & less headaches then setting Rings of Power on Middle Earth and having every decision anaylized by a fan base that firmly believe if Tolkien didn't write it himself, it has no place in the stories (not a criticism of either side of these debates, it just is, what it is, and I'm not a Tolkien scholar, so I leave it to others to debate the minatea of Middle Earth Lore).
Setting it as anything other than Lord of the Rings wouldn't have got it the budget it had, or made it a flagship show on Amazon.

And if you think the D&D crowd are going to be any kinder when it comes to picking apart the minutiae of Honor Among Thieves, then... well, you probably haven't read any of the trailer threads on this site.

Setting it as anything other than Lord of the Rings wouldn't have got it the budget it had, or made it a flagship show on Amazon.

And if you think the D&D crowd are going to be any kinder when it comes to picking apart the minutiae of Honor Among Thieves, then... well, you probably haven't read any of the trailer threads on this site.

It shouldn't have gotten a billion dollar budget period, no way is it going to earn enough back that kind of money, even if it was more popular then it is. Honestly given DDHAT looks better then RoP from trailers and clips I've seen, I'm left wondering if embezzlement was occurring during RoP. That budget was just straight up irresponsible.

And it'd still be the Flagship show if it was set in a D&D setting, whose would displace it as the Flagship show on Amazon?

MarkB

Legend
It shouldn't have gotten a billion dollar budget period, no way is it going to earn enough back that kind of money, even if it was more popular then it is. Honestly given DDHAT looks better then RoP from trailers and clips I've seen, I'm left wondering if embezzlement was occurring during RoP. That budget was just straight up irresponsible.

And it'd still be the Flagship show if it was set in a D&D setting, whose would displace it as the Flagship show on Amazon?
We must have watched different shows. It looked to me like the budget was all up on the screen.

And Amazon wouldn't have commissioned a D&D show as a flagship project in the first place.

Remove ads