• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RIP Veteran's Armor (2008-2009)

Kisanji Arael

First Post
This thread is an open obituary for anyone who wishes to express grief at the death of Veteran's Armor. Yes, it needed to happen. I understand this. As a firm supporter of a rule-balanced system, I support its passing. But as a twink and a min/maxer, I will mourn its loss.

I would also like to offer my condolences to Mrs. Armor and the two +1 masterwork children he left behind. Remember, everyone, the open casket service is Saturday at 11 AM.

DracoSuave

First Post
Bah, it's still good. It's a hint of the flavor of the TacLord. Still quite nice for base level+1 armor.

It's just not uberborken.

evilbob

Explorer
This just furthers my theory that no one actually reads these books before they hit the presses.

(If you doubt my response, see page XX for more details.)

Shroomy

Adventurer
My character just obtained a suit of +2 veteran's leather armor; its a shame that I'll never get a chance to use that power....sniff.

Oni

First Post
I'm not sorry to see broken things go, but I'm not sure I entirely agree with the fix.

Personally I think they should have either a) greatly increased the level at which the item was available or b) should have made the bonus to hit/def scale with tier +1/+2/+3 rather than being locked in at +1.

In other news the Pacthammer is no longer silly either. :)

Kisanji Arael

First Post
My character just obtained a suit of +2 veteran's leather armor; its a shame that I'll never get a chance to use that power....sniff.

*Gives you a warm hug.*
"Me too. I just got it two sessions ago, and.... and..lu lu last session was an RP session!"

*Looks around at everyone else, tears streaming down face*

"Shame on you! Shame on all of you! You can't find some other place to discuss game balance? Some of us are trying to grieve!"

(just kidding; say whatever you guys want. But really, I didn't make this for discussing rules balance, I made it as a melodramatic semi-satirical thing. Come on, play along, guys.)

Rafe

First Post
Personally I think they should have either a) greatly increased the level at which the item was available or b) should have made the bonus to hit/def scale with tier +1/+2/+3 rather than being locked in at +1.

Option B, says I. It makes sense to have removed the power element, but now the armour is just... meh. It's still not bad for starting characters (then again, what isn't?), but it's pretty broken above 4th or 5th level.

edit: *breaks down and cries* I just can't feel sympathy for this mutilated item! I can't! *flees the thread*

Last edited:

Daedrova

First Post
I just finished skimming through the thread: D&D 4E and psychology: Hit chance too low?

I agree with those who expressed that it tends to suck when you miss with expendable (enc/daily) powers.

That is why I liked this armor, despite it being overpowered... I will be using an altogether different "fix" for my game.

The daily power will remain, but be changed so that either
1. You can spend an action point to recover a daily power that did not hit an enemy (...was going to say "that you missed with" ... but some powers have multiple attack rolls) or;
2. Spend an action point to re-roll a missed attack roll when using a daily power.

... perhaps it would still be appropriate to raise the item level to 4...

Oh yeah, and my condolences to all those who are here to mourn the passing of this once great item.
Perhaps other DMs will also find it in their hearts to show pity for those players who suffered such a great loss this week (and use something like the more balanced options presented above). ;)

evilbob

Explorer
2. Spend an action point to re-roll a missed attack roll when using a daily power.
Now that, I like! Option 1 takes too much bookkeeping, but that's a nice one. On the other hand, I think there are already items that allow you to re-roll rolls 1/day; you might want to look into those to see how it balances with this idea.

Another thought could be this: spend an action point to make an expended daily power recharge once on a :6: - similar to monster powers. That's lower in power than "you just get it" but it also still makes it possible to get it back. Probably still needs a positive level adjustment, though...

Remove ads