• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Rise of Tiamat review

How? There's nothing iconically Realms about a dragon uprising, or even the cult of the dragon. They should be a snap to slide into Eberron. Replace Tiamat with Khyber and the cult with the Cult of the Dragon Below, and pick out which cities in your chosen campaign area will correspond with Greenest, Baldurs Gate, and Waterdeep, and you're set. There will be a few bits where you might have to improvise (Eberron having much faster travel means the caravan segment might not work without mods, frex) but ROT is very much open to placement in different settings. Nothing about it is explicitly, unstealably Realmsian.

That's Hoard of the Dragon Queen, Rise of Tiamat is a bit harder to change the location of given the importance that the Red Wizards and the council of Waterdeep which contains a pretty large list of Realms characters and fractions.

Also Tiamat does not need to be Replaced with Khyber she exists in Ebberon and is trapped.

smartmonkey

First Post
That's Hoard of the Dragon Queen, Rise of Tiamat is a bit harder to change the location of given the importance that the Red Wizards and the council of Waterdeep which contains a pretty large list of Realms characters and fractions.

Also Tiamat does not need to be Replaced with Khyber she exists in Ebberon and is trapped.

RoT would take slightly more hacking, but I don't think it's undoable. The adventure with the Wizards is short, and - my Eberron knowledge is failing me a little here - it shouldn't be too hard to find another power group to replace them with.

I might be biased. I'm considering running ToD, but in a homebrew setting.

evan

First Post
That was a bit of a chore to read. I'll wait to pass my own judgement on the organization once it's out. One thign I've never understood is **reviewing** an adventure before you've played or DMed it.

sunrisekid

Explorer

I am considering re-naming elements of HotDQ to fit my 4E-inspired "Conquest of Nerath" campaign. E.g., replacing Zhentarim with Iron Circle stuff, Lords Alliance in the Nerath area, renaming Waterdeep and Baldurs Gate to something less recognizable, etc. Seems relatively straightforward for HotDQ, as mentioned earlier.

However, if RoT is narratively bound to more distinctly-Realmsian lore then I may reconsider because there's only so much free time that I can throw towards this stuff. If the world-theming (or whatever the correct term is for altering branded worlds) is going to be difficult then I'll just swallow my ennui and stick to RAW.

Staffan

Legend
Since I'm using Eberron, any thoughts on how Realms-dependent RoT is? I think I've got HotDQ figured out for a conversion, but I really don't want to walk into a situation that's too tied to the Realms.

I can only speak for Hoard and not Rise, but I guess it depends on how much of an Eberron purist you are.

I mean, it would probably be fairly simple to replace various place names with other place names, and some organizations might need replacement as well. That's the easy bit.

But an adventure that's based on the concept of evil chromatic dragons trying to take over the world? That's pretty damn un-Eberronian. Eberron dragons tend to be isolationist manipulators, not conquerors. Sure, you can occasionally find a "feral" dragon over in Khorvaire somewhere, but as an organized force? Nah, I don't buy it.

It's a bit like having an adventure based around the PCs being freelancers for the city watch and doing good for them, and trying to adapt that to Dark Sun where law enforcement are handled by templars that are basically evil clerics of the Sorcerer-Kings.

Mercule

Adventurer

Yeah. The "cult wants to free an ancient draconic entity" is what initially got me thinking Eberron.

In converting HotDQ, what I found is that the actual places weren't as important as that they were going somewhere. Both Baldur's Gate and Waterdeep get less than a page of text, and that's mostly about things that could happen in any city.

My initial conversion was going to be sending the caravan from Breland towards Merylsward. Replace the desire to increase traffic to Neverwinter with House Orien competing with House Lyrrandar for who will ship grain out of the northern Reaches, and it plays out the same. Use Passage as a refueling stop, rather than Waterdeep.

Lately, though, I've been thinking of moving things onto the lightning rail, with Thaliost and the broken bridge adding the flavor the Baldur's Gate would. There wouldn't really be any wandering monsters, but the key events could still play out a bit more like "Murder on the Orient Express". It would also let me use Karrnath, which doesn't happen very often.

We've still got a couple session left of LMoP (we play every-other week), so I still have some time to think.

I can only speak for Hoard and not Rise, but I guess it depends on how much of an Eberron purist you are.

I mean, it would probably be fairly simple to replace various place names with other place names, and some organizations might need replacement as well. That's the easy bit.

But an adventure that's based on the concept of evil chromatic dragons trying to take over the world? That's pretty damn un-Eberronian. Eberron dragons tend to be isolationist manipulators, not conquerors. Sure, you can occasionally find a "feral" dragon over in Khorvaire somewhere, but as an organized force? Nah, I don't buy it.
First off, unless things change significantly in RoT, it's actually based around the idea that a bunch of nut-job cultists want to raise an imprisoned godlike being -- that's standard issue crazy, on Eberron. HotDQ was low enough on the dragon count that I can easily chalk it up to a couple of "feral" dragons. I'm prepared to do the same, for one or two, in RoT, along with one or two evil dragons and one or two good dragons acting on the Prophesy (it'll be high-level by then). If it gets beyond that, though, I start having concerns. Unless, of course, those parts of the module could be set on the shores of Argonessen.

My gut reaction is that the Thayans could be replaced with House Canith, the Blood of Vol, or Aerenal, depending on the exact role. Heck, Morgrave University or even Karrnath might even make sense. Running around in Sharn should be comparable to running around in Waterdeep. Unless the PCs are going to try to get Kelban Blackstaff to fight on their side, I don't see that the exact names/personalities of a major council actually matters. Maybe pleading before the Twelve (or even the Chamber) would make more sense.

Hopefully, it's clear that I'm doing substantively more than just filing off the serial numbers; I'm actually distilling the key flow of the adventure, then actively removing the Realms-flavoring and replacing it with Eberron. That includes replacing all the half-dragons with something else (the first one will be warforged).

There's a limit to how far something can be boiled down, though. You can't make wine from rye. There's also a point at which it becomes absurdly difficult. If the chapter with Waterdeep requires the Lords' Council to strike a bargain with Menzoberran to stop hunting Drizz't so he can ask the Harpers to get Elminster to rub Mystra's feet, that's too many dominoes. So, that's what I'm really looking at, for questions of conversion. Thoughts?

There's a limit to how far something can be boiled down, though. You can't make wine from rye. There's also a point at which it becomes absurdly difficult. If the chapter with Waterdeep requires the Lords' Council to strike a bargain with Menzoberran to stop hunting Drizz't so he can ask the Harpers to get Elminster to rub Mystra's feet, that's too many dominoes. So, that's what I'm really looking at, for questions of conversion. Thoughts?
This part will be pretty tough

This the Council Scorecard http://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/RiseTiamat_CouncilScorecard.pdf

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Isn't the point of buying things like this so that you don't have to do all the work yourself? Kobold Press and WoC would do themselves a favor by reading the APs that Paizo makes. Granted, their stories vary in quality, but at least the final product can be run as is by a GM.

Ugh. No thanks. Adventure Paths are generally well written but they are huge pain to run out of the book. Tons of important information is buried in walls of text. I actually asked on the forums about this, and James Jacobs responded by saying that lots of people buy the APs to read them, not run them, so changing to a more playable format (bullet points and lists rather than heavy prose, for example) just was not going to happen.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Ugh. No thanks. Adventure Paths are generally well written but they are huge pain to run out of the book. Tons of important information is buried in walls of text. I actually asked on the forums about this, and James Jacobs responded by saying that lots of people buy the APs to read them, not run them, so changing to a more playable format (bullet points and lists rather than heavy prose, for example) just was not going to happen.

If you shop around, there are many different steels of presenting an AP to the end user. This is where others can add value beyond the core company.

Remove ads