• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Risk Rage

Cadfan

First Post
Wow. This is really odd. There are so many Risk versions out there that I can't figure out why they wouldn't just release a new version, while still selling the regular risk to the nostalgia players. Its not like an RPG with a need to standardize your edition in order to coordinate the expansion products you sell.

Risk sucks anyways, of course. 15 minutes of fun wrapped up in three hours.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Well I will be sold if they implement Kami-Kami-Kaze!!! into the game. It is truly the most ultimate home-brewed rule for Risk ever :D

My friends use it after inspiration from Undergrads. If someone is losing or no-longer wishes to play (since come on Risk can take FOREVER!) they are allowed to move all their men to one place on the map they control and go on a continuous attack spree till all their men are dead.

coyote6

Adventurer
FireLance said:
eliminates the Napoleonic-era timestamp of the original Risk

Actual grognards will really have reason to complain!

Assuming they've managed to survive for a couple of hundred years, that is.

Celebrim

Legend
Played with a sufficiently experienced and smart group of people (and assuming non-random starts), Australia is not a winning strategy in and of itself. However, that doesn't mean Risk is a good game.

a) Played as a 'Pen and Paper' game, six player risk might take 8-12 hours. Played on a computer, six player risk takes about 45 minutes. Too much of the game is pointless dice rolling.
b) It sucks that players can be easily put out of the game. When playing risk, you need two player and four player games on hand for the participants that get put out of the game early.
c) At the end of the game, it comes down to almost complete luck, as the ability to turn in sets immediately if you have more than 5 cards becomes a cascading effect. This not only acts to end the game immediately based on a random draw of cards, but forces everyone else to gamble on ending the game immediately to stop it.

Talislan

First Post
A game of 'Risk' now only 60-90 mins...oooh colour me speedy!

Games of traditional Risk that take over 30 mins can only be put down to a 'never surrender' or 'I own asia' mind set...unless of course you include set up time. ooh what fun! ;)

AZRogue

First Post
I don't know. I think they're making a big mistake changing Risk's movement. You aren't limited to attacking countries touching your own anymore, but can attack any other country on the board at once? Whatever. I can see how it would speed play but it isn't very good for verisimilitude. Unless they're going for movement as an abstract rather than something concrete (yes, I know Risk is based on a lot of abstract concepts since the original red box, but I never played that way and don't know anyone who has).

And now Risk games are only going to last 90 minutes? Since when was relaxing with your friends supposed to a timed event? Isn't anyone patient anymore? Why does everything have to be such a rush? They're catering to their youngest target audience with this edition and that isn't me. At least I still have my old box set, though I'm missing the Blue Army.

They might as well just have made PSP/Gameboy DS RISK and be done with it. My family isn't going to change, I can tell you that right now.

Keenath

Explorer
AZRogue said:
They might as well just have made PSP/Gameboy DS RISK and be done with it. My family isn't going to change, I can tell you that right now.
What's a little scary is I'm not entirely sure I can tell whether you're serious or parodying 4e haters.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Oh joy. This new version of Risk is exactly what I'm looking for! At the same time, it will play faster and have a more relaxing pace! The old Risk sucks! the New RISK rules!

All you risk 2.0 haters are morons!

Remove ads