• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Risk Rage

Mark Hope

Adventurer
I won't be switching, although my reasons for not making the change have more to do with my like for Risk 1e than they do with any dislike for Risk 2e. I have an extensive Risk 1e library (including numerous deluxe versions of the game), with many scenarios that I have yet to try out. People often harp on about how Risk 1e is slow, how some countries are automatically disadvantaged, how some victory conditions are unattainable etc. Personally speaking, I've never encountered any of those problems in my games. Risk is smooth, balanced and really quite simple once you get to know it - I don't see what all the fuss is about.

On top of that, the marketing for Risk 2e has really left a sour taste in my mouth. I don't need Risk 2e designers telling me that Irkutsk is broken, or playing Australia is unfun. Please. Don't insult my intelligence.

Not to mention that, under the proposed changes, playing Risk will be entirely risk-free. Sorry. With those changes, it's no longer Risk to me.

And besides, I hear that Paizo will continue to support Risk 1e through their Riskmastery gameline, so I'll be set with them.

I'm sure plenty of folks will make the change, and more power to them. I just hope that fans of both editions can still share mind-numbingly dull tales of endless dice-rolling in times to come. For me, though, the line has to be drawn somewhere. That's just the nature of gaming.

:p

(In truth, I loathe Risk with an unholy passion. Horrible, tedious game, imho. Oh well. Maybe I will give this new version a look. At least I can see if the new counters fly as far when I upend the gameboard and hurl it across the room in a fit of pique...)

Brown Jenkin

First Post
What are these Napoleonic game pieces that people talk about. My risk game has extruded plastic Roman numerals, and I love them. There is no other way to do game pieces.

I also hope 4E includes cheap plastic dice that I color the numbers in with crayons.

Cadfan

First Post
Brown Jenkin said:
What are these Napoleonic game pieces that people talk about. My risk game has extruded plastic Roman numerals, and I love them. There is no other way to do game pieces.
Ah, youth. My copy has wooden cubes and rectangles. It predates this "plastic" the kids are always talking about.

...ok, ok, I got my copy from my Dad.

Lizard

Explorer
Cadfan said:
Ah, youth. My copy has wooden cubes and rectangles. It predates this "plastic" the kids are always talking about.

...ok, ok, I got my copy from my Dad.

I played with that, too. I liked the abstraction better than the later figures. :)

Delta

First Post
Kwalish Kid said:
But as a game, Risk truly sucks.

There are two winning strategies. Either a) get dealt Australia, or b) cheat.

In decades of playing Risk, I've never seen anyone win from Australia. Or cheat.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Am I the only one who realized how hopelessly naive I am due to this game?

People would be all, "We should form an alliance!" And I'd go, "OKAY!"

Stupid game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads