• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ritual Book as Magic Item Parcel?

KanedaX321

First Post
I couldn't find anything written on this in the first DMG, so I thought I'd try here: How would a DM classify a found ritual book in terms of treasure parcels? Is it considered a regular item? Or is it a magical item?

And if it is a magical item, how would one go about determining its worth by level when slotting it into the Treasure Parcels tables? Is each ritual individually a magic item? Or is the book itself a magical item, its Level Worth equal to its highest spell, or the total of all of its spells combined?

If you could help me out, or at least point me in the right direction by looking through a different book, that would be awesome. Thanks!

zoroaster100

First Post
I'd say you have to calculate its value by adding the cost of purchasing each ritual in the book. But to make it into a useful treasure parcel for your players I'd suggest keeping the rituals to those they can currently use or will be able to use within one to two levels at most, and avoid including rituals they already have in their own ritual books.

Ketjak

Malicious GM
Use its gp value as a guideline, and replace a cash parcel with it.

I have done this, and used a mix of rituals that my party can use - that is, if no one was trained in a skill, I didn't throw a ritual in that was based on that skill (I think it only happened with Nature).

Yup, it works well. Personally I wouldn't count a ritual book as one of the items the players get. I'd count it as a cash value treasure. The distinction is fairly arbitrary anyway since in most games the players will find ways to convert cash into items if they really want.

the Jester

Legend
DEFINITELY count it as cash, not a magic item.

If you treat rituals as magic items, the pcs won't have the magic items they are assumed to have. Unless you're using the "inherent bonuses" variant, they may not be able to keep up with the expected monster defenses.

DNH

First Post
One important argument against awarding ritual books in place of equivalent value magic items is that you will very quickly run out of rituals. Magic items are more valuable than rituals. Take a sixth-level item, worth 1,800gp, and compare that to the sixth-level rituals. I don't think there is one worth more than 360gp. The issue only becomes greater as you go up in levels.

Azlith

First Post
Ketjak said:
I have done this, and used a mix of rituals that my party can use - that is, if no one was trained in a skill, I didn't throw a ritual in that was based on that skill (I think it only happened with Nature).

Except that often times useful rituals don't require a skill check. A ritualist can still find those valuable to have. They just need appropriate components.

Ryujin

Legend
Except that often times useful rituals don't require a skill check. A ritualist can still find those valuable to have. They just need appropriate components.

Precisely. The skill listed if frequently for purpose of component type, as no skill roll is required.

They make good stocking stuffers, when treated solely as monetary treasure. If you have any desire to foster the use of rituals in your campaign then you MUST make them available, in some way.

Remove ads