• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[River of Worlds]Help me make this Fighter/Mage pirate

Psion

Adventurer
This is a character I am working on to plague my PCs with. I have a little bit of background in mind. My planar trade port, Dragonwatch Harbor, is ruled by Dragon Mages. Dragon Mages use techniques learned from Dragons to gain magical powers from hordes. Of course, this led some Dragon Mages to engage in larceny and piracy to gain power. This is something the planar trade combine didn't look nicely upon, and led them to oust some dragon mages from power (with the cooperation of dragon mages, since the livelihood of their city relied upon trade.)

This character is one of the said pirates.

The character has levels in Fighter, Sorcerer, Arcane Blade (from quintessential sorcerer), and Dragon Mage (from Spells & Magic). The only thing really fixed in stone is the classes, levels, and already defined spells. And his scimitar.

What I need are ideas for spells, treasure, and personality traits that would make him more memorable.

I have an idea for a subplot with an rogue NPC seeking to get an item from his horde... something that should interest the players since that would strip him of the dragon mage levels.

Any input appreciated.

Roman, male human Fighter 2 /Sorcerer 6 /Arcane Blade* 5 / Dragon Mage** 3: CR 14; Size M (5 ft., 7 in. tall); HD 2d10+6+6d4+18+5d8+15+3d8+9; hp 114; Init +6 (+2 Dex, +4 Improved Init); Spd 30 ft.; AC 12 (+2 Dex); Attack +15/+10/+5 melee, or +13/+8/+3 ranged (Scimitar +18/+13/+8, 1d6+6+1d6 electrical(18-20), full buff/keen/arcane senses +22/+17/+12, 1d6+10+1d6 electrical (15-20) ); SV Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +6; AL CG; Str 18, Dex 14, Con 17, Int 18, Wis 13, Cha 17.

Skills and feats: Balance +9 (+7 Rank, +2 Dex), Bluff +12 (+9 Rank, +3 Cha), Climb +9 (+5 Rank, +4 Str), Concentration +15 (+12 Rank, +3 Con), Craft (Alchemy) +7 (+3 Rank, +4 Int), Craft (Weaponsmithing) +14 (+10 Rank, +4 Int), Intimidate +12 (+9 Rank, +3 Cha), Jump +9 (+5 Rank, +4 Str), Knowledge (Arcane) +17 (+13 Rank, +4 Int), Knowledge (Dragons) +17 (+13 Rank, +4 Int), Knowledge (The Planes) +13 (+9 Rank, +4 Int), Profession (Sailor) +8 (+6 Rank, +2 Wis), Sense Motive +9 (+7 Rank, +2 Wis), Spellcraft +20 (+16 Rank, +4 Int), Spot +9 (+7 Rank, +2 Wis), Swim +9 (+5 Rank, +4 Str), Tumble +9 +(7 Rank, +2 Dex); Combat Casting, Combat Expertise, Craft Arms and Armor, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Lightning action***, Scholar****, Weapon Focus (scimitar).

Languages Spoken: Aquan, Planar Common, Draconic, Elven.

Possessions: +2 Shocking Burst Scimitar, +2 Light Crossbow, 10 +1 freezing burst quarrels, 10 +1 flaming burst quarrels.

Class abilities:
Chosen weapon*: Scimitar. May only use most class abilities with this weapon
Bond*: May expend a 0-level spell slot as a free action to add +5 bonus to rolls against disarm attempts for Cha bonus + 1 round.
Improved Mage Armor: Mage armor provides a total AC bonus of +4 + ½ class levels (+6) and can cast such a spell as a stilled, silenced spell.
Arcane senses II: Can designate up to 2 targets, one per move action. Against such a target, the Arcane Blade receives +2 insight bonus to AC, attack rolls, damage rolls, Sense Motive and Spot checks and Reflex saves against that target, and never counts such an opponent as flanking.
Improved statistics: Boosts spells bulls strength or cats grace when cast on him by 50% (+6 total).
Improved true strike: Duration of true strike spell becomes 1 round/class level (5) and can split the bonus between attacks.

Sorcerer Spells Known (9/5/5/4/4/3/2): 0th -- Acid Splash, Daze, Detect Poison, Ghost Sound, Light, Message, Read Magic. 1st -- Mage armor, Magic Missile, Magic Weapon, Shield, True Strike. 2nd -- Bull’s Strength, Cat’s Grace, Mirror Image. 3rd -- Fly, Haste, Keen Edge, Water Breathing; 4th – ; 5th – ; 6th – .

Spells:
Sorcerer Effective Level: Slots 13 / Caster 14
Spells Per Day: 0-5th: 6; 6th - 4.
Spells known: 0 - ; 1st - ; 2nd - ; 3rd - ; 4th - ; 5th - ; 6th -.

* - Source Quintessential Sorcerer
** - Source Spells & Magic
*** - Source Metablades
**** - Okay, I’ve seen two versions of this. Basically, it gives the character two knowledge skills as class skills; it's how he got knowledge (planes) and (dragons).

Space monkey

First Post
Ok the spells I( can't help much with, but I'll try to help with personality and treasure.
Actualy I don't know to much about the river of worlds so I might not be much help with treasure.

ok for the personality to make him memrable, make him over confident(with reason) boastfull and bearing magical scars from his dragon magic. I'd probobly stay away from most pirate sterotypes, egcept maybe for the sailors tattoos bit that might add.

He's got to be greedy though, and with an eye for detail. I would have him joke with the players as if he does not believe they can harm him. he enjoys a good time, and has one well trying to kill the players.

Tell me if this helps or if I'm just foolish

Psion

Adventurer
Space monkey said:
Ok the spells I( can't help much with, but I'll try to help with personality and treasure.
Actualy I don't know to much about the river of worlds so I might not be much help with treasure.

Well, long story short: the river of worlds is a planar pathway. In its waters are spheres that contain portals to various worlds. Sail through a portal, and you show up in a body of water on the target world.

Other than that, I generally am just plundering planescape and other planar (and sailing) resources liberally. I picture a bit of "Pirates of Dark Water" and "Sinbad" (both the old live action movies and the animated movie) in there as well.

ok for the personality to make him memrable, make him over confident(with reason) boastfull and bearing magical scars from his dragon magic. I'd probobly stay away from most pirate sterotypes, egcept maybe for the sailors tattoos bit that might add.

That's good. There is a pic by Marcio Fiorito that showed up in two mongoose books (Ultimate NPCs and I think Quint Sorcerer) I was sort of associating with him. He has a few pics up on Pen & Paper but that's not one of them, or I'd have shown it. :( Anyways, that pic has a serpent or dragon-like scar or tattoo on one side of his face.

The tattoo thing works well too. I had already thought about giving him some of the "mark" spells from book of eldritch might. I also might give him craft magic tattoo. I am rethinking how I handle the scholar thing, so I might have a free feat.

He's got to be greedy though, and with an eye for detail. I would have him joke with the players as if he does not believe they can harm him. he enjoys a good time, and has one well trying to kill the players.

Tell me if this helps or if I'm just foolish

No, that's great. You had mentioned some spell ideas though. Anything more on that?

I think I'll be dropping mirror image, though. Metablades has a cool feat chain / style around that, but I already have a villain who has a mirror image motif going on.

Psion

Adventurer
guyjin said:
if I'm reading his stats right, he's chaotic good? Is that correct?

No, it's not. I probably used another stat block as a boilerplate, and left it there.

CE or NE, more likely.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads