• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rivets Eternal: Metal Men and Fleshy Cogs (D&D3.5e; Closed!)

jkason

First Post
I didn't have a chance to post in the poll thread, but I'm hoping that doesn't rule me out. The world here sounds nifty. Anyway, a concept first, with stats to follow if'n you like the idea:

Josh Mornston, performance artist (bard)

Josh was supposed to spend his life working at The Steamworks Plant, just like all the other Mornstons. Like Grandpa Jerry, who got tossed on his butt after 50 years of service when his joints couldn't take the strain of riveting any more. Like his father, Joe, who spends every night coughing up the black soot he breathes in while filling the plant's furnaces during the day. Like his mother, Mariah, whose eyes are quickly failing in the low light of the widget sorting room.

Josh had better things to do than live or die as a Steamworks cog. He left behind the life of risking fingers to unjam gears and took to the streets. Cobbling together scraps and cast-offs, co-opting unused alleys, Josh became a performance artist. It didn't make him much money, but his penchant for satirizing the upper class definitely gave him noteriety. Whether that was performance talent, his choice of targets, or the burgeoning more-than-natural gifts he was discovering, "Josh O' The Mornin'" performed to packed alleys, uproarious laughter, and thunderous applause.

That is, until his latest show, wherein he chose to cast Steamworks' board of directors as various barnyard animals. President Moran was particularly furious with Josh's portrayal of him as an incontinent orangutan. While Josh rather vocally argued a man ought to have the right to mock whichever public figures he so chose. Despite Josh's natural and supernatural persuasive skills, the open air court decided otherwise, sentencing him harshly so as to dissuade other social malcontents from following in his footsteps.

dave_o

Explorer
Borson said:
Ah, I'll play as a super strong dude, a boxer, like Tyson, a little bit psycho, thrown in prison for killing a man outside of the ring. Raised poor, little schooling in anything except for fighting. I studied at a fighting guild most of my teen years. I've been beaten down most of my life, but when I turned 18 I was able to fight for real money. I stepped in the ring and knew that from then on I had to fight only in the ring. My old street enemies got wind of this and provoked me a little too much.. my passion for fighting was uncontrollable and I killed them to protect my ego. Unfortunately for me the law witnessed it all, and here I sit in prison.

Looks rad, a few notes -- not being 18 wouldn't keep you from being able to fight professionally. You would have likely spent your training as an understudy of a pugilist, maybe one who took a liking to you due to your poverty, or family, or whatever. Sounds awesome. :D

jkason said:
I didn't have a chance to post in the poll thread, but I'm hoping that doesn't rule me out. The world here sounds nifty. Anyway, a concept first, with stats to follow if'n you like the idea:

Josh Mornston, performance artist (bard)

Josh was supposed to spend his life working at The Steamworks Plant, just like all the other Mornstons. Like Grandpa Jerry, who got tossed on his butt after 50 years of service when his joints couldn't take the strain of riveting any more. Like his father, Joe, who spends every night coughing up the black soot he breathes in while filling the plant's furnaces during the day. Like his mother, Mariah, whose eyes are quickly failing in the low light of the widget sorting room.

Josh had better things to do than live or die as a Steamworks cog. He left behind the life of risking fingers to unjam gears and took to the streets. Cobbling together scraps and cast-offs, co-opting unused alleys, Josh became a performance artist. It didn't make him much money, but his penchant for satirizing the upper class definitely gave him noteriety. Whether that was performance talent, his choice of targets, or the burgeoning more-than-natural gifts he was discovering, "Josh O' The Mornin'" performed to packed alleys, uproarious laughter, and thunderous applause.

That is, until his latest show, wherein he chose to cast Steamworks' board of directors as various barnyard animals. President Moran was particularly furious with Josh's portrayal of him as an incontinent orangutan. While Josh rather vocally argued a man ought to have the right to mock whichever public figures he so chose. Despite Josh's natural and supernatural persuasive skills, the open air court decided otherwise, sentencing him harshly so as to dissuade other social malcontents from following in his footsteps.

Wow, me likey.

Borson

First Post
I was raised poor, had little schooling in anything while I was a youngster except for street fighting. I was taken in by a pugilist when my father was killed in a mining accident, and my mother lost the house on account of no money.. she ended up working and living in a brothel as a maid as soon as my new trainer took me in for understudy... Mother always threatened to send me to a military school when I was in trouble but I knew she never would. I studied fighting most of my teen years, and caused a ruckuss whenever I felt it was needed.
I've been beaten down most of my life, but when my mentor thought I was old enough I was able to enter a fight for real money. I stepped in the ring and knew that from then on I had to fight only in the ring. But my old street enemies got wind of this and provoked me a little too much.. my passion for fighting was uncontrollable and I killed them to protect my ego. Unfortunately for me the law witnessed it all, and here I sit in prison.

Becca Bot

First Post
You already know what I'm making, but I'll say it again: elf ex-slave, in jail as a punishment to the man helping me escape; to show him that his efforts were all for nothing. Boo hoo. Anyhow, I plan on breaking out WITH him, unless you don't want us together. I'll also make my stuff with you.

And next time TELL ME YOU'RE POSTING THIS, SO I AM NOT LAST.

Hee hee.

dave_o

Explorer
Does anyone have a good standardized format for PCs that people can use? I don't wanna have to keep up with a zillion different formats. :heh:

Bront

The man with the probe
Yes, here for a good standard character sheet.

I was thinking Bard, but looks like someone went there. Let me ponder a Rogue or Fighter, not sure which yet. Maybe a little of both.

As for posting from Steam & Sorcery, nothing wrong with a few things, since the character sheets will be public anyway. Just don't do too much (Like the entire book).

Another alternitive is simply e-mail info to those who ask.

You have a link to that book/pdf?

dave_o

Explorer
Bront said:
Yes, here for a good standard character sheet.

I was thinking Bard, but looks like someone went there. Let me ponder a Rogue or Fighter, not sure which yet. Maybe a little of both.

As for posting from Steam & Sorcery, nothing wrong with a few things, since the character sheets will be public anyway. Just don't do too much (Like the entire book).

Another alternitive is simply e-mail info to those who ask.

You have a link to that book/pdf?

Oooh, righteous. Everyone use the form that Bront here posted. Here's a link to the PDF for five bux: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=498.

If you decide you wanna use guns, or make stuff, or wear steamcraft armor, just ask here -- or if you're lookin' for a steamcraft device that does something in specific ask here. :D

Songdragon

Explorer
dave_o...

Would really be interested in this... I'm 0 for 2 in my other PBP here and would love to get in on soemthing that sounds great and fun. If you still have the room. I'll have to read this all again come the morrow, as I need to get some sack time for work in the very early AM. Let me know if you still have space and I can come up with a concept and character in the morning.

~ Songdragon ~

dave_o

Explorer
Songdragon said:
dave_o...

Would really be interested in this... I'm 0 for 2 in my other PBP here and would love to get in on soemthing that sounds great and fun. If you still have the room. I'll have to read this all again come the morrow, as I need to get some sack time for work in the very early AM. Let me know if you still have space and I can come up with a concept and character in the morning.

~ Songdragon ~

I think we've only got one character confirmed, so totally have room here. :D But keep in mind anyone is free to submit a character, and if there are too many I'll just pick the most well thought out ones and let the rest be alts.

Waddya mean by 0 for 2?

Remove ads