• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Robe of safe keeping

Ferret

Explorer
Robe of Safe keeping: This large billowing robe was first used as a traveling robe simply enchanted with an endure elements spell, passed down the generations of wizards; many of these wizards have enchanted the robe over the centuries it has been in use. The first of such enchantments was first used as a variation of the robe of useful items, where not only do some pockets contain items that may be of use, they can also be used to carry 90 lb of items. The most famous use of this robes ability was when Agar the blackened lifted a prison door off of its hinges and placed it into the robe.

The second of the robes abilities is to block the use of a door, it is simply placed over the door so it is completely blocked from view, once the robe is in place the effects of an arcane lock take hold of the door. This quite a frequent way for the cloak to pass hands as the former owner leaves it behind to beat a hasty retreat.

The third of the robes powers can whisk the user and the robe off to a hut with the same specifications as a cottage made by the spell Leomunds Secure Shelter as a free action at will, the shelter however is placed in the astral plane. This ability has confused many lore keepers and spell casters as the spell Refuge does not allow planar travel, and the hut has a chest inside where the items from the first ability are stored.

The items you might find inside the robe are:
• 1 Lamp
• 1 pouch of spell components
• 1 piece of silk rope (50 ft)

Code:
d%	Result
01–08	Bag of 100 gold pieces
09–15	2 socks of random colours
16–50	Door, Iron bars (up to 4 ft. wide and 7 ft. high )
50–51	Gems, no more then 10 (100 gp value each)
52–66	Shard of glass
66–70	Counters
71–76	Bottle of silversheen
77–79	Potion of cure serious wounds
80–85	12 pieces of parchment
86–89	Minor scroll of one randomly determined spell
90–96	Small empty vial
96–98	Metal rod 6 inches long
99–100	Arcane symbol

Moderate Conjuration; CL 18th; Craft Wondrous Item, Arcane lock, Leomunds secret chest, Leomunds Secure shelter, Refuge; Price 2,540,000 gp, Cost 1,295,500; Weight 4 lb.

This is fairly epic so I tenned the price, I think that sucks though.

Norfleet

First Post
Woowee. That's some cost. You know, you gotta hand it to a completely whacked out economy when the value of an item comes out to 25 tons of pure gold. Where would somebody come up with 25 tons of gold to buy this item, and how would they carry it on anything short of a massive caravan?

Admittedly, 2.5 tons of gold is still a lot of freakin' gold. I'd kill people for that kind of money.....and in D&D, most characters certainly have.

You'd think massive hyperinflation like that would greatly spur the development of paper money, since nothing can sanely carry that kind of actual gold around. That, or the D&D economy has actually reverted to a system where gold is worthless except for mundane expenses, and the true currency is in the form of a certain type of rare magic ring that was mass-produced in ages past.

bret

First Post
After the wealth reaches a certain weight, you just start carrying gems and jewelry. That was a common way to carry wealth. I think that trade bars were also used.

With all the other anachronisms, you could certainly start using cheques in their original form. A cheque started out as a form of IOU from a trading company, and was only as good as the word of the trading company. In a magical world with Paladins, Bards, and divination magic this system should be reasonably safe. Then again, if the trading company goes bankrupt you are out your money.

As for the item, why would you need to block the door when you can just wisk yourself off to a safe location on the astral plane? Seems like you would only need one or the other capability.

dkoz

First Post
Seems like a pretty cool item Ferret, but I would have made the Leomund's Shelter a regular action instead of a free one.

bret, 2,000,000+ gp in jewelry and gems, eh? Can you say "Bling, Bling"?
:)

dkoz

Last edited:

bret

First Post
dkoz said:
bret, 2,000,000+ gp in jewelry and gems, eh? Can you say "Bling, Bling"?
:)
dkoz

I think that you could reasonably get that for a royal crown or a few famous paintings. Art objects can be very light for their value.

As I recall, it is 10 coins per pound. 2 million GP as platinium pieces are still 10 tons of coin. I think you could find stuff with a lot better value / weight or volumn ratio.

If nothing else, do it in magical rings. At a minimum value of 1000gp sale value per ring, it is still a lot easier to transport 2000 rings than the equivilent number of platinium coins.

Norfleet

First Post
Ferret said:
Platinum!

How'd you get 2.5 tons?
Price: 2540K GP. Number of coins per pound: 50.
Number of pounds 2540K GP weighs: 50800 lbs.
Number of pounds in a ton: 2000.
Number of tons 2540K GP weighs: 25.4 t.

He said that he multipled the price by a factor 10: Number of tons 254K GP weighs: 2.54 t.
Plat is also a factor of 10, so using plat for the original inflated price, 2.54 t. Using plat for the non 10x price is 0.254 t.

Running a direct conversion of this into modern terms, where plat is ~$700 per troy oz, gives 700*0.254*2000*16/1.1 = $5.17M

With gold, the figure is somewhat more unwieldy: Gold is ~$370 per troy oz, which gives us 350*2.54*2000*16/1.1 = $27M.

That is a hell of a lot of money for such an item. You can purchase a heck of a lot of blackmarket antitank weaponry for 30 million bucks.

bret

First Post
Ferret said:
I though it was 50?

You are correct. I checked the rules, it is 50 coins to the pound.

The point still stands that you want something with a higher value per pound than coins.

Remove ads