• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Robe of the Archmagi - Bless and Spell Resistance.........riiiiiiiiiight.....

Mulkhoran

First Post
Has anyone else noticed this? Robe of the Archmagi has, as two of it's prerequisites, Bless and Spell Resistance. Both divine spells ONLY.

WTF?? One of the penultimate item's of a mage's craft requires him to collaborate with a cleric on it's crafting? Who came up with this?

Have you fixed/changed this in your games, and if so, how?

Mulkhoran

First Post
Re: Re: Robe of the Archmagi - Bless and Spell Resistance.........riiiiiiiiiight.....

kreynolds said:
Yes. The word "magi" encompasses sorcerers, wizards, and priests.

1.) That is VERY MUCH your interpertation of the term.

2.) It also requires Mage Armor, meaning that collaboration is necessary. This doesn't strike you as silly?

drowdude

First Post
Re: Re: Robe of the Archmagi - Bless and Spell Resistance.........riiiiiiiiiight.....

kreynolds said:
Yes. The word "magi" encompasses sorcerers, wizards, and priests.

Uh-huh, and that's why the robe specifies that it only works for *arcane* spellcasters right? ;)

Mr Fidgit

First Post
Mulkhoran said:
Has anyone else noticed this?
yup. there are several items in the DMG that need both arcane and divine creators:

Boots of the Winterlands
Eyes of Doom
Obsidian Steed figurine (although a cleric with the Travel domain could make it (fly spell))
Mask of the Skull
Mirror of Mental Prowess
Rope of Entanglement
Stone Horse
Helm of Brilliance
Mulkhoran said:
Have you fixed/changed this in your games, and if so, how?
so far it hasn't come up, but i would probably make my player's PC search out an appropriate caster to help with the item creation

drowdude

First Post

Mr Fidgit said:
so far it hasn't come up, but i would probably make my player's PC search out an appropriate caster to help with the item creation

I think what Mulk is getting at is that the Robe of the Archmagi is a quintessential-wizard item. Something that is a hallmark of a high-level mage.

And it is somewhat insulting that they have to run over to the local high-priest and beg off some divine magic to make such an item. It's fine for all those other items you mentioned, because they are more general in nature.

Mulkhoran

First Post

Mr Fidgit said:

yup. there are several items in the DMG that need both arcane and divine creators:

Boots of the Winterlands
Eyes of Doom
Obsidian Steed figurine (although a cleric with the Travel domain could make it (fly spell))
Mask of the Skull
Mirror of Mental Prowess
Rope of Entanglement
Stone Horse
Helm of Brilliance

Yes, I know there are many items that require collaboration. But ALL OF THOSE can be used by either party that collaborates on them. The robe can only be used by Arcane Casters. Which seems patently ridiculous.

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Robe of the Archmagi - Bless and Spell Resistance.........riiiiiiiiiight.....

Mulkhoran said:
1.) That is VERY MUCH your interpertation of the term.

No. That is the definition in the dictionary. It is the plural form of Magus.

Main Entry: ma·gus
Pronunciation: 'mA-g&s
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural ma·gi /'mA-"jI, 'ma-/
Etymology: Latin, from Greek magos -- more at MAGIC
Date: 1621
1 a : a member of a hereditary priestly class among the ancient Medes and Persians b often capitalized : one of the traditionally three wise men from the East paying homage to the infant Jesus
2 : MAGICIAN, SORCERER

Mulkhoran said:
2.) It also requires Mage Armor, meaning that collaboration is necessary. This doesn't strike you as silly?

Nope. It wouldn't be the first item that requires collaberation, and the DMG fully supports such a thing.

Mr Fidgit

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Robe of the Archmagi - Bless and Spell Resistance.........riiiiiiiiiight.....

Mulkhoran said:
Yes, I know there are many items that require collaboration... The robe can only be used by Arcane Casters.
ah, i see what you mean.

when the DMG first was released, i started making lists of which items required what spells, the type of caster and levels needed because my first 3e PC was a wizard who i was making to 'test' the new item creation rules

[edit - which is why i had that list ready, just to give some more examples...]

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post

drowdude said:
Uh-huh, and that's why the robe specifies that it only works for *arcane* spellcasters right? ;)

Please understand that I intend no insult, but what is your point?
confused-yellow.gif

EDIT: This is the very reason why the robe is so cheap. It gets a price discount for being restrited to arcane spellcasters.

If your comment was just a joke, please disregard my statement as one coming from a person that hasn't had enough coffee yet. :D

Last edited:

Remove ads