• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Robe of the archmagi

ChefOrc

First Post
I was trying to derive the cost of this wondrous item, but I don't even come close. Can someone help?

Here's what I have:

+5 armor bonus AC: 25 000gp
Spell resistance 18: 60 000gp
+4 resistance bonus to saving throws: 16 000gp
+2 enhancement bonus to CL checks against SR: 5000gp (really not sure???)

Then, everything except SR gets a 50% increase in price because they are multiple different abilities.

+5 armor bonus AC: 37 500gp
Spell resistance 18: 60 000gp
+4 resistance bonus to saving throws: 24 000gp
+2 enhancement bonus to CL checks against SR: 7500gp

Total: 129 000gp

Then, because there is an alignment restriction, there is a 30% price reduction

Total: 90 300gp

Listed price in the DMG: 75 000gp

ChefOrc

First Post
Well, that does bring the price very close to the listed price. But is this logical? Could you say that a +2 str +2 dex +2 con belt has similar abilities because it is standard fighter boosts?

Jarrod

First Post
The RoA is an example of how the formulas occasionally need to be tweaked.

Think of it in terms of usefulness.

+5 armor bonus: whoopty.
SR 18: well, anyone above your level needs a whopping 2 on the roll.
Save bonus and + to spell penetration: wonderful.

Therefore the formula price is too high, so they tweaked it down.

The best example of that I've ever seen, btw, is in Tome and Blood. They price out the Belt of Many Pouches, and then turn around and say "Man that's expensive. So we'll quarter it."

RigaMortus2

First Post
Jarrod said:
SR 18: well, anyone above your level needs a whopping 2 on the roll.

IIRC, Spell Resistance from multiple sources do stack (I could be wrong here). At the level one would attain such an item, it is possible they have something else to boost their SR (like a spell, PrC, racial trait or another magic item).

My favorite thing to do in 3.0 was to make a Drow Monk/Forsaker... Great saving throws, and the SR from being a Drow and a Forsaker stacked.

Jarrod

First Post
Umm... I certainly don't think so.

Huh. My scan of the SRD was certainly unenlightening. However, most items say "grants the wearer SR <n>". Not "A bonus to Spell Resistance", but a flat amount. That indicates (to me) that they don't stack; you simply get the highest value.

Hypersmurf? :)

FEADIN

Explorer
He is right, the Forsaker in 3.0 edition (disappeared in 3.5, maybe Occult Slayer) had stackable SR :eek:
But in all others cases, unless specified they DON'T stack.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads