• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Robert Downey Jr. is not Tony Stark

Bullgrit

Adventurer
(I have not yet seen Iron Man 3.)

Despite what Stan Lee has said about RDJ's portrayal of Tony Stark, this is something that has a little bit bugged me. I do like RDJ's playing of Stark, but his characterization is not anything like the Tony Stark I know from the comics, (of the 70s, 80s, 90s). Tony in the comics was never witty and clever and snarky. Tony in the comics seems more businesslike, whereas the Tony in the movies seems more a playboy.

In the comics, Tony uses the armor to help people, to be a hero. In the movies, Tony uses the armor as a big toy.

Am I the only one who's noticed this? Am I the only one who cares?

Bullgrit

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Not the only one but who reads comics any more? Rich-smart-wise cracking-playboy, plays better on the big screen, it is more appealing than civic minded national industrialist.

Super Pony

Studded Muffin
I spent a lot of time when I was younger paying less attention to Iron Man in favor of the other Avengers, Hulk, the Fantastic 4, the X-men, Spiderman and others in the Marvel universe. I don't think RDJ's performance is really the only factor here. The writing for Iron Man / Stark in the movies has been closer to 90's Spiderman in terms of whit and antics, imo (something the Macguire and newer reboot Spiderman have failed to capture, ironicly). I certainly think RDJ's look is fairly in line with Mr. Stark. But in general the movie adaption of the character is its own thing. I am not sure if the Tony Stark and Iron Man from the original material would have been as big a hit.

:edit: My apathy toward Iron Man makes my avatar choice a bit off key, I'll admit. But who doesn't love a good martini in power armor? :p

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
IM was always one of my faves- personally, I find Downey's performance dead on. Kind of like Bruce Wayne, Tony Stark "cultivated an image of being an international playboy" (paraphrasing several online sources) even though both were considerably more serious, deep down.

That was part of what precipitated his slide into alcoholism- the act became the reality, and when things got bad, he was unable to help himself.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Super Pony said:
The writing for Iron Man / Stark in the movies has been closer to 90's Spiderman in terms of whit and antics, imo (something the Macguire and newer reboot Spiderman have failed to capture, ironicly).
Yes, I've noticed that too. Good point.

Bullgrit

Janx

Hero
IM was always one of my faves- personally, I find Downey's performance dead on. Kind of like Bruce Wayne, Tony Stark "cultivated an image of being an international playboy" (paraphrasing several online sources) even though both were considerably more serious, deep down.

That was part of what precipitated his slide into alcoholism- the act became the reality, and when things got bad, he was unable to help himself.

When IronMan was announced as a coming film, everybody I know was like "why the heck would they pick a nobody like Iron Man to do a film about?" Now fans of Avengers and IM may writhe in fury over that, but seriously. Sales of Avengers and IM were not as high as Spidey and the X titles. Why do you think Wolverine was ported to the Avengers? Why do you think when Marvel shut down almost all of their comic lines, they kept the X-titles?

So, from that standpoint, when the film hit the market, and folks like me saw it, we were quite impressed, IM was one of the best Marvel movies and IM was one of the best written characters.

So from a movie is different from comic book argument? Mission accomplished.

The movie captured a version of IM that resonated best with audiences.

'Nuff said.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Personally, I care more about entertainment value than fidelity, especially when it comes to comic books. Reinvention is de rigeur in the comic book world, and I'm guessing I'm not the only one who had never heard of Iron Man before the movies. The on screen character is entertaining and just impactful enough to make for a watchable movie.

pindercarl

First Post
(I have not yet seen Iron Man 3.)
I agree that Tony Stark in the movies is a bit over-the-top and, played by any other actor, wouldn't work as well. However, I highly recommend that you give the third movie a shot. Shane Black does an excellent job of humanizing Tony Stark and exploring what it might be like to be a normal person with technological powers in a world of heroes and villains with "real" powers. At least in the first half of the movie. In the second half, it sort of devolves into a super-hero smash 'em up movie. I'm a big fan of Shane Black's work and this movie is very much "Long Kiss Goodnight" with super-powers.

Robert Downey Jr. is not Tony Stark

I don't know. Have we ever seen RDJ and Tony Stark, together, at the same time? No? Preponderance of the evidence to date thus suggests that RDJ is Tony Stark!

BTW, by the same logic ... I'm Batman.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I don't know. Have we ever seen RDJ and Tony Stark, together, at the same time? No? Preponderance of the evidence to date thus suggests that RDJ is Tony Stark!

BTW, by the same logic ... I'm Batman.
Never seen Bill Gates and Tony Stark together but then never seen RDJ and Bill together. MMMM, has Tony and Bruce ever been shown together? Could Tony be Batman and Bruce be Iron Man? Affleck was Superman, Dare Devil and is going to be Batman, maybe he is Tony.

Last edited:

Remove ads