Robert Jordan Conan Stories, are other Conan stories like this?

Pbartender

First Post
Orius said:

I'm aware of de Camp's changes. I think in fact his changes make me dislike his work more so than I might had I been unaware of them. And I don't really like the way de Camp wrote Conan anyway; his style is a lot different than Howard's

Hrm... Well that's disappointing. I hadn't realize the 'edits' were so extensive. Probably why I thought de Camp's style was so similar to Howard's. Very disappointing.

But I still like de Camp's pastiches better than Jordan's.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I'm of a mind that de Camp's changes did less to influence the Howard work than Howard's work did to influence de Camp... ;)

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
I read a lot of pulp literature, if I can get my hands on it. I love
these stories for the ideas, style and just general imagination, but
they really do tend to be badly written. After all, many authors of
these stories weren't in fact one guy, but a pen name, used by
several. So the writing style and quality is very uneven.

So I didn't expect much from the Howard stories when I started
reading them, but boy, was I wrong. I haven't read any of the
Conan stories by other authors.

Last edited:

Lurks-no-More

First Post
There is no Conan but Howard's original Conan.
Accept no substitutes!

(Seriously, the originals rock. The less it's said about de Camp's and Jordan's stories, the better.)

mmadsen

First Post
There is no Conan but Howard's original Conan. Accept no substitutes!
I couldn't agree more. The difference between Robert E. Howard's original Conan stories and the various pastiches is not a subtle difference; it's night and day.

dagger

Adventurer
Ive pretty much read all the Conan stuff I can get my hands on in the last 18 years and I would have to say Howard and Jordan are the best.

I think my favorite story is the one where Conan actually goes through a portal into a netherworld to rescue the a disposable wench queen.

Also has a lot of combat army vs army style........several barbarian king armies going at it.

Orius

Legend
dagger said:
Ive pretty much read all the Conan stuff I can get my hands on in the last 18 years and I would have to say Howard and Jordan are the best.

I think my favorite story is the one where Conan actually goes through a portal into a netherworld to rescue the a disposable wench queen.

I think I might have read that one, I don't really remember.

Anyway, I've read some of the TOR Conan novels, some are crap, some are pretty fun reads. Of the Jordan ones, the two that I remember as being the most interesting was one where he's a mercenary in Koth and he goes into these dungeon below a castle in one part, and another where he gets poisoned, and travels to Vendhya looking for a cure. I don't remember the titles, but they're the two I'd like to reread the most.

Of the other TOR novels written by people other than Jordan there are three that stick out in my mind. Conan the Fearless, in which he takes a job as a bodyguard to some old wizard. That one is a blast to read, he's young and cocky, still in the thief phase of his life, and he gets in a lot of trouble. The story is kind of cheesy from what I remember, but in a fun cheese kind of way. Second is Conan the Valorous, or something. It's another entertaining read, he goes back to Cimmeria, and fights some bad guys that seem like they came out of the Cthulhu mythos or something. Last is Conan the Marauder. This one is a pretty damn good story. There's this young Hyrkanian chief trying to united the tribes, like a Genghis Khan sort of guy. Anyway Conan gets captured by the Hyrkanians, but the chief is impressed with Conan's fighting spirit, and makes him one of his warleaders. Though naturally, it doesn't last, but it's still one of my favorites.

Remove ads