• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Robilar's Challenge or Karmic Strike

hong

WotC's bitch
Which would you pick?

Robilar's Challenge (PHB2): opponents get +4 attack and damage against you, you get AoO on them for every attack they make, prereqs Combat Reflexes

Karmic Strike (CW, previously OA): opponents get +4 attack against you, you get AoO on them for every hit they make, prereqs Dodge, Combat Expertise

Victim

First Post
I think Robilar's is usually going to better, if you have the BaB for it. First of all, you can use it effectively with solid defenses (such as % chance to miss effects since foes get an attack bonus) to minimize the downsides and still get your free attacks. Also, the +4 attack is generally going to add far more nastiness than +4 damage. If you can handle the AC penalty, then you can probably handle the damage. Finally, the prereq feat works perfectly with the gambit, since you'll want combat reflexes even if it's not required to get more free attacks.

Of course, if you really want to screw people who hit you, you can take both of them. Take one AoO for the swing, and one for the hit. Combine with that PHB2 swap for double damage if you only take 1 attack as FRA since the bonus applies to all your AoO.

Bagpuss

Legend
With either feat is you get Deft Opportunist +4 on AoO and have Combat Expertise, and you can negate their attack bonus, while still having the same chance to hit with your AoOs.

hanniball

First Post
Karmic Strike. Robilar's Gambit requires a +12 BAB, you can get Karmic Strike at first level if you're a Fighter or if flaws are allowed.

Either way...just my 2 cp

Drowbane

First Post
Bagpuss said:
With either feat is you get Deft Opportunist +4 on AoO and have Combat Expertise, and you can negate their attack bonus, while still having the same chance to hit with your AoOs.

blargney the second said:
With Bagpuss' suggestion, the edge goes to Karmic Strike. I think I'm going to have to try that combo out sometime...

Actually with that combo the edge goes to Roblilar's Gambit. RG gives you the AoO as long as they attack you. KS only gives you AoO if they hit you.

Clear winner, RG... assuming you can afford the BAB 12 requirement.

RigaMortus2

First Post
If you have both, and an opponent attacks and hits you, do they provoke 2 AoOs? One from each feat? And more importantly, can you take both AoOs against them (assuming you have Combat Reflexes, which I think it a prereq, but not sure)???

hong

WotC's bitch
RigaMortus2 said:
If you have both, and an opponent attacks and hits you, do they provoke 2 AoOs? One from each feat? And more importantly, can you take both AoOs against them (assuming you have Combat Reflexes, which I think it a prereq, but not sure)???
I wouldn't allow it.

Remove ads